CityTri
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 37s
Overall Rank = 55/238
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/35
Pre-race routine:

Up about 4:00 A.M.. Ate a bowl of cheerio's and some OJ before packing up the bike and hitting the road about 4:45. Stopped at WaWa for coffee and some G2. Ate a powerbar. Arrived at Tuckahoe Inn a little after 5:30, parked and found registration area.
Event warmup:

Really nothing...Talked to some fellow participants, set up transition area and walked down to the bay to check out the water. Walked around a bit as well. Went to the potty twice...of course. Hydrated with the G2.
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

The OWS always makes me nervous. I seeded myself in the middle of the pack and did get off to an ok start. Was bumped a bit by the other swimmers but it didn't shake me up this time. I just kept plugging away. I could have started out faster and more up front. I really think it would help me improve my time. I did make some sighting mistakes as I should be looking up every 5-6 strokes and probably averaged every 10-15 strokes. I did freestyle the entire race. Heart rate was up pretty good heading into transition as I started to kick harder towards the end.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better...seed myself up towards the front....
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I ROCKED this transition. 57 seconds was 7th fastest in the race and best in my AG. I used my new 'tri' shoes that don't require me to wear socks. I boogied up out of the water and right to my bike, shoes on, glasses on, helmet on and I ran out....getting up to speed was not my best part of the race. I'm struggling with my current pedals and think I need to move to the Look set up or something easier...I'm using the egg beater style and I always have trouble getting clipped in.

Not much...my poor result getting up to speed is probably leading me to change my pedals...
Bike
  • 37m 32s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Was shooting to average more in the 21-22 MPH range but I didn't get up to speed quick enough and my heart rate was too high coming out of transition. I felt pretty strong on the ride as I finished 9th in my AG and passed many folks but also was passed by a few on better 'tri' bikes as well. Did compete with entrant #108 as we kept passing each other. I ended up coming in ahead of him....but he was to catch me during the run...more to come.

I need to continue to get stronger in the legs and upgrade to a tri bike or some better wheels...another MPH or two and I place in my age group.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

So this was strange...I crushed the first transition but this one I did just 'ok' on...just 14th of 35 in my AG and 102nd overall...I think it has more to do with the fact that I ran the wrong direction on the way out and had to do a quick turn around. I think that added a good 10 seconds to my time...so should have been under 1 min.

Know where I'm going???? otherwise, not much else. I went as quickly as I could...maybe I could forgo socks on such a short 2 mile run.
Run
  • 16m 1s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, so it felt a lot slower than 8 minute miles but there they were on the results sheet.... This was the fastest race I've run all year so I'm happy with the time. I know I can get better. That #108 dude that raced me during the bike..well he caught up to me during the run and passed me with a quarter mile to go....BUT I put on the kick and passed him at the end! Yeah!

Just keep training with bricks...still don't feel like I get enough time to go 'bike/run'...legs felt like bricks first 1/2 mile but had plenty at the end for a kick. Next year...sub 7:30 or 7:00 miles!
Post race
Warm down:

Not too much..stretched a bit, ran into some friends, ate some food, waited for awards...I guess I could jog around or something.......anyway, I felt good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of brick training on bike to run, seed myself higher in swim and get stronger engine/faster wheels on bike. Next year goal is to finish in or under 1 hour. Turns out my best event was the bike with a 9th place AG finish and worst was the swim with a 17th place AG finish. Run was pretty good at 11th of 35. Definately right where I want to be for next year...should be an opportunity to place!

Event comments:

Great race...short, but fun! Weather was perfect. Will definately do this again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 440 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/35
Overall: 85/238
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle based course, out and back. (you can see the buoys in the attached picture)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:32 | 12 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 59/238
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:01 | 02 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 72/238
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-20 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon

2009-08-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1615483

Subject: RE: Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon
I'm scheduled to do this race tomorrow. It's my first tri. Thanks for posting this it really helped out reading this.

Edited by surfskidude827 2009-08-15 1:47 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tuckahoe Triathlon and Duathlon Rss Feed