General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suncoast Trail - BEWARE!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-26 5:39 PM

Clearwater, FL
Subject: Suncoast Trail - BEWARE!!!

Rode the Suncoast this past Saturday and was hanging out at my LBS afterward and a cop called there saying that there had been 2 break ins that day at the parking lot there at 54 and the trail.  Afterwards the employees there had said that break ins there were a weekly (mostly weekend) occurence. 

So for those of you who frequent this area beware!!!  Lock up all your stuff and/or keep your valuables out of site!

2008-08-26 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1630286

Extreme Veteran
earth
Subject: RE: Suncoast Trail - BEWARE!!!

Thanks for the FYI. I'll pass it on to the local peeps.

jerks!  I'd put a note right on my window "GET THE F*** AWAY FROM MY CAR" 

2008-08-27 12:37 AM

User image

Expert
Trinity, Florida
It stinks to think it happens but as a "cop" I can tell you anywhere there are cars and the possibility the owners will be away for a while criminals strike. As stated above make yourself less of a target by not leaving your goods for all to see that includes the GPS on the front window and the wallet sticking out from under the armrest. Best of all are those who leave the doors unlocked. I deal with it all the time where Point of Entry is the unlocked door. The "it won't happen to me" mentality.

In cases such as the lot at SR54 and the trail everyone should be vigilant and watch the vehicles when they are in the lot loading or unloading bikes.
2008-09-01 6:28 PM

User image

Lutz, FL
This type of stuff also happens at the Lutz Lake Fern trail head.  People have had bikes stolen from their locked rack while out jogging (doing a bike/run brick).  These incidents have certainly increased my suspicion of anyone just sitting in a parked car in these lots.

Anyway, thanks for bringing to our attention.  The more of us who are aware the better.

2008-09-03 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Trinity, Florida
Keep in mind if something doesn't look right (person sitting for long periods of time in their vehicle) then call the Sheriff's Office or whatever the local law enforcement agency is for your area. I would rather come out and find out it's a tired runner than a suspicious person with a burglary history. Well actually I would like it to be a person with a warrant for burglary and then I could arrest him and make my monthly quota of arrests. (this month is 10) ((No, not really))

Bottom line is if you see something that doesn't seem right make the call.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suncoast Trail - BEWARE!!! Rss Feed