Koz Enterprises
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m
Overall Rank = 85/519
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

Decided at the last minute to do this race. It is a tuneup for Carpinteria and Gatorman and so I was planning on training right through it.

Got up at 4:00AM and had a quick breakfast and a cup of coffee. It was a long drive down to IB but this early in the morning, it went pretty quickly. I had all of my gear packed up and ready and so it took just a minute to toss everything in the van and go.
Event warmup:

Got to Transition right about 6:00AM and got a great parking spot just a block from Transition. As it turns out, this race has gotten way more popular and I had to take a rack in the overflow area.

Did a quick spin around the block on the bike and then took a good warmup run. I headed down to the beach for the pre-race briefing but still had quite a bit of time to wait since I was in Wave 7. I walked down to the pier to use the Loo and avoided the very long porto lines.

Got back to the swim start and did a quick swim. Water was very warm but a bit choppy with a moderate current. Watching some of the other waves it seems like folks where really struggling with the incoming surf.
Swim
  • 09m 57s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

The Gun goes off and we sprint into the water and I think we got lucky with the surf. I was able to get into the water and start swimming and never did encounter any breaking waves. Felt very comfortable.

I was able to find someone to draft off of all the way to the first bouy and then we started to encounter some of the folks from the previous wave, many with their swim buddies.

As we rounded the bouy, I could feel the current ripping through and just tried my best to stay on top of the water as much as possible. Without a wetsuit, this means focusing on my kick and keeping my head down.

I continued to pass folks all the way around the other bouy and back to the beach. then we get out of the water and start the very long run through the sand. I run in sand quite a bit and tons of folks quickly fatigued and I ran right passed them as they slowed and/or stopped to catch their breath.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe Wear a Wetsuit.

I decided not to wear one since my race in the beginning of September is a No Wetsuit Affair and I wanted to get some extra competition time without the neoprene.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Long Transition run to my spot but my rack was just a few yards away from the mount line so I just ran in my shoes and mounted. (No Flying Mount)

I ran the whole way through but focused on keeping things reasonable and smooth.

Nothing
Bike
  • 24m 58s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 22.40 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my first race with the new bike and shaking out the bike was the primary reason for doing this tuneup. Right out of transition I started to pass folks. This is Non-USAT sanctioned race and did focus on keeping right except to pass but there were times when I was passing large groups of riders.

When we got to the Airport, I tried to push the pace just a bit and find a good pace that I could settle into. I did the race naked and did just did it all on RPE. About half way around, I settled in with a few speedsters and played tag for a while before I decided I had some extra juice to drop everyone.

As we wound our way around for the second lap of the airport, I glanced back and noticed that one of the fasties was sitting right on my wheel. (He was clearly drafting) I picked up the pace a bit and he matched my pace. Then I came up on some slower traffic and accelerated to pass and ended up dropping him.

As I finished up the second lap, I encountered a whole string of riders and tried to be as polite as possible. (Always saying thank you when folks would make room for me)

Then we were around the second lap and on our way back through town to the transition and before I knew it, I could see the mount line. I glanced at my watch and realized that I had turned a pretty good bike split.

Nothing really. I am 2+ MPH faster on the new bike right off the rack on training wheels. More time on the bike will build up the muscles to be able to really crank on it. Race wheels will also help some I think.

I may be getting a set of Zipp 404s for Carp next month but not decided on it yet. I think I can get a really good deal on race wheel rental through the club.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Flying dismount and a very short trek back to my rack. But I had a very long run winding through the transition area and out for the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Right out of transition I found a pretty strong pace and never really let up. I was consistently passing folks and kept things right at a 7:00 Mile the whole way.

Saw Adan going the other way just before we got onto the base and cheered him on. (His wave was 10 minutes in front of me) I just worked on maintaining even but hard effort and continued to drop people. At the turn around, I was feeling pretty good for this point of a 5k and just wanted to keep it together.

At the 2 mile mark, I had reached a point where I was pacing behind a woman and had a tough time finding the extra gear to pass her so I settled in for a while behind her.

I am certain that she was not happy about this. I was really panting at this point and she knew I was stalking her. (She turned around and gave me sinkeye several times)

Then we turned the corner and I could see the finish line and found that extra bit of speed to pass her. I could see one other runner going about my speed up ahead and I focused on catching him. Just before the finish I was right behind him and I decided to back off and not pass him right at the finish. (This is a tuneup after all)

As we crossed the line, I did notice he was in my AG. (Oh Well) (

Nothing. My race time is only a few seconds slower then my 5k PB time. Yeah, I know my open 5k time is soft, but I really hate running those darn things.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and chatted with Adan from the Tri Club. Sounded like he had a great race too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No Wetsuit would probably have helped make the swim faster. Also more time adapting to the new bike. For comparison, I did this race 2 years ago and it seems like every leg was faster:

Swim was 6 seconds faster this year (Yea, I had a bad swim then too)
Bike was 4:27 Faster this year
Run was 2:34 Faster this year.
Overall race time as 7:07 Faster this year

I placed 152 last time and 85 this year. Overall, I am tickled with the results and think this is an excellent tuneup race. I am still a bit dissapointed in the swim but I am still undecided about Gatorman.

I spent the whole race passing folks and don't think I was passed at all at least out on the course. Like all of the last few races I have done, finishing with a strong run was the most rewarding way to go.

My legs were really fresh off the bike and I am certain that it is because of the bike's geometry. Only my calves were a bit tight going into the run 3 miles were not enough for them to loosen up.

Event comments:

This is a great race for beginners owing to the lack of USAT Sanctioning. (They allow Swim buddies) It is also a great tuneup race owing to the timing and also because the results don't count :)

Last updated: 2008-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:57 | 547 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 133/519
Performance: Below average
Suit: No Wetsuit
Course: Beach Run Start out to a bouy just outside of the surfline and then down the beach about 200 yards and then back into the beach with a fairly long run back up the beach and across the street to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:58 | 9.32 miles | 22.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 59/519
Wind:
Course: Very flat trip out to teh Airfield and then 2 laps around the perimeter and then back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:57 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/30
Overall: 84/519
Course: Quick out and back along the last few miles of the Silver Strand Half Marathon. Having done Silver Strand and also this Tri several times before, I am very familiar with the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-27 12:02 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Imperial Beach Triathlon

2008-08-27 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1631302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
Subject: RE: Imperial Beach Triathlon

Great race! Looks like the new bike worked great.

I finished 17/59 in my age group at 1:04:26. I had a blast and PRed my 5k time.

2008-08-27 12:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-27 2:52 PM

Master
Long Beach, CA
Tim, you did a great job especially considering this was a tune-up race. I also love the fact that you were so nice to people when passing. Most riders are, but as a "frequently passed" person I can tell you that there are rude people out there. Thank you for being you and for being considerate of slower riders. YOU ROCK!
2008-08-27 5:08 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Well done! You race the sprints as well as you do the longer stuff- you rock
2008-08-28 12:19 AM

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
You can go fast too, not just long! Great job.

2008-08-28 5:13 PM

Master
Chicago

GREAT RACE BUDDY!!

Especially for just a "tune up"...like you wrote in my rr, you improved siginificantly throughout, so that is a huge accomplishment!  I bet that bike was pretty sweet...it sure looked like it from the pics!

Can't wait to read your other race reports!!
ROCK ON BUDDY!!

2008-08-29 7:10 PM

Champion
MA
Great improvement..seems like the new bike is agreeing with you
2008-08-30 4:17 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin