General Discussion Race Reports! » Western States Police and Fireman Olympics Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Western States Police and Fireman Olympics - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boise, Idaho
United States
Western States Police and Fireman Games
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m
Overall Rank = 15/31
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Spent a sleepless at GF house.
Stopped for gas and BIG coffee before driving 25 min. to race start. Ate a Odewalla bar and sipped on Heed/Perp mix. Had been taking electrolytes for x2 days.
Event warmup:

I actually warmed up. Rod ebike around a bit before setting up T1. Did some light jogging and some accelerations to get heart rate up. Stretched lower back out well. Didn;t feel sick nervouse, just anxious to improve over my last race. Was actually FIRST one into water to start warm-ups. Didn't want to swim too much, but I did have to calm my nerves. Did a few sprints and tried to think 'happy thoughts'.
Swim
  • 27m 46s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I SWAM the entire leg. No backstroke/no 02 debt, I was still really slow, but I wasn't last-and I actually get to pass someone towards the end. The second half was so much fun because i KNEW I was doing sooo much better than before.
What would you do differently?:

I have all winter to get faster. And i shall
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Chip Timing was iffy-so no T1 time but it wasn't bad. Had a HELL of a time getting clipped into my shoes at the start. Had to stop and dap a foot to get situated. However the worst problem was several minutes away...

I hope to race some cyclecross this fall-I need work on my flying mounts.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 14s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Landscapers had aerated the soil causing millions of 'plugs' of dirt laying on the wet ground. During T1, Several of these found their way into my front fork crown-I discovered this about 300 yrds into the bike leg when the bike was noticiably dragging on a downhill. I knew I couldn't/shouldn't put my hand through the FRONT of the fork (lest my whole hand get sucked into the wheel), but I thought I could ease my fingers through the BACK of the fork. GREAT idea until my right middle finger made contact with the tire and tore away a sizeable hunk of flesh. After much cursing, I was forced to stop along the road, spray the area with my water bottle and use an allen wrench to free the mud. That all cost me precious time. I was really psyched about my swim and wanted to push the bike a bit harder than normal.

Ride More in training. My mixture of Heed/Perp on the bike was a bit too strong and my gut was getting upset. Need to water this down a bit more if I'm going to continue to use a gel every 35-40 min.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Tried to get feet out of shoes before T2-this worked, but when i ran with the bike my shoes kept slapping the ground and my shoe strap got stuck in the chain.

Seemed like i took FOREVER to get my shoes/socks on and tied.

Nothin-I felt like I was faster with feet on top of shoes. I have plans for a cheap pair of tri-shoes next season, so maybe i can do better. Also, running shoes have orthotics in them and they slipped out of place, so I had to sit down and fix them before tying my shoes.
Run
  • 51m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Guts were still upset from the Heed/perp mix on the bike. I knew I had to keep drinking to hydrate and dilute the stuff in the stomach. It was warm, but not so hot that dehydration was a concern. Forget (again) to stretch in T2, but did stop for a second during first 1/2 mile and stretched quads/hammies.

Run went well. Stayed loose. I need new shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty good about the race, so i was pretty eleated. chatted with other racers and drank some water/gatoraid

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training miles on the bike and I need more speedwork on the run.

Event comments:

After i saw my swim time-everything else was icing on the cake. I wanted to improve from my time 2 weeks ago and i did. By a whopping 38 minutes. I have every intention of doing triathlons on a regular basis.

Last updated: 2008-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:46 | 1500 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/31
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Very similar to Emmett's, except it was more of a pure out and back vs. the rectangular course at Emmett; this accounted for the slightly shorter distance. Slight upstream for first half/downstream for last half. Water was very calm, temp was perfect.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:14:14 | 24.8 miles | 20.04 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a pure out and back past Sweet, Idaho. Typical chip-sealed roads, but little traffic. Plenty of hills and little rollers. Considerable wind on the return leg.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:51:39 | 06.2 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Course: Out and back. First/last mile on pavement, the rest was an irrigation canal. Pretty rocky, footing was kinda tricky at times. Gained a fair bit of elevation going out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-27 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: Western States Police and Fireman Olympics

2008-08-27 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1631303

Expert
Subject: RE: Western States Police and Fireman Olympics
Jeff what an improvement. Good swim and fast bike and real fast run. This tri stuff agrees with you I can see.

Keep your fingers out of the spokes and you'll do GREAT ;-)

Congratulations. Impressive!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Western States Police and Fireman Olympics Rss Feed