of 2

2008-08-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1639280

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: II see white people...
asaling - 2008-08-30 10:58 AM

I should have added the fact that I waited a year before I "upgraded" from a inexpensive" mtn.bike ($135 new) to my"entry level" bike. But that was my choice not necessity. I haven't seen too many kids over the age of 10, riding around on cheeper bikes than that.

My point was simply, one doen't have to use "new or state of the art" equipment to participate or have fun participating in a sport.

How-about this ... Triathlon for the "furgle" (1) old bike - $30 from garage sale, (1) swim trunks $20 - K-mart, (1) pair PF flyers ??? $30... Upgrades optional. Actually a game of "pick up triathlon" is real easy to do and it can be played alone. And please don't get me going on those silly video game what-cha-ma-call-its, that suck all the brain matter out of peoples heads. (honestly I think they were created as testing devices by Martians)

Unfortunately, I know exactly what I'm thinking and mean when I typing but all the words don't make it to the screen...Sorry. LOL

I'm not disagreeing with you that people CAN participate in tri on the cheap, just that the economics tends to discourage it.  And the niche market of tri, and the lack of role models that kids actually know, all play into it.  The same thing is seen with bicycle racing, a slightly less niche market.  If the next winner of TdF was an african american kid, I think we'd see more african american kids riding bikes, in the same way the Tiger affected golf.

That sort of raises an interesting side thread, as to mentoring of younger kids to encourage them to tri. I'll start a new discussion thread.

2008-08-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1639043

User image

Expert
Decatur

I think it's a whole host of things. From non-exposure, monies, cultural, straight down to the swimming.

I'm black and while my friends and family have much respect for what I do and what I'm trying to do, only a few handful of them are active. So, when I say swim, bike and run 3 miles they are like "what the hell" if they aren't active. But my mom, uncle and aunts who are all active thought it was the coolest thing ever and want to do one with me.

I think it's a variety of things. But trust, I did notice how many black folks were around at my first tri. I was pretty impressed, but I'm also in atl so there....

Could it be more? yes. But I DO believe a large part of it is exposure and the "being active" part. Not so much money. A lot of us just aren't as active and into our health as we should be and like the other cultures. And if we are just getting into it a triathlon sounds just crazy! Oh, and black folks have money - even when they are broke they have money. We sometimes spend it on what we want instead of what we need. Trust, if they wanted to participate and get the nice stuff, they'd make a way and be patient with it. Most do for everything else. It's a choice.

But I've always been the black chic who hung around every cultural circle. Hell, my high school alone had 66 countries in it. So I'm used to being around lots of different people and doing totally differet things from my peers.

2008-08-30 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Does it really matter?  Honestly, I wonder how many black people sit around pondering why there aren't more whites/asians/hispanics/[insert your ethnicity here] playing basketball.  I figure whoever shows up to race, shows up.  I didn't know any triathletes before I got into the sport, and I honestly barely even look at who else is participating other than noticing when I get passed.  I do pay attention when I see some really nice bikes in the transition area, though.
2008-08-31 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1639457

User image

Maryland
x2 . . . I don't think it matters, but it is (at least to me) interesting to see so few blacks at tri events. Even in areas/locales with plenty of blacks making in excess of the 'avg.' annual salary. Most of my friends (regardless of race) have no interest in the sport. As one friend put it, 'I make enough money to do everything I really enjoy doing." It seems that people opt to spend their disposable income and free time doing other things because they can, and because they really enjoy doing those things more. IMO, it really doesn't have anything to do with fitness or money. My mountain climbing friend (a white guy, spine surgeon) refuses to do a tri with me. He hates swimming and hates running even more (even though he attended college on a track scholarship as a high jumper). I think the financial 'expalnation' is very interesting and amusing. . . . I don't think there are droves of sub-$140k white, Asian or any other demographic participating in tris. It's like any other sport with high entry costs and a very small market following. The sport doesn't provide many college scholarship opportunities and certainly doesn't lead to much in the way of 'generational' wealth (or dreams of such) (for the super-successful, genetically blessed few) or educational opportunities like a number of the other major sports we have in the US.

Like SevenZulu, I didn't know a single triathlete before I started training about a year ago. That, despite working in a major, international city and being very active athletically. I happily meet new triathletes at each event (all races, shapes and sizes). It is, as a rule IMO, a very educated, middle to upper-middle class bunch of 'smaller'/'light-weight'-bodied people, regardless of race.

To me, it is much weirder (i.e., glances/stares/questions) to race as a Clyde, than it is to race as a black man.

I am completely hooked on the sport, however! I now have the inconsistent golf game to prove it!

Happy racing/training!

-TJ
2008-08-31 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1639189

User image

Expert
Daremo - 2008-08-30 7:24 AM

I have pondered that at some points in my tri experience as well.  But lately I have been seeing more and more ethnically diverse fields at the events I participate in.  We even have one of the more "celebrity" African-American participants here with Mayor Fenty from D.C.  And he does not just do them for exposure, he is pretty competitive in his AG and does all the way up to HIM distance.

WOW!!! What a change....Going from crack smokin' Marion Berry to a triathlete....D.C voters got it right this time....
2008-08-31 3:03 PM

User image

Giver

This might explain it...

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/27-marathons/

2008-08-31 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1640475

User image

Maryland
Rad-Onc PA - 2008-08-31 3:55 PM

Daremo - 2008-08-30 7:24 AM

I have pondered that at some points in my tri experience as well.  But lately I have been seeing more and more ethnically diverse fields at the events I participate in.  We even have one of the more "celebrity" African-American participants here with Mayor Fenty from D.C.  And he does not just do them for exposure, he is pretty competitive in his AG and does all the way up to HIM distance.

WOW!!! What a change....Going from crack smokin' Marion Berry to a triathlete....D.C voters got it right this time....

x1000 That's hilarious! And correct!
2008-08-31 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
2008-08-31 8:03 PM

westford

Race does not matter when it comes to doing a tri.  Sweat all looks the same and heart rates have no color bias! Good for you for following your heart and reaching for the stars. Cheers from New England!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » II see white people... Rss Feed  

of 2