United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 31s
Overall Rank = 146/346
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/27
Pre-race routine:

Hit the snooze at 3:50, 4:00, 4:10...finally dragged myself out of bed. OUt the door at 4:30, picked Kim up at 4:45 and off we went - a little earlier than necessary, but that's ok. Brought a bagel with pb&j and ate it right after I parked. Then off to bodymarking, set up both transitions (there are 2) and so on. I had parked my bike outside the building where they had packet pickup, next to kims. She tells me before the race " I have to confess, I knocked your bike over. I think it's ok". I gave it the once over and, other than having to recenter the brakes, all seemed fine. Even checked the computer in transition...alls well.
Event warmup:

Swam a little...the water was 76 deg! I decided to skip the wetsuit, a first for me.
Swim
  • 16m 46s
  • 533 yards
  • 03m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought I was doing really well on this swim right up until I got out of the water...and everyone around me was pulling off YELLOW caps (I was in the pink cap wave...ugh). Although I've since seen the race pics, and there is ONE pink cap behind me in one of the photos :) Supposedly they combined T1 with the bike time but I really think it's in this swim. Even without a wetsuit I'm not this slow! And you really couldn't navigate this one wrong, since it was like swimming in a huge lane.
What would you do differently?:

Beats me. Wear a wetsuit I guess.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was possibly the worst T1 in my personal history. when I got to the rack I just stood there for probably 15 seconds...I had no idea what to do with myself since I had no wetsuit to peel off! Duuuuhhhhhh..... Then as I pulled my bike off the rack it caught on my backpack, which was on the ground. Finally got the bike off and part of the computer (the part down near the crank) flies off into the grass! Pick it up and try to snap it back on but no go, so I stuffed it into my bentobox, where it remains.

UM, everything?
Bike
  • 1h 10m 44s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The skills just followed me into this segment! Immediately - and I mean maybe 2 feet from the timing pad - there is a small but steep hill. Like everyone else, I pushed my bike up in my socks (shoes were clipped to the pedals...this is about to become important). Get on, ride, good. Ooops..here's ANOTHER short n steep climb, the first climb's older and bigger brother apparently. I was in too big a gear for it - hell with it - hopped off to push. And THATs when my dumb shoe got turned under the pedal and caught on the ground. UGGG....fix it....push....happens again. UG! Finally get back on the damn bike and my wobbly self is off. The bike got better quickly though...this is a fun course, it kinda makes me think of a mini IMWI course with lots of climbs and steep twisty downhills. I really pushed on this ride, since I knew I didn't have to run too far after, and it was just too fun NOT to push :) I wish my computer had been working, I'd have liked to have known my average cadence. My gear changes on some of the climbs could have been a lot better. Still no complaints.

Incidentally, my overall speed is reason number two that I think the T1 times were in with the swim. I am seriously shocked with my time, don't see how I was this fast, much less any faster! Not possible, folks. Not in them thar hills.

OH! And there was this woman in a crank daddy's jersey that I played a little leapfrog with before letting her get away...

Better gear changes. Not be a klutz with the shoes on the pedals.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Kept the shoes on and ran in them, since I'd proven my lack of skill once already that day. The run into t2 with the bike is downhill and I felt like I barely had control of my legs after pushing hard on the bike. Otherwise an uneventful t2

Nothing really
Run
  • 27m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Leaving transition and who's in front of me but crank daddy's jersey???? So I pace myself to stay right behind her for a few....over the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go....ok so there wasn't a river. But the first mile-ish is a trail run with a few good ups n downs. She slowed on an uphill....I made my move....success!!!! I hardly ever catch and pass people on the run, at least not without getting re-passed later. I vowed not to let her catch up to me.

The second mile is flat through a subdivision, with a turn-around. About a minute after I turned around I saw her headed the opposite direction into the turn...she looked at me...our eyes met...and we both just grinned. I was pretty sure she wouldn't catch me at that point but ya never know...

Mile three-ish is back into the woods but not as hilly, although there is one doozey just before the finish. Volunteers were yelling "just past the hill and you're done" and I heard the best advice I've ever heard during a race..."use your arms to get up that hill number 94!" Pumped my arms, up and over the hill...done.

Nothing at all :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to find Kim. Looked for crank daddy's jersey to congratulate her on a great race and to thank her for pushing me, but I didn't see her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a clutz. And hills. No idea about that swim.

Event comments:

I'd do this again without even thinking hard about it. And they had some of the best post race food ever, by the way :)

Last updated: 2008-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:46 | 533 yards | 03m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 0/346
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: Straight out, around a bouy for a 45 deg turn, then straight back in to exit at a different spot on the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:10:44 | 22 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hills. Then some more hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:32 | 03.11 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Mile 1 is hilly and woodsy trails, mile 2ish is flat concrete in a subdivision, mile 3 and you're back in the woods, although the hills aren't so bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes