General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 37s
Overall Rank = 430/1622
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/47
Pre-race routine:

Slept very restlessly and hit the snooze at 4am too many times. Left the house at about 4:40am for the hour drive to Columbia with my daughter. Breakfast was blueberries & yogurt, coffee & silk.

Once I racked my bike and set up my transition area, I got changed into my race suit in the porta potty. Got my bike tires pumped up; Princeton Sports volunteers were great!

Walked to/from the swim/finish area from transition twice because I realized that my daughter had my water bottle for my bike in the cooler with her. Got another potty break in once the waves started going off. I was Wave 7 so I had about an hour to wait from the first wave.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Hung out with my daughter, although she was not in a great mood from waking up at 4:30am (sleep-deprived teenagers are not fun!). Saw MelissaE and irishgal (April) right before the race. It was great to know a few more faces from our pre-race BT dinner that MelissaE arranged.
Swim
  • 17h 37m
  • 1100 yards
  • 1h 36m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a great start. There must have been a lot of first timers in my semi-small wave because they all looked hesitant and no one got in front of me (for a change!). I took an outside line to the second buoy to stay out of the group and wound up right next to it even though I could barely sight because of the glare of the sun. It got crowded at the last buoy because I had caught up to two waves before me. Very good swim for me. Just slightly faster than last year.

2007 18:02 (1:38/100yds)
2008 17:37 (1:36/100yds)
What would you do differently?:

I really haven't swum much this summer because I've been concentrating on the running and biking. Since swimming is my natural strength, that was okay but I really should get more swimming in regardless.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

Did not run up the hill to my rack like I should have. Took waaaayyy too long getting the clipless pedals on (I had put my Road ID on the wrong way with the straps, so had to readjust). You also have to climb a steep hill to get to the bike start. I went slowly in my clipless pedals so I wouldn't slip on the wet grass and got up to the asphalt on the far right so I could mount and get going. What's weird is it's the exact same transition time as last year when I wore running shoes.

2007 - 4:31
2008 - 4:31

Practice putting on clipless pedals and all the other gear faster.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 10s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 15.87 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to do 1:03-1:10 (15.0-16.5mph), so I was very happy with this. I was much more confident than I had every been on the bike in a group before and didn't hesitate to pass like I normally do. It was very busy and a lot of hills were 3 riders deep in some places. I conquered the four hills that I had to walk up last year, and I was passing people while doing it! SHOCKER! What a difference a granny gear makes. LOVE my granny gear!

2007 - 1:20:36 (13.0mph)
2008 - 1:06:10 (15.9mph)

Drink more. Had a side stitch during the run and I'm sure it's because I didn't take in enough fluid during the ride. Only took two short sips of my water bottle because we were constantly descending or climbing or turning.

I still have room for improvement on this segment, but I am getting more confident with each ride. Clipless pedals the last two months have helped tremendously. More TITS!
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Last year, I was wearing tennis shoes to ride so I only had to rack my bike, take off my helmet & gloves, and put on my visor. I had to deal with changing shoes this year, but I wasn't too bad. I still can't see riding on top of shoes and jumping off a moving bike thing. Not there yet, especially with the hills in this transition area.

2007 - 1:44
2008 - 2:00

Nothing really.
Run
  • 37m 15s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was disappointed with this run because I had a side stitch for the first mile and walked much more than planned. My goal was 11:00/mile, and that's exactly what I did, so I should be happier than I am.

I saw 13 minutes on my watch at Mile 1, so I was mad at myself. (I realized later that this may have included T2). Mile 2 was about 11 minutes later, but my watch didn't take the split again. I walked some of the uphills and tried to run the remainder of the course. Cold sponges at the top of the hill from the volunteers were a Godsend. I was just starting to get really hot, even though most of the course is very well shaded. At Mile 3, an Athena passed me and I tried to run her down the remainder of the race. I finished 27 seconds behind her. My run endurance is significantly better than last year, but I still think I could have done much better.

2007 - 42:32 (12:31/mi pace)
2008 - 37:15 (10:58/mi pace)

Drink more on the bike so I don't get a side stitch during the run. Fewer walk breaks.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my daughter at the top of the hill. Drank lots of water and gatorade. Got some post-race food which was kinda gross (sugar free peanut butter, "healthy" cookies, some sort of lentil rice salad, and natural fruit juices) -- I wanted a real Coke, Oreos and real peanut butter after 2+ hours of working out! Talked to the Luna Chix about their race (they are soooooo fast), and saw MelissaE at the Mid-Maryland Tri tent for a few minutes. Found race results and realized I was only two places out of hardware range (dang!), so daughter and I packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition. I really need to fuel better during my races. I had nothing to eat right before or during the race. I don't like to train with anything on my stomach, so I rarely eat before a workout. Need to start testing things that don't mess with my stomach so that I can take in some calories during races.

Event comments:

Improved by 20 minutes over last year, so I'm very happy with my performance. For the first time, I felt relaxed and confident throughout instead of anxious and jittery. I didn't let anything bother me and I smiled the whole time.

2007 - 2:27:22.50
2008 - 2:07:32.90

Great race atmosphere and lots of volunteers. Tons of first-time triathletes which was exciting. The weather was just perfect, and it was a great time.

Last updated: 2008-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
17:37:00 | 1100 yards | 1h 36m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/47
Overall: 73/1622
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Fresh water lake. Rectangular course. First few buoys were swimming directly into the sunrise.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:10 | 17.5 miles | 15.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/47
Overall: 515/1622
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:15 | 03.4 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/47
Overall: 775/1622
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly shaded path around Centennial Lake. Lots of hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD
Subject: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

2008-08-25 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1626506

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon

Great race!!   Wow.. you're a fish!  Nice job hitting your time goal on the bike.

Nice to meet you at the BT dinner!

2008-08-25 10:07 PM

Ellicott City, MD
Great report. I agree, you are a fish. I was just hoping the swim would be over--soon! I had hydrating and fueling issues as well.
2008-08-26 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
Laurie, I think you had a Fantastic Race!  That swim time is just SICK.    Also wanted to let you know that because you're in a race and already have a chip and number on, you don't need to wear your Road ID.  If something were to happen, medics would radio your number back to the park where they have a complete listing of everyone's emergency contact info (that you provide when you register for the race).  I would only wear it if there is some other info on there medics would need to know if you are unconscious.  That should save you a little time in T1.  And, if you need to wear it, just put it on the ankle opposite your chip before the swim.
2008-08-26 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Great race. Your swim was awesome, calling it a natural strength is selling it short.
Taking 20 minutes off last year's time is great, that's a ton of time to drop in just a year.
Congratulations.
2008-08-26 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
You did a fantastic job and really cut last years time.  You are really a very strong swimmer. Made huge jump from last years run.  Stinks that you justed miised hardwear.  Next year you'll get it for sure.  Sorry we missed eachother race day.  K and I left right after because the food sucked and we were starving!!

2008-08-26 10:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA

OMG! Fantastic results! You did great. Really happy for you!  You're a great swimmer--look at you with that time and place!!!

Congrats!

2008-08-27 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Awesome improvements!  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Columbia Women's Triathlon Rss Feed