General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to open water swim in North Baltimore County? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-26 11:18 AM

Subject: Where to open water swim in North Baltimore County?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and considering do my first tri perhaps sometime in 2009.

I'm 'researching' all of the prep work and will begin my training this week.  I have access to a pool at a local college but I understand open water is the best way to train.

Does anyone know of a good place to train in open water in this area?  I'm thinking Gunpowder but I have no idea about hours, or even if you are allowed to swim on your own.

Any advice is certainly appreciated!

Thanks!

2008-08-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1628892

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Where to open water swim in North Baltimore County?

I'm pretty sure there is a sandy beach in Gunpowder Falls Sate Park that is open to public swimming... off of Graces Quarters Road.  Right now there may be sea nettles (jellyfish)... so a wetsuit is advised even with the warm water.  They also make "jellyfish repellant" which is a lotion you can put on your hands, feet, and face... it doesn't actually repel them, just creates a think layer of something on your skin that prevents or minimizes the stinging cells from being able to penetrate your skin and sting you.

If you're thinking about a triathlon next year, in my opinion you don't need to worry about open water swimming until later next year... unless it's a major fear for you that you need to work on getting past now.  But if it's just a training tool, time in the pool will be fine until next year.

2008-08-26 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Oh - and forgive me... WELCOME to the forums/website!!!!
2008-08-26 5:31 PM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD

I'm a Baltimore County girl and the two places that come immediately to mind are the Hammerman Area of Gunpowder Falls State Park (a little east of White Marsh) and Beaver Dam Swim Club.  You can't swim in any of the reservoirs (like Loch Raven or Prettyboy).  Gunpowder has a anice beach area and the big advantage is you can swim parallel to shore just outside the ropes where there is a jetty every 100 yds, so it's easy to measure your distance.  The cost to enter is minimal ($3-$5, somewhere in that range), although I've never seen lifeguards there.

Beaver Dam is only open during the summer and it's a little pricer to get in.  It's a freshwater quarry with a pretty small swimming area - definitely not designed for swimming any significant distance.  But, if you're brand new to OWS and it's close for you, it wouldn't hurt to swim there first to work out your nerves.  There is no current and you can essentially swim around the perimeter of a very small area with a floating dock in the middle.

Having lived in Baltimore County (Parkville) for many years and trained for triathlon during some of them, I can say that the drive south to Sandy Point State Park is worth it for the occasional OWS.  The price is about the same as Gunpowder (can't remember if they charge per person or per car, but it's $3-5 again), but there are lifeguards after a certain hour in the day and you can swim further.  However, this is in the Bay, so you may encounter sea nettles.

That's really it for OWS in this area.  I'm curious - is the college pool at Goucher?  I used to swim there when I was a member of Brick Bodies and liked that pool.  Post more questions here if you like.  I've got a fairly decent wealth of knowledge about Baltimore County.

And, welcome to BT!

2008-08-28 9:45 AM

Hi Melissa and Josh,

Thanks so much for your valuable information!  I appreciate it.  I was thinking of Hammermans Beach at Gunpowder as well but I'm a bit nervous about those jelllyfish.  I don't have a wet suit so perhaps I should wait on the open water until next year as Josh recommended.

Melissa, I'm in Perry Hall so you are a stone's throw away from me.  I also train at Brickbodies and yes, the pool is Goucher.  I haven't been there yet but I do know I have access to it.

I am interested in trying out Sandy State Park and I like the idea of the buoys and being able to track distance so if I can figure out when/how to get a wetsuit maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

Melissa, where do you train now?  I did start my training yesterday.......I'm just trying to figure out my starting point.  I started with a 650m swim at Padonia Park Pool and did a 5k power walk at the gym.

If I'm over my soreness by tomorrow I may venture out to a spin class in the we hours of the morning.

Thanks again for your help.  I'm sure I will be asking alot more questions.

2008-08-28 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1634519

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
mommabella - 2008-08-28 10:45 AM

Hi Melissa and Josh,

Thanks so much for your valuable information!  I appreciate it.  I was thinking of Hammermans Beach at Gunpowder as well but I'm a bit nervous about those jelllyfish.  I don't have a wet suit so perhaps I should wait on the open water until next year as Josh recommended.

Melissa, I'm in Perry Hall so you are a stone's throw away from me.  I also train at Brickbodies and yes, the pool is Goucher.  I haven't been there yet but I do know I have access to it.

I am interested in trying out Sandy State Park and I like the idea of the buoys and being able to track distance so if I can figure out when/how to get a wetsuit maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.

Melissa, where do you train now?  I did start my training yesterday.......I'm just trying to figure out my starting point.  I started with a 650m swim at Padonia Park Pool and did a 5k power walk at the gym.

If I'm over my soreness by tomorrow I may venture out to a spin class in the we hours of the morning.

Ask away. And log your workouts here if you're so inclined (one of this site's best features) so that we can give better feedback.

2008-08-28 4:22 PM

User image

New user

Glen Burnie

I would also suggest the Hammerman area of the Gunpowder.  Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a triathlon series that actually used that area for the swim.  You should also be able to get a year pass to the park if you decide to go often, it will allow everyone in your car entry into the park.

If you are new to ows, I'd stay away from Sandy Point. I don't know how far out they will let you go there.

2008-08-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1634519

User image

Expert
Columbia, MD
mommabella - 2008-08-28 10:45 AM

Hi Melissa and Josh,

Well, if you're in Perry Hall, then it's a no-brainer - train at Gunpowder.  I'm not sure there are jellyfish there, though.  It's a river, right guys?  In any case, if your triathlon isn't until next year, just stay in the pool for now.  There's no rush to get OWS experience yet unless your race is early in the season.  With a wetsuit, we typically start swimming at Gunpowder (and Sandy Point) in April, but it's quite chilly.  Without a wetsuit, you could probably start swimming in there in late May.  The jellyfish usually turn up at Sandy Point around the 4th of July.

I really liked swimming in the pool at Goucher.  Not too crowded and a good water temp.  Even though you're with Brick Bodies (I used to be there, but moved to Columbia last Spring and joined Columbia Association), check with the pool to see if they have a Masters group and if you can join.  I've also swum at Padonia Park (this is funny -- you're like the "me" of 3 summers ago), but that lap pool, quite frankly, is pretty lame.  Better than nothing, though.

I would consider, in addition to BT, joining one of the local triathlon clubs.  I have to put in my plug for my club, the Mid-Maryland Triathlon Club, based in Columbia, but there's also the Baltimore Area Triathlon Club, near you.  MMTC is larger than BATC, but they meet at the MAC in Timonium, which is closer for you.  Good luck with your training!

2008-08-29 12:38 PM

Great info.  Once again, thanks so much.  I will look into the gunpowder yearly membership and yes, Goucher pool is a good one for now. 

I will also check out the BATC!  

You guys are great!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to open water swim in North Baltimore County? Rss Feed