CRIM Foundation
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 15s
Overall Rank = 1468/12111
Age Group = 25-29F
Age Group Rank = 52/556
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Oatmeal + banana + honey and a cup of coffee. GE 60 min before race. Got to Flint with plenty of time to spare, but ran into major traffic on 465. Then a cop was redirecting traffic, so we were cutting our time close. Ran into Jim from work in the parking lot at UM Flint and he showed us where to go for packet pickup. So crowded! Ran into Lainie from work on the way in - crazy to see so many people we know!
Event warmup:

Pretty much warmed up by jogging back to the car and back. Took a shot block at the car and hit the secret UM Rec. center bathrooms where there was no line. Got back to the start line with about 10 min. to spare. I hate being rushed at the start of the race! At this point I was already pretty sweaty from the heat, so I knew it was going to be a long day
Run
  • 1h 26m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot and humid. Was trying to maintain an 8:30 pace which would've put me at 1:25 overall. We heard them announce in the morning that powerade would be at miles 5 & 8, but just water other than that. Bummer. I could've used some serious electrolytes as I was drenched in sweat. The hills weren't as bad as I imagined, but I did fall off pace between miles 5-6 where the inclines went a little longer.

This was an awesome race and I can't believe we've never done it before. Krispy Kremes, beer (I didn't partake in either), lots of spectators, bands, and a lot of neighborhood water stations and sprinklers. I was overheating and just made sure to take in water at least every mile. But the race went fast as there was so much entertainment! We'll definitely do this one again!
What would you do differently?:

I might've taken some e-caps or other nutrituion just so I wouldn't feel so depleted...I was definitely pretty dehydrated when all was said and done. But overall a pretty good race for me!
Post race
Warm down:

Spent over an HOUR looking for Eric in the madness...we should've come up with a game plan.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT! And not doing any speed workouts for about 2 years with IM training...

Event comments:

Just need more nutrition at the aid stations, but an awesome race!

Last updated: 2008-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:15 | 10 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/556
Overall: 1468/12111
Performance: Good
Course: Big loop through the streets of Flint.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes