Manitowoc - Two Rivers YMCA
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 46s
Overall Rank = 87/214
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Woke up from a sound sleep to the alarm going off at 4:45am. For some reason, I wasn't nervous about this one at all. Got a good nights sleep. Made myself a peanut butter English Muffin, Pop Tart and some Accelerate. Drove to Manty and got there pretty early and was able to get a pretty good rack position.
Event warmup:

Ran a little bit, swam a little bit, talked a little bit and then went to the potty.
Swim
  • 05m 29s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time I was in the water since SOR. I started in the front on the outside, knowing that I would be one of the faster people inthe wave, but not as cocky to be on the inside. The horn goes off and I start trotting through the water and when the water was above my thight I did two dolphin dives and I was off. I breathe on my left and saw that there was another guy that was breathing to his right and we pretty much on pace and same stroke cadence. So you wanna dance? I figured this was the last race of the year and had nothing to lose, so i decided to step it up a little bit and see what this guy is made of. A couple of long, strong strokes and soon he was out of sight. Keep going man, don't let up. I rounded the first buoy pretty well and by this time i was running into wave traffic and had to navigate a little more that i wanted to. I pulled up for a few breaststrokes and saw the "guy" coming on my left. Oh know you don't. Buried the head down and pulled a couple more hundred feet and before I knew it I was scraping the bottom. Stood up and started running toward the shore. 1st in the wave out of the water, as far as i could tell. Yippee.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was really happy with this swim, especially since I haven't done anything since my "A" race. Took :20 seconds off of last year's time!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Kind of a weird transition for me. For some reason I was fumbling around a lot. I don't think I was slow, overall, but it just seemed like I was all thumbs.

Can't think of anything.
Bike
  • 51m 22s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt pretty good. I was in aero the entire time and I reall had a comfortable pace throughout the race. I was .9 mph faster than last year, which I thought was pretty good. The roads were slick, but if you were cautious, you were fine. I was definitely passing more people than being passed, which is always more fun. I was jockeying with a guy, but by mile 10 or so, i never saw him again, I guess he didn't want to play anymore.

Go faster
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a really fast transition. Shoes slipped on and then the hat and i was gone!

Nothing
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was actually pretty comfortable right after the bike. Usually I struggle a bit and need to get warmed up a bit, but I was feeling pretty good. I felt like I was pushing it a little harder than normal and I was pretty surprised by my time, I felt much faster than that, but I did have to stop once and stretch out my right calf. I saw someone that i met at the GB triathlon at the turn around and I thought for sure he would have passed me, but I held him off the entire run, which i was happy about.

Loose more weight, run more and get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of water and a little stretching afterward. Taling with TriDDS, buhdabuhda (Nate) and a few others. We went to Perkins after the race and downed two big glasses of Chocolate milk and a Eggs Scrambler. Good times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of trainging, focus and natural ability.

Event comments:

This is my anniversary race, Year number 3 for me. It's a nice, low key race and it's fun to see improvement. I was 2:54 faster than 2007 and 9:30 faster than 2006, I'm pretty pleased with those results especially on a short Sprint course.

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:29 | 440 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 18/214
Performance: Good
Suit: Full 2XU Comp
Course: Triangle, counterclockwise from the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:22 | 16 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 68/214
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a loop on the end.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:57 | 03.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 114/214
Course: Out and back on a path next to Lake Michigan
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 9:35 AM

User image

Subject: MTRY Triathlon

2008-08-26 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1628544

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: MTRY Triathlon

Bravo!  Magnifico!  And that swim time included your T1, amazing.  These are awesome results, especially after not doing much for over a month.  Kudos.  I can only dream of getting under 1:30 for a sprint. 

2008-08-26 12:24 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Teach me to swim, oh wise one!

PB's on all aspects - that's SA WEET!!!

That's how to end the season!  EEEEAAAAWWWW!!!

2008-08-26 1:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice job oh master of the 4 wheeler - improvement is always a good thing - especially with little to no training lately.  Looking forward to racing with ya next year.
2008-08-26 7:12 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Eeeeeeeeeeeeawwwwwwesome job Buddy! Way to finish the season strong!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MTRY Triathlon Rss Feed