General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 9s
Overall Rank = 196/1632
Age Group = f 40-44
Age Group Rank = 54/340
Pre-race routine:

For once, I slept until the alarm went off! I was so surprised when I actually woke up to the alarm instead of lying there staring at the ceiling for hours! Had some peanut butter toast, checked e-mail, and drove up to meet my three friends who travelled in with me. My bag was all packed the night before and bike already racked so race day morning was easy.
Event warmup:

None really ... got body marked, waited in line a few times for the port-a-pot, talked to people I knew ...
Swim
  • 25m 44s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! I hate the swim. Even if I am "only" in the water 25 minutes ... it is still the longest 25 minutes of my life. This swim was especially disappointing because I had been training so hard all summer for the swim ... swimming an average of 5 to 6 miles a week and really working on drills, speed, intervals, you name it. I was sure I would beat my previous IG best of 24 minutes and change, and hopeful for 22, but that all went out the window when I got kicked in the face early on and my goggles started taking on water. Flashback to Columbia in May, when I got a corneal abrasion (my race report which I will fill out later - never got to it for some reason - has more details) ... I did not want to repeat that experience so I stopped about ten times and tried to clear my goggles, and stop them from leaking. I never succeeded and finally gave up and started just swimming. I lost a lot of time there but not sure how much. About halfway through the swim I realized my neck was hurting and that I was trying to hold my head up and not keep it down in the water - again, I think because of the leaky goggles (and that lake water stings!! my eye is still oozing almost 24 hours later). So I forced myself to put my head down and then I got a better rhythm and breathed easier. Unfortunately, it was too late to save the swim and I was really disappointed with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start near the back and just not worry about time lost. Not sure. Definitely need better goggles. Like some that can be affixed with super glue.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

85/340 in my AG for transition. Average, could be better. Spent a lot of time worrying about my stinging eye and thinking about getting a new contact lens, but then just went for it. Gear was well organized, but I tossed my cap and goggles somewhere and didn't realize til later I lost them! Good riddance to the damn goggles.
Bike
  • 58m 32s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 17.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I kicked a@@ on the bike this year! I got pretty close to being in the top 100 overall (and long story, but #1 and #2 I think cut the course accidentally from looking at the rest of their times) so I may have been 101. I knnow this course very, very well and it paid off. I was happy and confident and felt great!

Slash the tires of the SUV that stopped to make a left turn, on the far right side of the road, leaving some of us with no choice but to tiptoe our bikes around him on gravel and broken asphalt because there was no room on the road to ride by him ... grrrr.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Great!! I don't even know if I could improve on this. I am so happy with this transition time. And I felt like it went well and I was thoughtful about it ... bike shoes off, running shoes on, bike gloves off, race number on, hat, sunglasses, gu, take a drink ... didn't forget a thing and it was so smooth. =) 32/340 in my AG for T2.
Run
  • 29m 23s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was 7:00. Yes, 7:00! I don't think I have ever done that ... ever! I felt fantaastic. Unfortunately, then the hills started and I cramped up pretty badly around my diaphragm, probably not drinking enough + running too fast to start, so I slowed down a lot, second mile 8:58 or so and the final 1.4 miles only slightly faster than that. Still, only two women passed me during the entire run!

Not start out quite so fast, but speed up more near the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and talked, got pictures taken with my friends, and then headed back to pack up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how to swim, apparently.

Event comments:

I love this race and hope to do it *every* year as long as I am able! My time from last year was a huge improvement. Last year I was 2:04:50 so 6 minutes and change taken off ... a better swim (though still not as good as the first year) ... a minute or so off the bike, two minutes off the run and good transitions. I need to get better in T1 but part of that is constantly having eye issues. So, for next year the swim is my focus yet again. I'm really getting tired off focusing on the swim!!

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:44 | 1094 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 85/340
Overall: 995/1632
Performance: Bad
Suit: Running top & tri shorts
Course: Horseshoe from start to the finish at the bike transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:32 | 17.5 miles | 17.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/340
Overall: 103/1632
Wind: None
Course: Hilly! I love it though and I am used to it. There are three significant climbs - one long, two shorter - and a long slow mild uphill to the turnaround point, then it is super fast and slight downhill on the way back, which I love.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:23 | 03.4 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/340
Overall: 204/1632
Course: Hilly but with a pretty flat, fast finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 6:06 AM

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2008-08-25 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1625043

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Great race.
2008-08-25 7:31 AM

Ellicott City, MD
Great race report. I was riding out when that car was trying to make the left and you guys had no room, what a mess!
2008-08-25 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Wow, you SMOKED that bike course!  Congrats!
2008-08-25 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
What a great race!!! Sounds like you had fun too!!

Have you tried using a swim mask like an Aqua Sphere Seal XP?? They seal better and can stand being hit in open water.
2008-08-25 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Fantastic race!!  

Congrats on your bike split!! You rocked that course

2008-08-25 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1625108

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
heatherzg - 2008-08-25 8:31 AM

Great race report. I was riding out when that car was trying to make the left and you guys had no room, what a mess!

Yeah, I hope he didn't have kids in his car cause I kinda accidentally said "mother f__er" and then realized his window was open ... LOL.

Well, seriously though. What an idiot!!

Thanks girl - hope you had an awesome race. I haven't gotten through all the reports yet ... but it looks like a heck of a lot of BT-ers were out!
2008-08-25 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1625141

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
MelissaE - 2008-08-25 8:53 AM

Wow, you SMOKED that bike course!  Congrats!

Thanks, Melissa ... I rode that course a minimum of 3x/week this summer ... incorporated it into all my long rides ... and knowing it really paid off.

And ... I never ONCE used my granny gear!!

Congrats to you too on a great race!! I love Irongirl. =)
2008-08-25 8:46 PM
in reply to: #1625372

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
tikicult - 2008-08-25 10:35 AM

What a great race!!! Sounds like you had fun too!!

Have you tried using a swim mask like an Aqua Sphere Seal XP?? They seal better and can stand being hit in open water.

Hey Tiki,
Thanks - my training paid off (finally!!) except for the swim.

I actually have an Aqua Sphere in my swim bag! But I can't get comfortable in it. Now that my stupid damn leaky goggles are missing anyhow, though (not that I dont' have another 6 pairs, all of which leak) maybe I will have to try it again.

I really don't think the leaking would bother me at all if it weren't for the filthy lake water. My eye is STILL oozing junk tonight!
2008-08-25 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1625458

User image

Regular
Woodbine, MD
vball03umd - 2008-08-25 11:03 AM

Fantastic race!!  

Congrats on your bike split!! You rocked that course

Thanks Traci -

Wish I could have your SWIM and your RUN though! DAMN! Great race, girl. Congrats!
gina
2008-08-28 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great race, Gina!  Sub-2:00 on this race is smokin' fast. 

Sorry to hear about the kick in the face, and that it's not the first time it's happened - wow!  Not sure how I would handle that.  I am claustrophobic and can't do the washing machine start.  I stay far to the right and outside (halfway between the first two buoys and the shore).  Otherwise, I freak out!

Laurie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed