General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone else read the Hammer nutrition information? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-20 10:18 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Does anyone else read the Hammer nutrition information?

I ordered some Enduralyte and with it came a box of Hammer propaganda. Just for kicks I started reading one of the booklets I think it is called "Endurance Athlete's guide to Sucess" or something similar to this. It talks about endurance fueling strategies and of course suggests the use of many different Hammer products. This is expected and understood. My question is regardless of what product they recommend do you think the research is valid. For example one of the things they address is the bodies ability to absorb solid nutrition as opposed to liquid nutrition while exercising. I never really thought about this before, but it makes sense. They also caution you against topping off your energy supplies within 3 hours of beginning exercise as this triggers the faster burning of glycogen stores. Is this a fact?

chevy57 

2008-08-20 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1616014

User image

Subject: RE: Does anyone else read the Hammer nutrition information?
chevy57 - 2008-08-20 11:18 AM

I ordered some Enduralyte and with it came a box of Hammer propaganda. Just for kicks I started reading one of the booklets I think it is called "Endurance Athlete's guide to Sucess" or something similar to this. It talks about endurance fueling strategies and of course suggests the use of many different Hammer products. This is expected and understood. My question is regardless of what product they recommend do you think the research is valid. For example one of the things they address is the bodies ability to absorb solid nutrition as opposed to liquid nutrition while exercising. I never really thought about this before, but it makes sense. They also caution you against topping off your energy supplies within 3 hours of beginning exercise as this triggers the faster burning of glycogen stores. Is this a fact?

chevy57

It is marketing material to promote and support their products. Edit: I have not read the literature you are referring to so I am going off what you wrote. I do use 2 of their products but I purchase them locally...so no marketing goodies for me.

It is scientifically proven that liquids are absorbed faster than solid foods.

It is scientifically proven that a high carb low fat meal consumed 3 hours before an endurance event will allow the body to properly digest it in time to burn it, the meal, as fuel. Therefore, increasing time-to-fatigue....you can go longer before needing to top off. Snacks and small meals are reported to be anywhere from 1.5-2 hours. Each athlete must experiment on their own and in the end use familiar foods each time.

Best of Luck

International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Metabolism, 2000, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 103-113

USA Cycling Sports Science

Edited by reconbyfire 2008-08-20 12:19 PM
2008-08-20 12:12 PM

Expert
I typically had minor stomach issues in my races. Before I did the TTT (one sprint on Friday, two Olys on Saturday, and a HIM on Sunday), I read quite a bit on nutrition, including the book on nutrition for endurance athletes. Since Hammer was to be served during the race, I got some of their stuff. They sent the brochure with all the fueling strategies. It worked our very well, no GI issues, and no energy issues. The point about not eating 3 hours before a race of 1.5 hours or longer was good advice. Once I stopped eating closer than 3 hours, my stomach issues went away. Also, the advice on how much fluid intake to have per hour and how many calories to take per hour were right on. All my race nutrition strategy came from that brochure, I was way over drinking and taking in too many calories before. Race nutrition is a non-issue for me now.
2008-08-20 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I've read the hammer bible to which you refer, and I think they are pretty fair about being up front that they obviously have product to sell, but also pretty good about not overselling their products in the materials. I found it to be a good and informative read about endurance nutrition, backed up by reasonable explanations, studies, research, and what appeared to be good science (though all may have had some bias). Anyway - I liked it enough that I have passed it along to friends with endurance training nutrition questions.
2008-08-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1616903

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

JoshKaptur - 2008-08-20 3:46 PM I've read the hammer bible to which you refer, and I think they are pretty fair about being up front that they obviously have product to sell, but also pretty good about not overselling their products in the materials. I found it to be a good and informative read about endurance nutrition, backed up by reasonable explanations, studies, research, and what appeared to be good science (though all may have had some bias). Anyway - I liked it enough that I have passed it along to friends with endurance training nutrition questions.

Yes, it is really well written from a standpoint of understanding the process and I too am a proponent of the articles.  There is not all that much self-serving stuff in it and it gives a lot of insight into what is goign on within your body during endurance sports.

There are some things that I agree with a little bit less now after reading other opinions and studies on it (mainly about electrolytes and cramping) but most of their stuff is things that I'll use for discussions on nutrition.

2008-08-20 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
The hammer book is a great baseline to start your nutrition plan from and will give you far beyond the basics. Of course everyone's body is different, so you'll need to play with your final strategy, but it will get you in the ball park and give you a great idea of what your body is doing.

2008-08-20 6:41 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I first read this "book" years ago and over time have found that many of their topics discussed have been valid from my own experience.  Where there are some nuances that differ from athlete to athlete, in general they discuss their opinions based on research and not opinion or hearsay.

I have always found hammer a welcomed breath of air that does not jump on hype or fast-track/cheap-track their products.  Their products and their ingredients are based on research; which is something that sometimes gets missed in all the hype surrounding our sport (magnesium soles on bike shoes, different lay-ups for carbon frames, elasticity differences of titanium grades, etc, etc.).

In my observation, when it comes down to it, they are less interested in being "mass marketed" and more interested in providing a quality product. 

For example, have you ever wondered why gatorade uses simple sugars in their drinks (yes, including their infamous "endurance" formula)?  It's because sucrose, glucose, and fructose taste better to the "masses".

I find it quite ironic that their "endurance" drink includes simple sugars....that concept never ceases to amuse me every time I think about it.

But it doesn't matter that simple sugars are less effective than "complex sugars" (and let's not even get into the simple sugars and free radical discussion) because people buy it, in huge amounts, and gatorade pays HUGE sums of money to get it on as many race courses as possible to "validate" their product.

I know the downsides of simple sugars and know the performance increase I gain from racing and training without them and gatorade only enters my body if that's the last choice I have...

but I digress....

sorry....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does anyone else read the Hammer nutrition information? Rss Feed