General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lee's Summit, Kansas
United States
Jackson County Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 3s
Overall Rank = 46/435
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/19
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to KC the day before with Lisa and Eric and checked in at the lake. The challenge for this race was going to be to beat Eric. I knew it would be tough to get an age-group award so I would focus on beating Eric. It wouldn't be easy. The race had lmost been over for me by this time. About 30 miles before we hit KC my bike fell off the bike rack and managed to be saved by the extra strap we tied around everything. Knocked my wheel out of true a little but didn't hurt anything else. I had it looked at at bike source and they tuned it up for me. Got a haircut and checked into the hotel. Ate the usual OTB before the race. Got to bed at a fiarly decent time. Woke up at 4:30 and got ready. Ate a cliff bar when I got to the race site. Set up my area, used the port-a-john and got ready to warm-up.
Event warmup:

A few little things kinda prevented this, by the time I made it to the beach they were gathering the 1st heat athletes for a little pre-race meeting. They had us cross the timing mat and wade into the water to start. Then we waited 5 minutes. SO I decided to swim around a little and get the arms moving.
Swim
  • 24m 55s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started right in the middle of everyone int he swim. Swam over a couple people, the usual bumping and kicking but nothing bad. It was a small wave so things thined out quick. Anytime I could I would find some feet and glide behind them. I never got a rythmn on the first loop. I could see Eric most of the time and relaized he wasn't swimming straight at all. Eric swims a little faster so I was happy to see this. It would keep him close. He finihsed the first loop ahead of me and was about half way across the beach to his second loop when I got out. His lack of direction in the lake would fail him though and I caught him on the second loop. We actually crossed the timing mat together out of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Prepare better and make sure I got a good warm-up. I felt better after the IMKS swim then this one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Eric ran into T1 with me and I knew I needed to make up time on him here. He bikes faster then I do so any head start would help. I didn't have my GU taped to my bike and it took me a few seconds to get it shoved in a pocket on my top. the rest went real smooth as I left my rack well ahead of eric. Then I had some issues buckling my helmet and had to stop running tofix it. Got it clipped, ran out, running start, clippied in fine, I was off.

I really want some Tri shoes so I can leave them on the pedals and put my feet in as I ride. It would cut a few seconds for me. Not forget my tape next time for my GU.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 12s
  • 23.53 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off well on this one. I didn't have my bike computer with me becuase I wanted to see if I could push harder without it. I don't know if it worked. I crusied to the hill and found it wasn't so fun to climb. Went down the side and Eric caught me shortly after that. We switched spots a couple times and then he passed me for good jsut before we had to hop off on the wood bridge. I decided as long as I kept him close I could beat him on the run. I worked hard to keep fairly close but that inclusded trucking up the backside of the big hill and when I hit the top my stomach started to get a little queasy. I proceeded to coast about half of the way down the big hill. I figured this would be the best place if any to lower my HR a little and be able to keep that gap to a minimum. On the out and back that heads to the turn around I got a chance to see how far ahead he had gotten and it was a ways. There was a headwind to the turn around and I wanted to puke. I went through the turn around, choked down my GU and started working again. I told myself I really needed a faster 2nd loop. I pushed hard through the second loop but never got Eric back in sight. Now I jsut focused on riding fast. I was a little worried I would kill my legs and not be able to make up time running but I decided I was going to have to HTFU come run time anyway. Went real hard the 2nd loop and felt better by the time I got back near transition.

Once again I think my legs suffered from a lack of training before hand. This ride is what really slowed down my race I think. I guess I'm just gonna have to get more T.I.T.S.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I knew this would be a chance to make up some time since Eric dosen't transition as fast. He was gone from transition so I knew I had my work cut out for me. I did the rolling dismount and ran in. Racked the bike fine, shoes went on easy, grabbed the hat and number and put them on while I ran.

Nothing, this was perfect for me. Only 3 people did T2 faster then me in my AG, the fastest was 46 sec so I wasn't far off.
Run
  • 35m 49s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm faster then Eric running so I knew my only hope of beating him now was to catch him. I just hoped i could get as close as possible before the turn around so he would have less time to react. I set out at a fast pace, I've learned if I wanna run fast I need to start fast. Once again no watch with me, just the knowledge that Eric was ahead. I passed a coulpe folks early, including one in my Age Group, made a point of flying by him. I didn't need anyone else trying to beat me on the run. I cruised throught te first mile and after about a mile and a half thought I saw a glimpse of Eric a good quarter mile ahead of me around a picnic area. I picked up the pace a little. My legs were still lead and my breathing was heavy, I just kept telling myself its only a 5 mile run, I do this every thursday. Every time someone came from the other direction I hoped it wasn't him and I didn't see him until very close to the turn around. I was suprised to see the turn around when I did. I was looking for the tape across the path as described pre-race but it was only a cone on the ground. No one to tell you what was happening. They guy infront of me cruised right past it. I tried to pick up my pace again but I don't know if it changed much. Everytime I saw Eric it seemed like I hadn't made up any ground. He had clearly sped up when he saw how much I had caught him. I pushed the rest of the race but couldn't seem to make up much more. He lingered just out of reach all the way through the finish. I finished 30 sec. behind him. We told each other good race and admited we were racign each other. It had never been mentioned before but we train together so of course we wanted to see who coud be faster.

Start faster.. it if I could have. Actually I think this has been my best run leg to date. I was pretty happy with it especially since I had only 2 bricks since June to get ready.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with some water and a Pepsi. Stretched out and chatted with Eric and we eventually cheered Lisa into the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't train for this race as much as I probably should have. I was focused more on the Marathon in October and most weeks I was only getting one bike ride in and maybe 2 swims. The run training certainly helped though.

Last updated: 2008-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:55 | 1056 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 80/435
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Top and Shorts
Course: Two loops around the swimming area at the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:12 | 23.53 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 68/435
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops that climb a hill, go down the side of it, around to the back of it and back up and over the hill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:49 | 05 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 45/435
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course on the park trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 12:03 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course

2008-08-26 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1629062

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course
HA! That's funny that you guys were each trying to whoop the other's butt. Was this that guy that I met at the IMKS training day? Nice job HTFUing. Dunno what's up with that swim but from the sounds of Lisa's RR maybe it was just a bad swim day for everybody? Regardless, great race as usual and run hard until October!
2008-08-27 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1629062

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course
You did awesome out there! I still wonder why you got so queasy.
It was nice seeing you in your race getup again

And you forgot to mention that you won a Rudy Project helmet at the awards ceremony (that matches mine)!

Yaaay!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed