EndorFun
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 16m 54s
Overall Rank = 1400/1506
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 151/162
Pre-race routine:

This was an early one.. We were told the lot at the beach fills up at 5, so we made sure we were up at 4 and on the road by 4:20. We made it there about 4:45 and had no problem parking, although it was already 30% full by that point. didn't have a choice b/c we needed to get back to the hotel and on the road before they kicked us out at 4. had a pb and banana on wheat, and sipped a perpetuem on the way and up to about 1hr before the start. gel 30 min before my wave at 750.
Event warmup:

hung out in the water and on the beach and watched the other 10 waves go off starting at 7.
Swim
  • 45m 35s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

This actually was a good swim. A little slower than last yrs half.. but I think this was a little longer. The weather and water were perfect. Took it pretty easy considering less time in the water training this year. I wanted to make sure I finished this race!
What would you do differently?:

More training, and coudl have pushed a little harder for sure..
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I wasn't in any hurry really.. just happy to be in a great race and having a good time. Jogged out of the water and sat down for wetsuit stripping which was a first.. very fast and would use them again any time they are available in a race..
Bike
  • 3h 58m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.09 mile/hr
Comments:

whoa.. Hills, hills, hills.. Ugh. This was my worst bike split ever, anywhere. Of course, I am all to blame b/c of my lack of time and miles on the bike. So i was actually pleased that I made it through it, and even managed to have an okay run considering how long I was out there! Big goal for me this year was to no crash like I did last yr in montauk 70.3 so that was on my mind the entire time! rt106 got a little noisy with traffic when i was out there all day on the way back. I'm sure it was fine for everyone else! Being in the 11th wave didn't help boost my confidence with other riders being around.. It was pretty quiet out there! :)

WAY more time in the saddle...
Transition 2
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

Found everyhing okay, threw on some more suntan lotion (good idea - I still got a little fried) I was SO happy to just be off the bike and get the stupid helmet off, etc. Can you tell I was sick of riding that long uphill all day? :)

bike faster
Run
  • 2h 24m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

There were times on the bike after hour 3 when i wondered how the hell I would be able to run a half marathon after this lousy ride.. but once I started running, I actually felt pretty good considering. The sponges, and pile of snow (yes, a pile of snow) on the course were GREAT! I had a bottle for the first loop, but ditched it at the turn around b/c the fluids on the run were so abundant and awesome that I didn't need to carry it. The views were amazing along the lake too. I was on my first loop, and a lady just about ready to finish on her second was looking pretty beat.. i said "can't beat that view!" and she said she didn't even look, and just wanted to be home. I thought that was pretty funny. Even after the long day, I finished with a smile on my face.. I was pumped I finished my second 70.3 on a beautiful day.. And hey, basically on about 6 weeks of training so I was pumped. :)

Hmm, training more might help.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with kerry who had an equally LONG day just hanging around.. but it was nice to know she was there during the race. We were running short on time to get back to that hotel to shower and get right on the road for 7hr return trip.. So we checked out the food line, and it wrapped ALL the way around transition! It looked really good, but unfortunately had to head back.. so gatorade and mcdonalds it was. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

6 weeks of training

Event comments:

Awesome race site, great views, people were awesome. Super organized from the chutes and transition, to the packet pickup 'Timberfest' on Sat. Would recommend this race weekend to anyone. We'll be going back.. but maybe for the sprint.. and watch the pros on Sunday. Make sure you train for long hill climbs on the bike!

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:35 | 1931 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/162
Overall: 1197/1506
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca sleeveless TNT
Course: clockwise rectangle in fresh water lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:58:29 | 56 miles | 14.09 mile/hr
Overall: 0/1506
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Nice out and back, although way more hills than I'm used to. NOT a good course for my lack of training on the bike and it showed!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:24:12 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 1146/1506
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop out and back - some hills. In comparison to the bike course, I thought it was as flat as a pancake!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-21 3:14 PM

User image

Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2008-08-21 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1619626

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Nice job. Thats a heck of a tough course to tackle on 6 weeks of training. Very impressive. I don't think I enjoyed myself as much as you did (my legs weren't very happy with me) but it was a very cool race and a nice day.
2008-09-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1619626

User image

Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron

Hey, you knew going in you were under-trained, yet you had reasonable expectations, a good attititude, took in the sights, no flats or crashes!, so I would say this was a great race too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed