2005-02-14 5:24 PM
in reply to: #117153

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Roller question
fraggle - 2005-02-14 4:20 PM

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I gotta ask:

Thinking of physics, when you are on the rollers and you fall off or steer off, or whatever...

My impression is that you will not go ripping off down the carpet or into the television.  After all, you are 50 kilos or more of NON-moving mass (sitting still on rollers) so even if the wheels hit the carpet, linoleum, or concrete, they'll likely screech and convert whatever rotational energy exists into heat long before any forward motion could be generated.  (This assumes that pedalling stops at this point.)

Now, let me admit that I don't have rollers, but thinking about this from a purely theoretical standpoint, I just can't jibe the physics with the idea of someone ripping off down the living room carpet from a motionless position.

Opinions?

I don't have any opinions.....just experience.  OUCH.

Let's just say, my elbow lodged in the doorframe stopped much forward progress however.

2005-02-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: #115958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
I haven't fallen forward on the rollers, just off the side a couple times. No more than a banged elbow so far.

I seem to remember in another roller thread about someone actually flying forward on their rollers and dying. Not sure if that is just an urban legend or not.
2005-02-14 7:07 PM
in reply to: #115958

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I was wondering the same thing myself. Every time I stop pedaling, the wheels stop turning (gotta love that resistance unit on the back). The worst that has ever happened to me is I get bruised by the doorframe. I can't imagine rocketing off the front of the thing and careening into the living room.

But as mentioned before, I am a terrible biker so I am never really going fast. And yes, middle ring. Is it called something else? I have three on the back of my bike because I actually used to live somewhere with lots of hills and needed it. And I can't ride worth a darn either. I don't think I will ever get a bike without a granny gear...never ever...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Roller question Rss Feed  

of 2