General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Escalon, California
United States
On Your Mark Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 53s
Overall Rank = 27/183
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/16
Pre-race routine:

I was kinda peeved the week before the race, I know this is a brand new race but they should have given some indication about the course, anyway!I woke up early, around 4:30,sore as hell freom the swim meet Saturday,my bum,legs and shoulders. Figured I would just have a fun race, or at least have that frame of mind. Had some oatmeal, coffee and I was off!
Event warmup:

Light stretch to calm the soreness, finished setup. Talked with others to try to figure out the course or at least the in and out sequence, no one had a clue, not good!
Swim
  • 19m 19s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

What was intended to be a 500 yard swim ended up around a 1100 swim, WTF, how could this happen, everyone I spoke to said it was at least 1000 yards,I'm guessing 1100 base on my time, way longer than the 500 that everyone paced for, that sucked ! I started off good and wanted to stay smooth until the first bouy, the current and chop started at that point and wanted to conserve. I ended up swimming solo most of the swim because I was out front and never got a chance to draft, I guess I lucked out because of the longer swim , there were a ton of people behind me now.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Had to sit and wipe down feet because I had soo much gravel. It cost me extra time but it was bad!

Nothing
Bike
  • 52m 17s
  • 16 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of transition sprinting, good start!Came up on the first person to pass and we ended up staying even for about six miles trading the lead. He was close enough that we could talk, after a minute I found out he was in my age group, our marks washed off,so I figured I would drop behind him and let him pull me, he ended up pulling away during a few short climbs and maintained a 100 yard lead. A younger girl passed at this point and thanked me for bieng her carrot, whatever, she built a nice gap on me also!Went with no socks and toes were feeling like they were blistering, wont do this again.
Overall my average speed was 20mph, and my odometer read 17.25 and not 16 miles.

Draft
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Went thru as fast as I could!

check laces.
Run
  • 28m 20s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

First time using speed laces, my right shoe would not tighten, not good!
I started off slow and missed the first of two water stops, a line of cars cut me off, that sucked because it was around 95 degrees at that time. At the turn around the guy I was pacing off did not turn and kept going straight, at first I laughed my @ss off, then I realized he was not comming back! I did the right thing and chased him down because I could not yell or whistle at this point, oh well, wasn't like I was shooting for the podium or anything, or so I thought! On the way in an older lady was walking her bike up one of the hills, she tried to get back up on her bike and fell off as I was comming up on her, she was ok and I showed her how it would be better if she did this in the road and not in the gravel, and she was off,oh well.

I probably lost around 5 or six minutes helping others, I would not change that, I did the best that I could!
Post race
Warm down:

1/2 mile jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike and run speed!I ended up 4th in my age group and missed 1st by 12 minuts and 3rd by two minutes, so I was in the mix! It turned out to be a great weekend, I missed nationals in breastroke by a half second Saturday and missed third in this race by a few minutes, way cool!

Event comments:

Course was way off, but was to my advantage in the swim, almost got to the podium, like that will ever happen again! I found out that 26 people dropped out of the swim, had the kayaks bring them in or they just turned around because it was soo long, that sucks for someone that is at thier first race, I wished it was longer!

Last updated: 2008-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:19 | 500 yards | 03m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 10/183
Performance: Good
Suit: Profile Bionix
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:17 | 16 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 15/183
Wind: Some
Course: Loop around lake
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:20 | 03.2 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 23/183
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 10:01 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon

2008-08-26 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1628626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon
You did the right thing to help the poor fellow... Two races in the same weekend... what a rock you are...  Did my first multi-sport event this weekend.  It was good, bad and ugly... all at once... Good job my friend.  Emerson
2008-08-27 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1628626

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: RE: Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon

Way to go Stuart! You got fourth in your AG - that is AWESOME - and it's only because you helped out other people.  My philosophy on that is that it'll come back to you 10x when you need it most. You are a good guy to help out the newbies.

You are doing so great with all the training.  Hopefully the weather will cool down for ya soon - for the next race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kaiser Permanente Central Valley Triathlon Rss Feed