General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Advice on Cycling Up Hills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-09 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Need Advice on Cycling Up Hills

I'm also new to Tri-ing and I've found it to be both a difficult yet rewarding experience in terms of training program. One area I know i have to work on right now is my cycling. I spent most of my winter working on getting my cadence to the 90-100 RPM range on my indoor trainer (winter weather). Now that i've gone outside, I find that I'm still significantly slower than my counterparts when it comes to riding outdoors. This is especially the case when i'm going up hills and I find my cadence drops badly to around 55-70 rpm and speed dips to about 8-10 miles/hr. The worst part is I'm just DOG TIRED after going up a hill (not a very long hill, probably about 30-60 secs to get over it). My question has to deal with what are the best gearsa do you all use for flat riding and hill riding? I have 3 gears and 8 shift cassete for 24-total speeds. Right now i'm in my 2nd gear and maybe the 2nd/3rd shift. Am i even using the right terminology? Feel free to correct me if I'm not... But in a way, the hills do remind me of when I first started running. I dreaded the hills but practiced it to a point where running hills are actually my biggest strength. Does it work the same way with cycling?

2005-02-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: #114945

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Need Advice on Cycling Up Hills

While this may not help with your gearing questions, it does provide some good advice about group rides:

How to Hold Your Own on Fast Club Rides

By Fred Matheny of www.RoadBikeRider.com

The major activity of any cycling club, racing or touring, is the group ride. As a result, it’s important to know how to hang tough on a given ride and make yourself welcome on the next one. Success is often due to more than fitness.

Here’s a club cycling primer!

• Know the group's traditions.

Some clubs like to start all rides, no matter how fast they’ll eventually become, with 20 or 30 minutes of easy warm-up. If you’re impatient early, you can cause hard feelings by chafing at the bit to go faster. When you know the pattern, it’s easier to be patient.

• Know what kind of ride is planned.

Will it be a fast training ride? A leisurely spin? Paceline practice? It’s disruptive when most of the group is thinking one thing while one or two cyclists are on a different agenda. If an easy recovery ride is scheduled, but you're out for hard training, people are going to get angry. Be certain of the ride’s goal before the start.

• Don’t be a loco locomotive.

If you're having trouble taking your pulls at the front, get off quickly and slide back to get maximum draft in the paceline. It's far better to sit on the back and let others do the work than to slow everyone with valiant but sluggish turns at the front.

• Use a racing trick if you often get dropped on climbs.

As a climb begins, be nestled in the front third of the bunch. Get as much draft as possible. If you can’t hold the pace, don’t blow up trying. Let yourself slide back through the group but still be in contact at the top.

• Accept help on hills.

Stronger cyclists may give you a helpful push as they ride by. Don’t be embarrassed by their help. They probably got towed up climbs when they were starting, too. A short push often allows you to regain your breathing and climbing rhythm so you can continue on your own.

• Pick a strong rider to follow.

If you're really having difficulty keeping the pace, get on the wheel of a good rider and mirror his (or her) technique. Use the same gear, stand when he does, take a drink as soon as he reaches for his bottle, and so on. This teaches you good cycling habits. Plus, emulating his movements takes your mind off your own effort and helps you past the hard spots.

• Don’t be afraid to say the pace is too hard.

It’s a good bet that other cyclists feel the same way but are reticent to speak up—or can’t, because they’re breathing too hard to talk! Perhaps even the riders who are setting the pace are having difficulty, but they continue to go hard out of vanity or because they think everyone else expects them to. A little communication goes a long way in making a group ride a more pleasant and productive experience.

• If you always have trouble holding the pace, look for different group.

Find one closer to your ability level. There’s no shame in rationally assessing your strength and choosing cyclists who share it. You’ll actually improve faster if you ride with a group that you are on equal terms with. You’ll be able to practice paceline cycling, following a wheel, riding in close quarters, cornering in a group, and other important skills. 

• Don’t let group cycling hurt your progress.

Frequently riding with a too-fast group will make you tired. You won’t improve as rapidly as you might with more rest. A pace that’s too fast will hurt you mentally, too. You’ll begin to associate cycling with pain, misery and disappointment. Don’t let your ego overpower your better judgment. An appropriate dose of humility now will pay dividends later.

Receive a FREE copy of the eBook “29 Pro Cycling Secrets for Roadies” by subscribing to the RoadBikeRider Newsletter at www.RoadBikeRider.com. No cost or obligation!

2005-02-09 1:32 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
The two things you can do are weight training to strengthen those legs and hill repeats on the bike(just as you would in running).
I can't speak to the weight training option as I don't currently do any weight training, but in the Triathlete's Training Bible, Friel goes over it pretty well.

I do hill specific training in three of my four rides. The important things to remember are to stay seated, if that means dropping it down to granny gear, then do that, but stay seated. Higher cadence is better than mashing away. If you want to stand up, stand up going into the hill to build up some speed before heading up the hill. Blowing out the quads suck and mashing and standing up will only blow them out faster. This advice is not for rolling hills, rolling are a different matter altogether. Because this is a one minute hill, it doesn't sound like it classifies as a roller.

The trainer is great for developing form and cadence, but I haven't been able to build up hill specific strength with it. The other thing to remember is that hills are hard. You should be tired, but you'll get better at it.

good luck
2005-02-09 1:54 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
There is no deep dark secret to successfully negotiating hills.  You need to build up your strength and your stamina and the only way to do that is race up lots of hills.  Strength training at the gym will help but still you have to develop that sense of racing, not just dragging yourself, up that hill.  As you approach a hill, increase your cadence and drop down to a gear (combination of your front chain ring and rear cog) that is commensurate with the steepness of the hill and your ability to climb.  There is no "best gear" to climb a hill with; it's different for each cyclist.  I am sure that I, nor anyone else on this forum, am not up to using the same gear for climbing that Lance Armstrong does on any given mountain.   One thing I like to do when I am about 100 meters from the summit is to swith two gears, stand and sprint the rest of the way.
2005-02-09 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Hi Jerry -

Since you are in NYC, I'm assuming you are tackling the hills in Central Park. My suggestion to you (thanks to the TNT coaches) is to do loops of the Northern/Harlem Hills in the park. Ride up the east side, go up and around the big hill, and turn at the 103 St transverse - it is not marked, but you'll notice what looks like a road on your left - it's about 1/4 mile across to the east side. Just keep doing loops of these hills and you'll see a big improvement. Don't go all out right away, but if you are doing some loops of the park, add in one hill repeat and as you get stronger, add more.

Of course your cadence and speed are going to drop quite a bit, especially at the beginning - don't be discouraged. A few weeks ago, I was on level 6 on the Lifecycle at the gym, and now I am on 9 and 10 - so it will just take time to build up the strength and endurance. You'll get there.

2005-02-09 2:43 PM
in reply to: #114998

User image

Veteran
Hi Sharno

Yeah, I am predominantly talking about Central Park. I've done the 5-mile loop at this moment in time. It was funny that you mentioned Harlem Hills because I was going to tack that on probably next week when I get more used to riding my bike. Yeah, it was hilarious that i fell on my butt this morning again. But i'm getting a lot more comfortable with my bike.

thanks for all the advice. I think training is going to be the same, in order to get better at something, you need to constantly challenge it. I'll probably do harlem hills this weekend, hopefully i'll have enough power to make it up that hill b/c i think Cat Hill is already bad enough!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Advice on Cycling Up Hills Rss Feed