United States
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 40m 28s
Overall Rank = 208/305
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/26
Pre-race routine:

We stayed right at the swim start (at Dawn Ranch Lodge, the only athletes among attendees at the Lazy Bear Weekend--google it).

Coped with the desperate shortage of portable facilities; just made it in and out in time to put on the wetsuit and sprint to the shore. But I was fully ready when they called my wave.
Event warmup:

See above.
Swim
  • 1h 07m 49s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with this. Easily my best swim in a long-distance race. This felt easy and relaxed. Great scenery along the way, with gigantic trees and some cool bridges to swim under. Lots of people sitting and standing on their docks to watch the Vineman crazies swim. One guy was chain smoking--first time I've ever smelled cigarette smoke in a tri swim.

Easy to swim straight, though this was a complete puzzle to me: The line of buoys was curved along the whole middle of the course. I swam the straight line (which was within the legal course) but lots of people dutifully followed the line. Why?
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing.
Transition 1
  • 06m 35s
Comments:

Longer than I wanted but OK. HR 137
Bike
  • 7h 35m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this was going to be slow and it was. Temperature began to rise and by the middle of the 2nd loop it was in the upper 90s, which I found really draining. I lost concentration by the end. Chalk Hill was not hard compared to riding at home; my weakness (besides being generally slow) is still handling: descents, corners, rough roads.

Only good feature is that overhead time for pit stops, special needs, water refills (except where they ran out!) was only 6 minutes.

I was very glad to get off the bike but back, neck and shoulders felt fine--I was drained from the heat and my butt was sore but legs felt OK.

Transition 2
  • 07m 59s
Comments:

Slow, but I desperately needed sunscreen--good thing I took the time.
Run
  • 5h 43m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a crazy parody of an iron-distance run. Started out OK (slow but steady IM run pace) trying to keep HR down. But in the 96-degree heat I guess my gut shut down after a mile or two--terrible cramping pain. So I would run as far as I could then walk until it passed. Did this stupid run walk at 12-15min pace for the first two of the three loops. Tried eating more, eating less, drinking more, drinking less, using the facilities. No luck.

But by the third loop the pain finally went away, probably because the temperature sank as the sun went down. I was then able to run the last loop and felt as though I was flying for the last 9 miles or so. Very surreal to run in the dark and quiet, watching the glow sticks of others in the distance.

Finished feeling fast and strong (this is relative, of course) and very frustrated about the first part of the run. I had the fitness and enough in my legs (who wouldn't after such a slow ride) but my GI system just wouldn't respond. A real lesson in not quitting even though I fell short of my time goal.

BUT . . . 30% of my age group did not finish at all in the heat.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, heat and heat.

Event comments:

A beautiful course; the race organizers must have been as surprised by the heat as we were (forecast was for low 80s, not high 90s) and ran out of water and ice at the back of the pack.

Definitely a race worth doing; logistics of 2 transition areas made for some complications but it works. Nice to be free of the M-dot hype.

These are challenging bike and run courses in any conditions. My two iron distance races have now been in the low 50s with rain and upper 90s. I wonder what it's like in between?

Last updated: 2007-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:49 | 4224 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/26
Overall: 127/305
Performance:
HR 142
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back on the Russian River, two loops.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:35:27 | 112 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/26
Overall: 285/305
Performance:
3.37.36 HR 141 3.57.51 HR 143
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:43:00 | 26.2 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/26
Overall: 181/305
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-21 6:53 PM

User image

Bloomington, IN
Subject: Vineman

2008-08-21 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1620002

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: RE: Vineman
Congratulations on your finish.  It was a tough (hot) day out there.
2008-08-22 2:11 AM
in reply to: #1620002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Vineman

congratulations!  Nice race..

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Rss Feed