Sun Multisport Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 6s
Overall Rank = 573/619
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 23/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 and met with DK for quick breakfast. got to the race site, got a choice parking spot and set up tents and transition.
Event warmup:

gassbagging and set up is about all I seem to ever need.
Swim
  • 26m 55s
  • 1408 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

first 200 was a zoo. due to "shallow water" they had us go to the left of the first bouy. Had someone drafting me so close, their hands were hitting my arse. Good thing for them I do not kick, for if I did, a broken jaw would have happened.

Was able to mix it up off and on in the draft, but I did not get to the front before the gun, and once again, this put me in a bad spot. Still had my 2nd fastest swim at this race and was 3rd fastest BTer that I know of (Jorge dose not count as he is an elite ) :)

A little over 1/2 way through the swim, I got on the wrong side of someone and we were matching speeds. Had to sit up and switch sides to get back on course.

What would you do differently?:

Overall, I was happy with the swim. A few tactical errors, but not a big deal in the big picture of things
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

pretty good transition. Needed to make sure the feet were cleaner as I had a small piece of something under my big toe for the ride.

not much, I rocked this pretty good.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 10s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out quite hard. Knew I was pushing and could blow up on the run for this effort. I knew if I wanted any chance of a PR, I would have to be at least at 18 MPH average. Had that most of the way. The mile makers clicked off fast, and I thought they might be wrong at a few points. I did not feel like this pace was way too hard, but the run showed I left little in the tank. I started to leg cramp twards the end and knew I was in for a long run.

train out on the road a lot more. I think I have had 6 outside rides this year and it realy shows. Tons of drainer miles help, but do not hone riding skills at all. I loged a lot of bike hours, but I think they were a lot of calorie burning miles, not skill mussles.

Mind you, this was a quick time for me, not my fastest, but in the mix. I just needed to have something left in the tank.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

completely forgot about the speed bumps on the road in to transtion. Was too late to get my feet out of the shoes before the dismount line.

not much, I am happy with my tranistions in genereal
Run
  • 1h 24m 3s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy this realy sucked.Slower than last year, and I was still recovering last year from an injury. Thought I was still faster than last year, until I checked the numbers. I walked most of this course. Started out with 11:30's for the first two miles. Knew at that pace a PR was completely lost.

Started to walk just after mile 2. Got a pebble in my shoe, and by the time I got it out, a blister had started. Add to that a few twinges in the shins and groin, and I decided to let the race go as a finish.

I had to keep in mind, I have only one real chance left this season to get my act together for a PR and that is the Baystate Marry. As of right now, I am not even entered, but have to get my mile up realy soon. With that in mind, I mailed in the rest of the run and only put on dashes for the camera man and the finsh shoot.

The blister was sore enough that I walked about 1/4 mile on the road without my shoes, but then thought better of it.

Get my act together. I skiped a bunch of weekend training runs and rides to let my wife sleep on the weekends. That was more important than PR's, but now I need to set a little focus on the rest of the season.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a cold water in the finish shoot, and headed for the lake for a dip. The water was not cold enough, but it helped. headed from the lake to tranistion for some sandles (sneakers were not going on again). Decided to clear out of tranistion while I was there, put the stuff in the car and grabbed some food.

From there I joined the rest of the BT tent who had been hanging around for quite awhile. Noting like being slow and the last wave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training PERIOD!

Event comments:

great social event at the end. Sucks to be in the last wave and slow. People were about to leave as I was settling in. The highlight of the day were the number of BTers with PR's. Sue just rocked it hard today. She got my tough cookie award that was given to me 2 years ago by TriMom217 ;)

It was great to see Marma and the family. Add to that the now annual pigramage of Sue's parents to the event. Kathy and her clan we in attandace too.

Best part of the weekend was finding out there is a movement to make it a 2 day event with a sprint distance race and a kids race on Sat..

This was kind of a breakthrough race for me. I had goals, but no pressure. No excuses and just had a nice race. Did not realy get too up or down, just in a "happy place". I think I am learning from the likes of Max, Sue and Dennise.

Last updated: 2008-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:55 | 1408 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 284/619
Performance: Average
Suit: F2R sockeye
Course: hour glass course, shallow at points
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:10 | 24.9 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Overall: 494/619
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A pretty course with some rolling hills. Nothing major, but some can sneak up on you
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:24:03 | 06.2 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Overall: 610/619
Performance: Bad
Course: shady loop, some light hills, with one or two climbs of achivable grade mixed in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 7:12 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2008-08-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1627164

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon
wife sounds like she might be willing to do the weekend thing next year with the kids if they can race and or work at an aid station!!
2008-08-25 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
MA

Hey, it's a pity we didn't wear matching uniforms this year.  I was thinking you might want to chase down jamjam as you guys were twins this year. 

I knew you would have a good swim split.  And I knew you would suffer on the run.  On the run course and at the finish, I got asked by many if I had seen you. 

But you had fun!  That is important.  So next year you won't have to look for roommates?  That makes it easier for ME to look for a roommate then.  Haha. 

Oh.. and thanks for driving. 

2008-08-25 8:11 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey you   nice job and glad you had fun which is really why we all do this after all Now GO RUNNING
2008-08-25 10:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'm so glad you had fun!

It was a great weekend and seeing the whole BT clan always rocks!

Great race, super attitude...enjoy Mary training 

2008-08-29 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Great job Joe!...and look at that swim time!!

It was nice to see you again...even for just a few seconds.

2008-08-29 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA

Glad to hear that you had fun, which is the most important part!

And oh yeah, nice swim! 

2008-08-29 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Hey good job - and yes outside riding is a totally different animal than trainer riding!

glad you had fun - I will be there next year! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed