General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 51s
Overall Rank = 1529/1632
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 319/340
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and had oatmeal for breakfast. Stacie picked me up later and we were at the park a little before 6:00. Set up transition quickly since we rack our bikes the day before and there is no wetsuit to deal with. Headed over to the Mid Maryland Tri Club tent to soak up the good vibes and was interviewed by the local NBC affiliate (WBAL TV) as a follow-up to last week's story about me in the Baltimore Sun. This actually helped distract me from becoming too nervous. I've trained for the race and I was ready, so standing around just thinking about it wasn't going to help me at that point.
Event warmup:

Nothing except for treading water a few minutes before the swim. Had a gel about 25 minutes before the swim start.
Swim
  • 30m 44s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite the slow time compared to other swimmers, I am really happy with this swim. I met 2 of my goals (almost): I swam freestyle the whole time and almost came in under 30 minutes. The swim start was better than it's been before, but I still don't like having so many bodies around me. Not sure there's anything I can do about it, though. Could not see the first couple buoys at all, so just followed the purple caps and, voila, there was the first turn buoy. I took the inside line to the 2nd turn buoy and traffic thinned out a little bit, then took an inside line again after the turn buoy. Then the next wave started passing me, but I didn't really come into any contact with anyone. Used my strategy again from the practice swim of coming up next to a breastroker and heading in her direction for a few strokes instead of sighting (since they're looking where they're going, right?). Other than the fact that I could not find any feet whatsoever to draft off of, I'm really happy with this swim. It went perfectly for me.
What would you do differently?:

1. Find some feet to draft off of. 2. Pick it up a bit on the back stretch once traffic has thinned out. Use the wave behind me as motivation to go a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

I know why this is so slow. I walked most of the way to get my bike and then to the bike exit. Plus, I sat down on my cooler while I put my socks on (gasp!), and actually slid right off it the first time, so had to get up and sit down again. I could do this faster (and have before many times), but just wasn't in any hurry.

Just be quicker and not putz around so long.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 50s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 12.38 mile/hr
Comments:

This was slower than I was expecting, but other than just picking up my pace overall, can't think of anywhere specific I could have improved. Mt. Albert hill seemed to go by faster than usual, which was nice, but the hill up to the middle school actually seemed longer than before. The bike is where I began to feel not so great digestively. I only drank one of my bottles of G2, which wasn't good. I felt like I had to pee the whole time, which was really uncomfortable, plus my tri shorts I now absolutely cannot stand. They are so uncomfortable.

Get tri shorts with a little more padding. Do a better job of "taking care of business" before racing. Drink both bottles of G2 (which I normally do in training, but I felt overhydrated, so stopped drinking). Not ride onto the lawn at the corner of Mt. Albert and Cantor Lane because I was distracted by the traffic cop. ;)
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I am extremely pleased with this time. Bike rack was crowded when I got back, so I just racked by the handlebars to save time, then made a decision to not switch my socks for the run.

Nothing. Very fast T2 for me.
Run
  • 56m 45s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 16m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm actually quite satisfied with this time. Since I discovered in April that I have a torn meniscus in my right knee again (first time in 2004), I stopped running. I've been walk/jogging Centennial a couple times a week for the past couple months to just get used to the course and find places I can shave a little time. This time was only a minute and a half slower than the fastest training time I've posted this year, so I was quite pleased with this.

Get new knees so I can run. Not stop to pee in the woods (I was still feeling GI distress and this helped a little) and not stop to get a kiss from Adam Driscoll, but in reality, I wouldn't trade that for the world.
Post race
Warm down:

I was really sore after the race (those damn tri shorts have to go!), so I didn't do any warm-down. Spent a lot of time at the club tent again. Tried to walk around to keep the blood flowing. Ate a little, but really wasn't feeling good. Felt like I wanted to puke so badly, but just couldn't.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad knees and too much weight. Did not manage my nutrition as I normally have.

Event comments:

This race is so well-run and well-organized, you just can't overstate it. Every athlete is treated like a superstar at this race. I mean, it's huge, so transition is crowded, but what are you going to do? The schwag we got from Aflac was cool: stuffed duck, small sports towel, Hawaiian leis, sponges, etc. They're a great race sponsor.

Last updated: 2007-11-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:44 | 1094 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 296/340
Overall: 1427/1632
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top & shorts
Course: Man-made fresh-water lake. Semi-rectangular course in Centennial Lake. First leg of the swim (about 300 yds?) is directly into the sun.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:50 | 17.5 miles | 12.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 302/340
Overall: 1427/1632
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Hilly course in western Howard County. 6 significant hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:45 | 03.4 miles | 16m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 330/340
Overall: 1587/1632
Performance: Average
Course: Very hill course around Centennial Park; includes a back "lollipop" up Gatorade Hill and around the ballfields and raquetball courts.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2008-08-25 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1625194

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon
Great job.  Loved you being distracted by the cop   I was also sore from the bike in places one should not be.  I think it might be the saddle more than the shorts.
2008-08-25 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Welcome back to the sport Melis!!!! Everyone who knows your story is so proud of you, and happy for you. Major kudos and hugs all around (and sorry I missed it).
2008-08-25 9:37 AM

User image

Elite
i'm so proud of you!!!!  I know what you mean about being in "distress".  Remember, I peed win my shorts while running at Columbia this year.   You should be happy, you hadn't done all three back to back to back, and that is a great time for you!
2008-08-25 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice job out there!!  Congrats on swimming the entire distance using freestyle.  I couldn't see any of the buoys on the first leg either.  It was tough swimming into the sun!

Thanks so much for setting up the BT dinner.  It was great to meet you and to see you out on the run course    

2008-08-25 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
great job on a tough course.  Thanks for setting up the dinner sat night.  Was really great to meet you. Sorry we didn't stop by the tent after the race but I was OVER being around so many people and I thought the post race food sucked this year.  I went and got real food.

2008-08-25 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Very cool about the interview, Melissa!  You're a great voice for the sport.

And you're not the only one who peed in the woods.  I saw a lady coming out of the woods too, but when nature calls... 

I second the post-race food sucking -- I just worked out for 2+ hours and you're going to give me health stuff?  I wanted Oreos not "natural" cookies, and sugar free peanut butter is just gross.  The food at the MMTC tent looked much better. 

It was so nice meeting you in person, Melissa.  Looking forward to seeing you again at another race! 

Laurie

2008-08-25 1:25 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Great job on getting through!!

Keep at it and before long those hills will be your b-tch and you will kick some serious butt!

2008-08-25 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Melissa Congratulations...come to FL and I will fix your knee   Look at Oomph shorts they have a thick pad
2008-08-25 11:15 PM

Ellicott City, MD
Great race report. Glad I hung out at the MMTC tent and didn't go find the race food reading the comments. Hopefully we can meet up sometime!
2008-08-26 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Good race!  Sounds like you were prepared and had a great time  

I know what you mean about the traffic cuties, er I mean patrol men

2008-08-27 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Great job!  Sounds like a lot of fun!
2008-08-31 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
A late congrats on your Iron Girl finish. You are awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed