General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wow - my swim stinks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 4:05 PM

New user

Subject: wow - my swim stinks!

So I just got in the pool today, after about 2 1/2 years of having not done one lap. I REALLY struggled, and this has really got me down on myself. I mean, I know I was going to struggle with the swim, but this was ridiculous!!!

I'm definitely going to need a swim coach or some type of masters swim class. Anyone know of anyone/anything in Johnson County?

Thanks - trying not to break my own spirit.....

2008-08-25 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1626731

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: wow - my swim stinks!

Both Prairie Life locations have Masters sessions. Olathe is Tues and Thurs at 6am and 7pm and another Saturday morning I think.

Overland Park has them Tues and Thurs at 5:30 as well as a morning session that I'm not sure about in terms of schedule. 

2008-08-25 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1627328

New user

thanks so much! i am leaving quivira sports & health and joining healthridge. i saw that healthridge has a masters swim program 2 nights a week and on saturdays. i wish they had a morning/day class, but i'll take what i can get!!
2008-09-01 4:02 PM

User image

Not sure about the masters program at Healthridge (From what I have seen they are not to friendly), but other than that you will love Healthridge, I belong and so do many other Triathlete's.
2008-09-01 9:03 PM
in reply to: #1641883

New user

thanks for the reply...i'm a little nervous about them not being friendly! do you mean the staff in general, or the masters swim teachers? i thought about hiring a tri coach at the end of nov., so maybe i'll go that route and forgo the masters.
2008-09-02 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
Getting a coach maybe, maybe a way to go. I belong to KC Blazers masters team. Masters team swimming can go two ways.
The coach spits out the WU, drill set, main set, CD, you get it done, talk a little to your fellow swimmers and triathletes and you go home. No real supervision, no stroke work, no one on one assesment and guidance for improvement. Your only bet is to look around, pick few strong swimmers and watch how they swim.
The other way, which is not that wide spread, masters coaches do get involved in serious stroke work, providing drills and guidance in correcting stroke flaws.
Just make sure you understand what your limiters are and pick a route that will best adress that.
On the other hand when you hire a tri coach, you will get that one on one assesment and guidance. That being said, I don't have a tri coach.
Hope this somewhat helps with making some choices. You will have others chime in on the subject with more experience than I have.

2008-09-03 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1642341

User image

The staff at Healthridge is friendly, but the swim maters coach or whatever she is (If she is still there, this was sometime about a year ago) was not. I was in the pool swimming and wanting to talk to her about joining and had about 10 minutes to go before the start of her class. She was in the biggest hurry to get me out of the pool and seemed like she did not even have time to talk to help me join the class, she was very rude...

I would go the way of a coach, that is what I am thinking of doing this winter after Ironman Arizona and a little rest (The swim is really the only part holding me back now from placing very well).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » wow - my swim stinks! Rss Feed