General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need at Tri bike, but are 2009 prices really going up 20% Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-24 9:17 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Need at Tri bike, but are 2009 prices really going up 20%

Let me start by saying this is my first post, but I have been lurking for a few months :-)

This weekend I went to a local Tri specialty shop and wanted to see if I could effectively add a set of clip on aero bars to my aging road bike. Due to my stem, handlebar neck and overall frame stretch it wasn't a good I idea. The were happy however to point out that the Cervelos were 10% off, and were expected to go up by 20% for a new paint job and higher production/shipping costs for 09.  Having had no intentions of buying a full out tri bike 40 minutes later I find myself getting fitted on a T3. The P2 wasn't my size, so for a "feel" ride they fitted me on a T3, and let me take it for a spin. - Okay so never having used aerobars or been on a tri bike I find myself taking my drivers test in a Ferrari.

The bike I was looking at was the P2 with the ultegra build kit.

The next day I stopped at another high end road shop to see what the deal was w/ 09 pricing and explore other options. they commented that a slight increase was expected for 09 but they hadn't seen 20% but it could be manufacture specific.  While I was there I was checking out the Argon 18 w/ the carbon/AL frameset -mercury?- and a full Ultegra build tri bars and novation wheels. this build was about $250 more than the cervelo.

Not expecting to even be thinking about this expense right now I find myself wondering, is the 20% increase for real? If so thats a $750 swing in 5 months.

Most importantly of all, chicken or the egg? I have been wanting to get into multisport events for several years, i was going to use this winter as a training period to be rewarded w/ a new bike come spring but w/ a $750 swing my decision may be forced sooner. Am I nuts to buy a tri bike and use it as my primary and mothball my 10 year old fondriest? - I am pretty much sold on the tri vs road geometry in favor of the tri, but what about cervelo's flip flop seat post? can a tri bike be ridden all the time?  I think I created more questions for myself than I answered. 

BTW- I competed in my first DU 3 weeks ago- 3rd in M24-29 3rd Clyd. on very little training. I signed up at a friends request 4 days before the race.  Needless to say I'm hooked and want to compete in 2-3 more before it gets too cold.  

2008-08-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1624704

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Need at Tri bike, but are 2009 prices really going up 20%

The Cervelo shop I talked to said that the P2C was going up $200 for '09 and that the P3 wasn't changing at all. But I can't verify the truth behind that.

I'd guess that you won't be disappointed switching from a 10yr old bike to new tri bike, but I'm also not writing the check.  In some ways I wish I'd bought a tri bike instead of the good road bike I've got, but it is what it is, and I'm going to ride what I've got for a while. 

Edited by Sprint_DA 2008-08-24 9:23 PM
2008-08-24 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
I recently wrote about this topic. You may find it interesting. It's here:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000127.shtml
2008-08-24 10:11 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
bm1981 - 2008-08-24 10:17 PM

This weekend I went to a local Tri specialty shop and wanted to see if I could effectively add a set of clip on aero bars to my aging road bike. Due to my stem, handlebar neck and overall frame stretch it wasn't a good I idea. The were happy however to point out that the Cervelos were 10% off, and were expected to go up by 20% for a new paint job and higher production/shipping costs for 09.     

Not to dissuade you from getting new gear, but I find it hard to believe that a bike that fit you could not be fitted with clip on aero bars.  My old bike (a '91 Bianchi) used clip ons.  Back in the day, before tri bikes were common (or frankly even existed), triathletes came up with and used all sorts of clip on configurations. I actually owned 2 or 3 different versions over the years. And when I bought my new bike this year, I got a roadie (Madone) that I outfitted with some clip ons.

It sort of sounds to me like the bike shop was more interested in selling you a new bike for a couple (or three) grand, rather than clip ons for under $100. I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade, but I might start to look at another LBS that doesn't try to convince people coming in to get a relatively inexpensive component to get on a new bike with the statement "You know, you should buy it now, because the price is going up 20% in a few months". To stick with your Ferrari example, that would be like going to the local car dealer to get new floor mats, and being given a test ride in a high end sports car, with a high pressure sales pitch to boot.

There may be good reasons to get a tri bike, or even to just upgrade the road bike (like getting more gearing, better components, or in my case, both of these plus moving from downtube to integrated shifters. But not being able to retrofit aerobars? Weak.

Edited by gearboy 2008-08-24 10:16 PM
2008-08-24 10:37 PM

User image

New user

Well I have asked about going w/ aerobars on my bike a while back and the concern is that I would be to stretched out which would make me wobbly.

I guess the question I need to answer for myself is, how much of a difference does Tri geometry make? How much of an improvement will I see in power / performance moving from a steel frame to aero carbon? How much will a properly fitted bike contribute?  

2008-08-24 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1624903

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

"the concern is that I would be to stretched out which would make me wobbly"

Only if you (a) pick the wrong clip-ons, and/or (b) your LBS is completely incompetent in doing a fit.

"how much of a difference does Tri geometry make?"

To borrow from Tom -- HUGE. BUT... It depends on the fit. An ill-fitting tri bike can be worse than a road bike without clip-ons.

"How much of an improvement will I see in power / performance moving from a steel frame to aero carbon?"

Exactly zero. It's not the material, it's the frame design and how it interacts with YOU.

"How much will a properly fitted bike contribute?"

To quote the good doctor from the movie "I, Robot" -- That is the right question. And fit is everything. Hopefully your fitters will know what they're doing and you'll avoid the 20 year process that I went through. But the first thing to find is the effective seat tube angle that corresponds with your max power output. That will determine everything else.

2008-08-25 6:10 AM
in reply to: #1624903

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Fit is king.  You might see more efficiency with a carbon frame, due mostly to weight differences.  I dropped 10 pounds in a day, going from my steel bike to my carbon one.  But my first ride I didn't dial the fit in, and actually went slower than usual on my normal riding loop.  Then I adjusted the fit and picked up a little more speed than I had from the older bike. 

Also, as I noted above, if you are using down tube shifters, you can shift more efficiently with integrated shifters, which adds a little more speed as well.  As for being too stretched out with clip ons, however, as long as your current bike fits, that should not be an issue.

2008-08-28 5:46 PM

New user
I was wondering the same thing about the aero bars,verse tribike .will it make my bike different ?i have a speacalized alez good used bike for 400.00 and some areo bars70 to 100. might be alright until i rode a trek eqanox 5 2007 on sale for 1100.00.is that a good deal ?took a test drive and what sweet bike ,but the only thing is its a 58 and my bike is 54 but it seemed ok .i'm learning alot about bikes .it may be a early christmas pres
2008-08-28 6:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dearborn, Michigan, USA.
I was thinking of your post when we were uploading this article to our website today and thought you may find it of interest. It is long, but it answers many of the questions you posed:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/store/howmuch.shtml
2008-08-28 6:29 PM

New user
thanks Tom ,good read!
2008-08-29 12:35 PM

User image

I just bought a new bike (arrived on Wed.) , and was pretty much in the same boat, with similar questions.

I wanted to buy a bike, but more towards the end of the year, early springs, needless to say I decided to "look" what they had out there, and after talking to different shops and tri "friends" everyone has said that the prices were gonna go up next year and no one expected huge "end of the season" sales.  In fact most "friends" said that they would grab a bike asap (if it fits you, your budget, and if the opportunity is right).

The new bike does feel different.  My previous bike (roadie) was too big, result of me not getting a fit and listening to an incompetent salesman, I did everything I could to "make" it fit, and it turned out ok.  After my first Tri, I put some clip on aero bars, and they turned out to be useless, I felt way to stretched out, unconfortable, and yes, wobbly.  But again the bike was already big to start with.  With the new bike, I knew I wanted a tri bike that fitted me. So I got a fit and tried a bunch of bikes, narrowed it down and get the one !!!

Although I may be partial and have no specific back up; from what I know, I believe that prices will be going up for the '09 models and I would not expect any end of the season "sales". My .02 is if the bike fits you (and please make sure it does), and you have the $$$, and you know you are going to be racing, then get the bike!!!

2008-08-31 9:40 PM

User image

New user

I figured that I would update this post with my decision,

I got the P2, and had the bike fit for me at the shop. So far I have 4 miles on the bike from the test ride. Tomorrow I'm going out for my first real ride.

Now I need to do some homework on new shoes, pedals, hydration, cyclometer.  

2008-09-15 2:02 AM

Tom, thanks for the articles you linked in this thread.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need at Tri bike, but are 2009 prices really going up 20% Rss Feed