United States
EndorFun
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 09m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3 am. I ate my standard bowl of oatmeal and banana with coffee and off we went by 3:45.
Event warmup:

I swam very little before the race. I did just enough to get wet and warm up a tiny bit.
Swim
  • 44m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was a little tough for me but I did well considering. Waters were rough, I thought, and my wave was pretty crowded up until about 1000 yards into it. Someone actually grabbed my ankle and pulled it. I'm not sure why she did that, but I hadn't had that happen to me and was unsure what to do, so I just kicked my legs a little. It was hard to sight heading directly into the sun and I kept getting a little off track. I got back on fairly quickly, though. Too much sighting needed for me.
What would you do differently?:

I would have sighted less and been more aggressive but since this was my first half IM I wanted to really be conservative. That's the wrong approach, I think. ;-)
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Transition went well. No problems here. I'm usually pretty tired when I get out of the water but I wasn't this time and was able to hustle through transition.

Nothing much. Perhaps hustle even more since my times aren't evidence of my hustling.
Bike
  • 3h 36m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm not sure what happened here. I felt good coming out of the water but I didn't feel as good on the bike. I did get moving at a good pace but about 40 minutes into it I had to pull over and throw up. I had to do this again in another 30 minutes or so. I'm assuming it had something to do with the swim. I didn't push too hard on the bike either. I was being too conservative, I think.

I also managed to get gel on the back of my knee that caused my legs to stick together every time I pedaled, which was for 3 and a half hours. I tried to clean it off with water throughout the race but it didn't work. Eventually it started to really hurt. I saw later that I had sores back there from it pulling my skin. I'll have to try and avoid that next time.

Overall my heart rate was very low throughout the entire bike, which is perhaps a sign that I went too easy.

Ride harder. I was strong at the end up those last bits of hills in the last 12 miles when others were dying but I should have pushed throughout the entire bike course. Again, I was being way too conservative. I was nervous about running 13 miles on a bum leg.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Again, an ok transition.

Run faster perhaps.
Run
  • 2h 42m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where it all fell apart. I actually felt good overall except my hamstring the first few miles. Then I realized I didn't bring any gels, so I tried one from the course, which was different than what I use and it was so warm. I immediately threw it away and threw up about 20 minutes later. I sipped gatorade and water the rest of the death march. So I was running a decent pace for about 4-5 miles then my hamstring just hurt so badly that I had to walk. I walked/ran for about 3 miles and then started to feel like my muscles in my legs had nothing left in them. This could be because I stopped running for a few weeks because I was trying to rest it and also perhaps because I didn't have any real nutrition. Live and learn.

A better hamstring :-) Overall I think I went into this race trained pretty well. My body felt good almost the entire way and like I said I think the only reason my running legs died on me was because I wasn't running the past few weeks and the gel problem (maybe). I couldn't have asked for a better day with a bum hamstring for my first half IM.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and met Bob and the rest of the gang participating. Went home and relaxed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hurt hammy :-(

Event comments:

This race was a blast. It wasn't a great day for me but I had a ton of fun. I would definitely do it again.

Last updated: 2008-02-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:13 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: wet suit
Course: The course went out made a right heading directly into the sun then a right turn in.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:36:49 | 56 miles | 15.50 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back. First and last 12 miles are hilly.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:42:04 | 13.1 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back twice. A little hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 5:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2008-08-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1623751

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Congratulations on your first HIM! You did great and you handled your physical problems very well. Well done!
2008-08-30 10:43 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-30 1:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Congrats on your first HIM and thanks for sharing. I have mine in a month and reading yours really gave me some things to think about. You got through a tough day and finished-you should be very proud!
2008-08-30 1:04 PM

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Congrats on your first HIM and thanks for sharing. I have mine in a month and reading yours really gave me some things to think about. You got through a tough day and finished-you should be very proud!
2008-08-30 1:09 PM

Master
NJ
Great job! How'd you get gel on the back of your leg?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed