United States
Flying Saucer and Strictly Running
76F / 24C
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 1/110
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Throw up twice. Grab a bagel and a cup of coffee, say a little prayer that it stays down.
Event warmup:

1.2 Miles of nice easy running. Start to fret over the garmin being all crazy.
Run
  • 18m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m  min/mile
Comments:

There was a decent crowd (100+) but it looked like most were flying saucer patron's there for the free beer (that I didn't know about) and not to actually race.

Lined up at the very front on the side and figured I'd go out by latching onto the first group if I thought I could hang with them. Turns out there was only one other guy who felt like going out fast at all. Since I didn't have the garmin nor anything else, I just stayed with him and felt groove. The hills where rolling and I'd in general completely drop him going up and then slow down to let him back on the downhills.

I was in a very good spot and had no clue what my time was but the thought of being 1st was more of what I was holding on to. About halfway through, I dropped him by staying at the same level of exertion and his footsteps went away. Had no clue the distance between me and 2nd after that, just focused on staying in a relative level of comfort but keeping the gas pedal down.

Finished on a long up hill which was where the legs began to feel like they were going from a good tempo run into race mode, turned around the corner to the finish line and saw my time. The group directing made a comment about how they couldn't see second so I eased up for the last bit. Wasn't too focused on pushing the time lower as first was secure there's a 15k next weekend and a 5k following that.

Needless to say, all the rehab and proper training is paying off. I'm not nearly as up there with milage but the cross training and refusing to do anything stupid has made me come back THAT much stronger.

Going to shoot for BQ at Myrtle Beach.
What would you do differently?:

Not throw up the night before 2x or the morning off. Damn kids and the germs they bring during the first week of schoo.
Post race
Warm down:

About a mile with the brother and another runner. Loosened up/ stretched and had some beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick, staying up way too late the night before

Event comments:

Good race, I'll do it again.

Anytime I can get a a 100+ dollar of beer as a trophy, I'll take it.

Last updated: 2008-08-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:39 | 03.11 miles | 05m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1/110
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills, nothing major for what I've been running other than finishing coming up Gervais was a bit a of a pin.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes