United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 10s
Overall Rank = 88/236
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/47
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am, had some PB toast and a banana. As I was driving over to Luray, the full moon was still up on one side of the car and to the left/rear, I could see the sun coming up. Very cool. Arrived at the site with tons of time to do packet pickup, get body marked, etc, etc. My goals for this race was to do well on the swim - calm and swimming my race, and improve my transition times.
Event warmup:

Set up my transition site and meandered over to the lake to plan my sighting strategy. Hit the porta potties, got my wetsuit on and headed down to the beach area. Waded in and did my warm-up thing. Back up on the beach until my wave went off. Last wave of the race. I don't like starting last.
Swim
  • 15m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Most of the women in my wave were fighting over being in the back at the start. I was feeling incredibly calm, so I said "What the hell" I started in the middle front of the pack. The gun went off and from the start I felt comfortable and relaxed. I quickly settled in my groove and picked up the bouys for sighting. Found a couple of feet to draft off of, but ended up passing them. Rounded the first buoy easily and headed into the long stretch. Didn't find anyone to draft off of here, but just kept doing my thing. I was really pleased at how in tune mentally I was at this point. Sighting was the best I've ever done. Everything felt just right. Rounded the last turn and brought it in home. I had to do a double take when I looked at my watch coming out of the water. 15 mins and change??? Sweet!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing! Keep improving my stroke and time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

It was a long run from the beach, up the stairs and into transition. Had my wetsuit stripped and most of the way off by the time I got to my bike. Just got the darn thing caught on my heel. Once the suit was off, I was like lightning moving through the rest of transition. Mental practice played a big, big part in this.

Not much. More body glide on the heels.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 57s
  • 17.4 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

From the get go, my legs felt dead. I seriously considered getting off my bike at one point to see if my back brakes were dragging. (They needed adjustment after my trip to GA) The course was rolling to hilly for the majority of the race and my legs were not cooperating. I've climbed a lot harder hills here in NOVA riding with the BT crew and not dragged arse like this. The end of the course was two pretty tough hills. I passed 8 men on the last hill. That felt pretty good considering how crappy I thought I was doing.

Get more sleep the night before... should've performed better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Legs felt like jelly getting off the bike. I did manage to run through transitions with my bike. Racked without problems and got my shoes and race belt on pretty fast. Headed out with my legs still feeling like jelly.

Need to get stretchy laces on my shoes, yankz or something.
Run
  • 29m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

After struggling on the bike and that last hill, I knew going into the run not to expect great things. A definite disappointment. The course was rolling hills for the entire stretch, some portions shaded and some in full sun. I was definitely feeling the burn on a couple of those uphills. Slowed my pace up accordingly and was able to sprint it out the last 1/4 mile to the finish. Got another shout out from the announcer dude on a strong finish. Made me smile.

I haven't done any significant hill training lately. Probably limited me a little.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the picnic areas to get some food. Grabbed a 1/2 banana, water and a PB&J sandwich. You know... I really appreciate the folks who make the PB & J and PB & honey sandwiches. I love those! I always think about the people spending their time making them. Can you imagine making a 100 PB&J sandwiches? Found a bench, ate my goods and cooled off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, stress, lack of hill training on the run.

Event comments:

My goals coming into the race were: 1. Have another good OWS experience to set me up for a good showing at Patriot's. 2. Move through both transitions on auto-pilot and improve times. GOALS ACCOMPLISHED! My best swim time and transition time yet. I couldn't be more excited about my swim this time around.

Set-up, as usual, does a great job at organization, support and after race goodies. My only complaint today was that due to being in the last starting wave and hence towards the rear of the finishers... all of the aid stations were out of Gatorade/HammerHeed. They only offered water. Not much to complain about on a sprint though. One of the most beautiful courses I've been on and will definitely consider this one again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:14 | 820 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/47
Overall: 0/236
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Zoot
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:57 | 17.4 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/47
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Paved roads through the farms and foothills of the Shennandoah Valley. Beautiful
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/47
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Luray Sprint Triathlon
Took me long enought to get this written, but here it is.  :)

Edited by jlough 2008-08-26 6:57 PM

2008-08-26 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1630399

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Luray Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on a great race and meeting the goals you set for it
2008-08-27 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Great job on this race Jan! Love to see you set and achieve your goals. Can I clone you?

2008-08-27 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Yeah Jan!

Great job! Very nice swim and good job in transitions. The bike and run course are definitely pretty tough but it looks like you handled them just fine.

Next year you will have to do the International distance!

2008-08-27 2:30 PM

Great job, Jan!
2008-08-27 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Jan,

Great race and report.  I like how you set goals for the race and stuck to your race plan.  That's a good swim and transition time.   Awesome pictures especially the last picture with the big smile.  Congrats!

Ernie

Z
2008-08-28 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
good performance of a tough course!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}