United States
Runner's Edge
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 11s
Overall Rank = 758/1165
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/49
Pre-race routine:

I vowed not to complain that I wasn't prepared, because I was, and it made a HUGE impact on my confidence.

The night before I practiced visualization - I pictured myself in every stage of the race, remaining calm and being successful.

I ate my breakfast sandwich in the car with 1/2 diet snapple. I brought add'l snacks but didn't eat them.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 24m 6s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

A wetsuit makes all the difference! The start is crowded and I fell like I got stuck a few times between people and had to navigate out. Also, I missed the swim race briefing so had no idea what to do on the swim back as people were passing buoys on the left AND right. Once I got into a rhythm though I felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Listen to the race briefing and PRACTICE BILATERAL BREATHING!!!! I think I said the same thing last year...:)
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

This was my first use of my wetsuit and I did get a bit stuck. I was very unorganized with T1. I forgot to put on my run number and just left it in the transition area - thank god it wasn't windy! There's also LOTS of space to set up an area so next year I can spread out more. My bike was racked WAY in the back - I ran right past it.

Bring an extra towel to wipe my face! Also, clip run number on FIRST, then helmet, then unrack bike.
Bike
  • 39m 34s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 14.10 mile/hr
Comments:

It seems like the bike is the worst event for me. This course is particularly tough. I followed the advice Jose Lopez had given me on a high cadence for hills and I think that saved me a bit for the run. I'd really like to improve on my bike performance.

Ride the course more than once before the race. This year I had some issues (crash, poison ivy) that impeded my schedule, but it's important to ride that course at least 2, preferably 3 times before the race so I can be mentally prepared.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I was so happy that my race number didn;t blow away that I could've cried. I always feel like I should do T2 so much faster...in my defense though, the in and out are SO FAR that most of it is travel time to my transition set-up and back out.

Have my race number clipped on when I go out for the bike
Run
  • 29m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was better prepared this year than last for this run becuase I kind of knew what to expect. It was still pretty tough though - the last bit is SO STEEP but you get to see the other people running down and I just kept reminding myself that soon that would be me. And my performance on the bike defnintely made the run more manageable - it's a tough 5K even if you didn't just swim and bike right before! And all of the hill training I did paid off.

Run it at least once before the race - right now it's fresh in my head but by next year, I'll forget! Keep doing the Fort Salonga bike loop(s) followed by the run up to the toll booths. That was definitely helpful.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got out of the sun, ate a PBJ sandwich in the car on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to lose weight next year for the season. I really think that holds me back. Just 5 pounds on my frame would make a hige difference.

Event comments:

I'll be back next year!

Last updated: 2008-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:06 | 1000 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/49
Overall: 488/1165
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: out and back
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:34 | 9.3 miles | 14.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/49
Overall: 906/1165
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: SUPER hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:21 | 03.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/49
Overall: 833/1165
Performance: Good
Course: gradual uphill to very steep uphill for the first half, then all downhill for second half
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes