General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Park City, Utah
United States
Tri Utah
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 31s
Overall Rank = 345/413
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 36/42
Pre-race routine:

In preface to this report... let me add how grateful I am to all of those here who have inspired, challenged, and supported me through my ventures these past months. My family, my friends and co-workers, and the BT community have helped me acheive a goal that I would have never thought possible a year ago... and now I have a new hobby :)

Actually slept pretty good. Woke-up at 5:30'ish... ate my normal breakfst of cereal, toast, and cranberry juice. Grabbed an Ensure on the way out the door and drank it, too. Sitter got to the house early at 5:50'ish (she's awesome). Left the house by 6:15'ish (a little late but okay) Learned to not let hubby drive on race days, it constantly irritated me that I thought he was going to slow!!! He actually was able to drop me off on the side of the road near the park and I didn't have to ride my bike down the "big hill". Though I did have issues because the backpack kept pushing my helmet down over my eyes (yeah, not a good thing :) ).
Event warmup:

Met up with some ladies that I've been catching workouts with and meeting at little clinics here and there. Pretty much I just hung out... the lady next to me was getting hungry (check-in at 7:30 our wave at 10:00 :( ) so I shared some of my PBJ with her (yeah, I packed the kitchen pantry and put a dent in water rations). Surprisingly, I didn't feel nervous...
OH warm-up.... you mean when it's warm outside I'm supposed to WARM-UP??? ;)
Swim
  • 27m 52s
  • 820 yards
  • 03m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

WOW!!! I was allowing myself 35 to 40 to complete this!!! I did what I planned I stuck to the outside to start... which worked pretty good except believe it or not, I think there were ladies worse than I that did the same thing and one lady kept backstroking in front of me (like 4 times!!!) She obviously was stronger on her back, b/c as soon as I would pass her and get away from her, she'd flip on her back again and pass me (swimming across in front of me :( )
My sighting was much better than I thought I'd be.
Things started going well after the first bouy until the men from the next wave started to pass me, and it kind of stunned me a little.
Go figure as the end came closer I finally got a good rhythm going.
What would you do differently?:

Stretch more before hand... my arms got tired right off the start, until they loosened up a little.
So I think it goes back to that whole "warm-up" thing ;)
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Boy, that was longer than it felt. I took another puff of my inhaler and grabbed some beans... can't really figure out WHAT slowed me down other than that I'm slow...

Practice? Have no idea WHAT exactly I did wrong...
Bike
  • 51m 8s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.59 mile/hr
Comments:

OMG!!! The first time I went to shift my frt drlr, the chain dropped... Sounds familiar to some... yes, the exact same thing has happened on SEVERAL of my rides this year... I had it tuned in, before it went to the shop after the garage incident, and I forgot to tune it back after I got it out of the shop :(
So I'm betting that was at least two minutes of my time there. After it dropped the first time, I didn't dare want to shift for the "big" hill, so I just mashed it out (and still passed people!!!!)
Early on the road a girl from the clinic who must be very competitive started to play leap frog with me like last week... I was bound and determined that I was NOT going to let her pass me this week... after the chain slip I thought catching her was out of the question... well, I guess my lack of fear for speed paid off... I totally smoked her on the delcine :) Amazing how many people get out of aero and sit on their brakes going downhill, I could actually smell the burnt rubber when I got to the "big" hill. Funny, I think I used to be one of those people ;)

Ride more between bike repair and race to find "slips" in the tuning...
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Once again, what am I doing??? I didn't exaclty sit down and give myself a pedicure... though I did forget to have my shoes untied beforehand :( I know, that was dumb... but I did have my socks rolled down ;) Another puff off the inhaler and more beans...

untie my shoes, duh
Run
  • 38m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, what can I say... it was between 11:30 and 11:45 in the morning and getting HOT!!!! B/c I enjoy the bike so much it's too easy for me to push it without realizing it. My legs were stiff... not much mroe I can say than that :(

Need to find a point at which to stretch????
Post race
Warm down:

Grapes, water... Met up with hubby and walked over to the nature center. Used restroom in airconditioning and washed the salty sweat off my face :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and.... time and... training and... time and...
You got the idea...

Event comments:

I will definitely repeat this race each year as a measure of my progress. It was a good acheivable challenge... My goal next year will be to complete in 1:50... Guess it's time to get working...

One thing that I wish the race would have had were beverage and snacks for purchase by spectators... being out in the middle of no where and riding a shuttle to the park made it kind of difficult for spectators to bring little coolers... I'm glad we didn't bring the boys...

Last updated: 2008-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:52 | 820 yards | 03m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/413
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Rec Suit
Course: Clockwise bouys
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:08 | 12.43 miles | 14.59 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Kind of a loop, 1 small hill, 1 big hill, 1 great big downhill!!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:35 | 03.11 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: HOT... some hills up and some hills down...part road, part trail...
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-08-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1628611

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Congratulations!!  Great job on the race and beating the swim time you wanted.  Making it through the derailleur problems is a pain.  Your next transitions will definitely be faster.  The first ones are always slow.

When's your next one? 

2008-08-26 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Congrats!! Great swim and nice work dealing with bike issues. 

2008-08-26 1:02 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
I know why T2 might have been a little longer... I actually dug out my hand sanitizer to try and get some of the grease off my hands...
2008-08-26 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

Hey nice race, sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

2008-08-26 8:18 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

You did have fun, didn't ya?

Use this as a learning tool and keep on improving!

Way to go, Heather!

2008-08-27 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Ok, ok. What can I say except you rock! I only hope I can keep up with you...
2008-08-30 9:23 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Heather!

a great report - you had a great race and know what you will do differently next time

you've come a long way baby!

WTG!!!

2008-09-02 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Heather, great report! Sorry this is a bit late, but I just wanted to give you a shout out! Congrats on pulling through and doing so awesome!
2008-09-05 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Heather!!!  Sounds like you had a great race.  Way to tackle those downhills on the bike.

What a great race attitude!

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you and Amy over vacation...it was busy.busy.  I may be out again in October.

Congrats again!

2008-09-06 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Heather,

You didn't say if you were dropping going from the big to the small chainring or going from small to big.

If it is going from big to small, often, if you just stop pedaling, coast, shift back up to your big ring and then resume pedaling the derailler will pull the chain back onto the big ring. Then shift down more cardfully.

If it is overhsooting the big ring going from small to big, it is a set screw adjustment that a mechanic would be able to show you how to do yourself in about three minutes.

I am not sure what you are riding but if it is a triple chainring upfront, notorious for being more difficult to set up and to keep working more smoothly, you may want to consider changing to a compact set of gears of upfront and a wide range cluster in the back (12-27). You would have almost of all of the bailout capability of the triple without the hassles of a triple.

I don't live in Utah anymore but loved the Jordanelle race when I did, sounds like you had a good experience, congratulations on the first OWS, see, that wasn't soo bad : )

BV(formerly)fromParkCity

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jordanelle Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed