General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another running with dog question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: Another running with dog question

I have a 5 month old yellow lab. I do a lot of walking with him, this morning I took him to the track with me for my workout. I thought he would walk around and play while I ran. He did a lot of running/trotting with me. He would stop and sniff around and a few times he would flop down in the grass but as soon as I got to him he would start running again.

I ran 5 miles, is this too much for him? I tried to do some walking in circles in between sets but he would still follow me.

Thanks

2008-08-19 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1614069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Subject: RE: Another running with dog question

A lab puppy that likes to run?  Color me shocked!

A dog will stop when it's tired.  Sounds like you've got a good friend! 

2008-08-19 2:09 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
That's probably a little too far for a young dog and for a retriever. I have two Golden's, both are about 5 years old and they are good for maybe 2 miles. You have to be careful with all the hip issue's retrivers are prone to have, so I would keep the mileage down.
2008-08-19 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

I agree with the concern over the hips, but you really can't stop a 5 month old puppy
when it wants to run ... can you?

I've got an 8 month old golden that seems to never stop moving ... until she stops. She'll get tired and just lay down. And that's it. If we're a few miles from home, I'm screwed

**Edited to add that I am NOT a vet** 

Edited by Poster Nutbag 2008-08-19 2:13 PM
2008-08-19 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
My vet recommended I not run with our Golden Retriever until he was at least 1 year old.  This being because their body is growing so fast they are more susceptible to injury.   Just passing on what I was told.  Wish you many happy runs together!
2008-08-19 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1614089

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Poster Nutbag - 2008-08-19 2:12 PM

I agree with the concern over the hips, but you really can't stop a 5 month old puppy
when it wants to run ... can you?

I've got an 8 month old golden that seems to never stop moving ... until she stops. She'll get tired and just lay down. And that's it. If we're a few miles from home, I'm screwed

**Edited to add that I am NOT a vet** 

LOL! I've been on that run a few times! Dragging my dog at the end of the leash just to get home all the while waiting for someone to report my to the ASPCA!

2008-08-19 2:30 PM

Illinois

I do some field training and agility training with German Shorthaired Pointers.  I never do any endurance training/running with them until they are a year old.  They still have open growth plates that can be easily injured resulting in growth arrest.  However, I am all for letting them be puppies.  Obedience training, swimming, and playing is not an issue.  Let them tire themselves out.  A tired puppy is a good puppy.  I just don't do endurance runs with them.  My 2 cents. 

Brian

2008-08-19 2:48 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Ditto on the 1 year guideline. I've got a 5 month old Golden and the vet recommended the same timeframe for anything other than run around and play.
2008-08-19 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Yup, agree with BBD and Dgunthert. Growth plates not closed are prone to injury. Good that you were on a track/grass though, that's softer on the joints and pads.

And actually, while they sometimes seem to have some tiny amount of quittin' sense to lay down or stop, they don't really always use it. My corgi stayed with my in-laws for the weekend several years back, and they had a pool. Some friends were over with their kids in the pool. My corgi thought he was in heaven running and barking and chasing the kids and the water... and running and running, and no one noticed that he had ran his feet bloody on the poolside surface until there were lots of bloody footprints. My in-laws felt terrible, the vet could do nothing, and he literally laid on his side the rest of the weekend. His dish was brought to him, he ate laying down. To eliminate, he was carried outside, he stood in the spot he was set down in and peed/etc. Then stood there until he was carried back in and he laid on his side. Poor little idiot.  So if something is really interesting - they got no quittin' sense at all.

2008-08-19 4:26 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Oh wow yes, 5 miles is WAAAAY to far for a 5-month old pup.
Most vets recommend working UP to a high mileage. Just like you would. Would you have your 10-year old child begin by running 5-miles for his first run? A puppy is no different.

A puppy will also NOT stop when he is tired. They aim to please. They want to be near you.

Please... start back at around 1/2 mile and work your way up with the puppy over an extended period of time.
2008-08-19 4:40 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

The one year old rule makes sense.  Both of my goldens were already older than that when I got them (one from a humane society shelter, the other from golden retriever rescue). The first was 2 when I got her, the other was estimated to be about 1. They would run till their legs fell off, until they got too old (7 or 8). My older dog once (when she was about 2) kept up with me on a 10 mile mountain bike ride (though I never did that with her again). The only time I had trouble was when the younger dog took off and got himself turned around. By the time I caught up with him, he must have covered a good 10 miles, and refused to walk the 2 miles back to the car. Fortunately, we were close to another trailhead, so mrs gearboy stayed with him while I got the car, drove around to the other trailhead, and walked/carried him the quartermile or so to the new trailhead.

If you give him about a year, your lab will drive you into the ground if you try to keep up with his energy.  I'd consider training a HIM or IM if you keep running with him!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another running with dog question Rss Feed