General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race coming up, advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 12:49 AM

Subject: First race coming up, advice?
So with likely not enough training, I've decided to do my first triathlon September 1st (Sprint: 700m/16mile/3mile). I have a few questions and am seeking any other advice you can give. One, here's the big thing that worries me, but what's a good idea for a pre-race meal. I'm going to need something for sure, I'll probably have a big dinner the night before, but I have an extremely fast metabolism, so I'll have to eat something the morning of. So what are good things that don't sit too heavy on the stomach? Second, I don't own a wetsuit, should I just wear my tri-shorts and jersey the whole race, or should I maybe put the jersey on at the bike leg instead? What about any training the few days before? Should I just do low-intensity stuff to stay limber? I'm likely in over my head and I know it, but I'm going to have fun, and I am going to finish, and that's really all I care about, but there's all these little details that I'm curious about that others probably know that could make my race just that much easier. I'm sure such a post has been done before, but I figure since I do have some specific questions I'll just post it again.

2008-08-19 1:31 AM
in reply to: #1612654

Subject: RE: First race coming up, advice?

1.  Do you need a wetsuit?  As long as the water is warm enough go with your tri shorts for the swim and put the jersey on later if you want.  If it's a cycling jersey I'd take it off for the run. 

2.  In the next few weeks, try some different things before morning workouts and see what works.  It should be something you're used to.  Spreading it out helps it not sit in your stomach.  I Start with some whole grains and protein, then some fruit and finally (if your stomach can handle it) a gel with caffiene or a my favorite, Starbucks Espresso doubleshot.

2008-08-19 1:48 AM

User image

Veteran

For meals, try things out and find what works best for you.
Often, a high carb-meal about 12 hours before your race is what alot of people do. A good high carb meal, is Pasta with sauce, and bread, and lots of water!!
For the breakfast of, make sure you try it out before race day, nothing is worse than having a log in your stomach. What I eat on race day, about an hour before start is Oatmeal, and a banana, and water.
Also, for what you are going to wear, make sure you practice in it and feel comfortable in it.

Good luck.

Edit: Make sure you don't eat an apple before racing. Apples are runners worst nightmare. 

Edited by SmBkRn450 2008-08-19 1:49 AM
2008-08-19 2:35 AM

User image

Veteran
I`ve finished my first 2 tris over the summer and I would recomend doing a swim warm up before the race starts. In my second race I did this and the swim went much beter. You warm up your upper body and you are not surprised if the water is cold.
just my two cents
good luck and have fun
2008-08-19 3:22 AM

User image

New user

Baltimore
I just did my first tri last Sunday.  I probably didn't train as much as I should and I knew little of nutrition for the race.  My goal was to cross the finish line and to do so in under 3 hrs (I also did a sprint).  I was advised (on BT) to enjoy the day...take everything in.  I took each event as I came to it and finished in 2 hrs 43 min.  Maybe next time I will be faster but I finished and it was an awesome experience.  So I guess my advice to you (along with the other great advice you've gotten) would be to enjoy your day......good luck!
2008-08-19 11:10 AM

User image

How much training is likely not enough? I am guessing a 700M swim is in open water, and likely not parallel to a beach the whole time in shallow water.

Have you done any open water swim (OWS) yet? How often and far do you swim?

The swimming preparedness may affect my answer. How cold will the water be?

I would try anything in training before doing it in the race, especially food. I am partial to a bagel with peanut butter 3 hours before race time, but it is up to you. I would not wear the jersey during the swim because of the extra drag, but others say to wear it or go without.

2008-08-19 11:25 AM

User image

Nampa, Idaho
My biggest mistake when training for my first tri: Not practicing in open water. 500 meters is a lot farther than it looks when you're actually in the water. I swore that the finish was actually getting farther away. Not sure how that worked. The last 100 meters the only thing going through my head over and over was "Just get the hell out of the water".

The other thing: Goggle defogger. The finish can be really hard to see from the water. It's a tiny little spec. And lightly fogged up goggles are no biggy in the pool but awful in open water. I had this problem in both my tris.(I'm still a newbie too!)

For nutrition: everyone is different. Me personally? I prefer mostly liquid supplements for the day prior and morning of. I love slimfast. It works great for me.

Make sure you have fun! I had so much fun my first tri. I just couldn't stop smiling. Well, except for those last 100 meters on the swim!
2008-08-19 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

Dont eat anything solid after 5pm.  You want to digest everything and hopefully 12 hours will give you enough time to 'get rid of everything' before the race starts.   In the morning, I had a two eggs and a smoothie before I left my house, a clif bar when I got there and a gel 15 minutes before the race.

I didnt do anything too strenuous a couple days before, but did enough to keep my muscles active.  The day before my race, I just worked on my transitions.  That way I also knew I had everything I needed before I packed it up.

2008-08-19 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Practice your transitions!!!  Seriously.  Lay it out in the yard and practice.  Turn on the hose, get wet.  Run to the bike, put on shoes/helmet and ride around the block.  Come back, switch shoes and off on the run.  Do this until it feels automatic.  It really helps. 

And it gives your neighbors entertainment for the afternoon. 

2008-08-19 4:56 PM

Well, thank you all for the responses so far, I'll throw a little information out there to fill in some blanks. I'm pulling this together at the last minute more or less, I'm broke from a rough transition from my previous job, and school is starting up soon, etc. etc. so I'm  doing this on the bare minimum right now. The last released data about the water temperature is that it was 77 degrees, today though we got a downpour, so that may change. I don't own a wetsuit and won't have the money for one before this race, so all I have is tri shorts and a tri jersey. I'll be biking in my running shoes on platform pedals because I don't think I'll be able to get real pedals and shoes before then, and that is going to be really funny, because my friend is letting me borrow one of his bikes, it's a carbon fiber Trek with full Dura Ace, and I'm going to be racing it with platform pedals, looking like a totally gumbie Cool I know I should be better equipped, but I really just want to pull this off, I'll be better prepared for my next race, but with school starting back up I'm not sure when that might be, so yeah, I'm going to go out there half prepared and have a hell of a time, which is what this race is all about, there's live music and themed sections of the race, it's not a serious race anyways. As for what condition I'm in, I used to be a competitive swimmer, granted that was years ago, but it has come back to me fairly easily, and swimming 2000m isn't a huge deal for me. Biking on the other hand, well, that's my worst discipline right now, until I got the bug to try a triathlon, I hadn't seriously biked at all, biked all over when I was young, but nothing serious. I know I can do 16 miles on a bike with fairly good time, but I'm not sure about how I'll do on the run after that, and I haven't had alot of time to do any serious brick workouts, so I'll likely just take it easy on the bike as I know that I can do the 3 miles if I don't overexert myself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First race coming up, advice? Rss Feed