General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 69/137
Age Group = 25-29M
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15am. Ate a my normal breakfast. Stretched. Got in the car to drive the race at 5:00am. Arrived just before 6:00am. Picked up my chip, got body marked, set up transition... tried to relax.

The race times were seriously delayed. Original start time was to be 8:15ish. Actual start time... just before 9:00am
Event warmup:

A little swimming to test out the goggles to make sure they sealed and to loosen up the arms
Swim
  • 44m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up left side, back of the pack because I didn't want to mess with the melee of the swim start.

Beginning of the first lap was just trying to get used to sighting again. I did not train as much as I should have nor did I do much OWS training. After the second left hand turn I started running into some of the slower Oly women, then slower Oly men. I was not able to find some good legs to hold on to during the swim. I started to find my stroke and just muddle my way through.

Second lap I was alone for most of the course. I tried to find legs when possible, but I would either get off course, or they would. On the last turn in to finish I found some legs and got to relax a little. Out of the water and up the beach I finally looked at my watch... 43 and change... not good for me at all.

The swim time also includes a tenth of a mile run up the levee from the beach to the parking lot.
What would you do differently?:

Train more regularly. I just did not get in the pool as much as I probably should have.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I am getting much more organized with my transitions. I just took a little more time to just double check that I had everything I needed for the ride

Not much... maybe move faster
Bike
  • 2h 58m 33s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.82 mile/hr
Comments:

I say the road surface was smooth... a majority was... but some was just horrible.

The first lap I felt pretty good. I kept the RPM up around the 90s. I drank my first bottle of GU20 by the time for the bottle hand off. I should have drank more. I just did not stay on top of my hydration during this loop and it came to bite me on the run. I felt okay at the end of the first loop (1:25:xx) and was on pace.

I started to feel it, it being dehyrdation, on the second loop, mostly on the hills leading up to the next aide station. I went easier but was out of water, and running very low on sports drink. At the aide station I picked up two fresh bottles but it didn't last me. I really started to fade. Avg speed started to drop, HR started to creep up... no cramping though... but I did start to get a head-ache. This loop I was basically by myself. I would see people on the turn around points, but we were all basically on the same pace and would have minutes inbetween us. For a couple of the hills I dropped it into my lowest/3rd front chain ring. My legs were just running out of juice and I needed to do as much as I could to conserve.

By the end of the second loop my average had dropped into the 18mph range from the 19+mph from the first loop. I was out of fluids and not feeling that good. The last temp I saw from my bike coming into transition was 96. The wind had picked up as well.

It was great seeing DavidTri's out there and giving each other support. It was an awesome motivator.

Bring more fluids. I grabbed as much as I could carry on the course... but it just was not enough.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I was beat... I knew that the run was going to suck. I was very deliberate again. Checking to make sure I had everything that I would need.

Nothing...
Run
  • 2h 27m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot. My wife looked happy to see me... I put on a happy face so she wouldn't know that I was hurting. Legs were okay... but I knew that I was dehydrated and needed fluids badly.

I hit the first aid station for 4 cups of water and stopped to pee. That was the only time for the entire race. I came out and then went off running. I could already tell that it was bad. My HR was sky high and no matter what it would not come down. Walking it was still too high. I knew the next aid station was about a mile away so I just kept at it. Next aid station was another 4 cups of water, cup of ice into my back pocket (My gels had been sitting in the sun all day and were hot. I knew it was not going to be pleasant to eat hot gel) and another cup of ice for the road. The ice really started to help, and so did the water. I just kept doing the same thing at each aid station. 3-4cups of water, ice in back pocket.

Ran into a guy in my age group. I could tell that he was hurting... asked if he wanted company for the run since we were in the same age group. He agreed. We spent the rest of the first out and back together... walking the aid stations. Keeping pace with one another, talking, trying to keep each other going. Thank you Jessie. At mile 5, my HR was coming back into normal range and I knew that I could finsh the last loop a little stronger.

Before the turn around at transition I stopped to clean out the rocks in my shoes and in my socks. My wife came over to me and I could tell she was worried. I did the first loop in 1:15/1:20, training runs would have put me at mile 8/9 not mile 6. I told her I was okay and not to worry and that I was going to finish the race on my pace and all time expectations were out the window. She seemed to brighten up immediately. Off I went for the next loop.

I left Jessie at about mile 8. I just wanted to finish this race on my terms. I kept with the hydrating plan and just kept going. I was avg'ing 8:50/9:00 miles. I was at my limit. I was pushing to just finish. I walked most of mile 11 because my legs did not want to cooperate with the uphills...Starting to run again for mile 12 took a lot of effort and digging deep.

Rounding the corner to come back into transition was a rush. My wife saw me and came running across to me. It was one of the most amazing moments of my short racing history. I gave her a high five. She said something to me but I don't know what she said.

All kinds of emotions came to me... All of her sacrifices to make time for me to train, all the hours training these last 7 months, all the support from family and people on this site. It culminated at the finish of this race... and the finish of my 2008 racing season. I crossed the line at 6:14:56 to the annoucer calling out my name. Amazming is the only way to explain it.

Hydrate properly on the bike. Keep up pace for the entire run. Not walk as much
Post race
Warm down:

Limp around... eat some... walk to the car... change... limp back to transition... eat somemore... pack up the car... Drive home...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dealing with the heat. I just could not deal with the high 90s and sun all afternoon.

Event comments:

HFP puts on a good race for the price. Things were delayed horribly. They had a lot of support on the run course.

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:45 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 62/137
Performance: Below average
Suit: LG Tri Suit (no wetsuit)
Course: Two loops of 0.6 mile rectangle (I think it was long)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:58:33 | 56 miles | 18.82 mile/hr
Overall: 80/137
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops full of rollers
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:27:11 | 13.1 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 67/137
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops out and back. Exposed, sunny and hot
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman

2008-08-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1626062

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman

Great Race Justin! The heat yesterday really sapped alot of us of energy. Way to finish the season strong. Congrats!

(can you imagine doing double those distances??)

David

2008-08-25 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

Good race Justin,

Way to stick it out. I knew it was a sufferfest after I read your blog/log. You showed such great fortitude and just kept plugging away. Good for you. Congrats !!

2008-08-25 1:33 PM

User image

New user

Congratulations.  I think that was a good first HIM.

2008-08-25 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Great job on the race and for sticking it out in tough conditions! You did awesome
2008-08-25 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Congrats on your first HIM.  Way to find what's deep inside you to get the finish on  your own terms.  Very inspiring performance!

2008-08-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1626674

User image

Extreme Veteran
Outstanding Job, Justin! Really inspiring and a great reminder to respect the impact heat and hydration can have. Great job doing your best and knowing how to read your body. I have no doubt that in your next HIM you'll hit that sub 6 you're shooting for!

--Chris
2008-08-26 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Really nice to see you tough it out Justin.  Disappointing for you that you that the day turned out like it did (heat, hydration, final time), but you learned a lot about that race and will do better next time.

Glad to see you feel good about the accomplishment.

2008-08-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1628672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Congratulations on a great HIM.... Way to hold it together at the end.... That was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!   I watched each of you come in and head out on the run and I marval at your strength and effort in that heat.  We all learned some serious lessons in hydration, salt intake, etc.

Again, great job on a very hot day... so, what is your next race???

2008-08-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: #1630041

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
etknowles - 2008-08-26 5:10 PM

Congratulations on a great HIM.... Way to hold it together at the end.... That was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!   I watched each of you come in and head out on the run and I marval at your strength and effort in that heat.  We all learned some serious lessons in hydration, salt intake, etc.

Again, great job on a very hot day... so, what is your next race???

I may do the Columbus Half-Mary in October... but triathlon wise I think I am done for the season.

ETA: Thanks to everyone for their comments. Your support is great and much appreciated!

Edited by JChristoff 2008-08-27 7:49 AM
2008-08-28 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
way to stick it out and finish! i hope i make it to that finish line someday too!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed