General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One week to first OLY - Advice needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-30 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange County
Subject: One week to first OLY - Advice needed
I need advice for my last week of training before my first Oly. This past week I have felt very worn down. I don't know exactly why. Maybe it's just a cumulative effect of the training I have been doing, I just don't know. I skipped my long ride this morning and depending on how I feel tomorrow, I might skip my long swim and run.I am not just tired, but feel really worn down.

How should I handle my last week of tapering if I skip these last workouts this weekend? Should I change the tapering schedule to increase my cycling on Tuesday and increase my run on Wednesday and then resume the taper for the rest of the week?

2008-08-30 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1639299

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: One week to first OLY - Advice needed
I'd just kick back and relax. If youre feeling overtrained now, pushing at all during the last week might not be a good idea. Youre not going to lose anything with taking it easy. Relax a bit, you know?
2008-08-30 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
New York
And also, if you've trained consistently, skipping a workout here or there a few weeks before your race will not really affect how you do--however, not feeling well and pushing yourself too hard will. You might be a little burned out, which is fine. Another poster on this site recommended going out for a "fun" ride or run, not training, but going with someone and just enjoying the scenery and being outside. Maybe still do the session, but make it shorter. You might need to give your head a rest.

I would not add any long workouts to your taper. They won't do you any good at that point anyway. I love training hard, but I also believe being rested and having a general sense of well-being are just as vital as training hours.

Edited by swishyskirt 2008-08-30 10:48 AM
2008-08-30 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
You don't really gain any fitness that last week before a race, regardless of how big the race is.  If you skip those workouts, just resume with your taper plan as is. Eat healthy, drink water, and sleep well.  If you want to add anything to your taper week, do some transition practices.  Have a great race!
2008-08-30 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I vote for get some good rest this week.  Its probab;y some cummulative fatigue ad the rest will help you more in teh race than feeling more worn down...do  ome short easy stuff....1000 yard swim or a 20 minute bike or something
2008-08-30 10:53 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Thanks for your post O.P.--and to all you who have responded.  I'm also a week out from my first oly and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.  Glad I have followed the training plan pretty close but also glad it's almost over. 

Rest, good nutrition, some short bricks to practice transitions and short fast work to get race pace patterned in the muscles....yep, a good plan.

2008-08-30 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Rest, refuel and hydrate.
You won't gain any fitness in the week prior to the race, but you can sure tire yourself out, especially if you're feeling tired.
Tapering makes me feel tired, but it sounds like your fatigue is just from training hard before the race.
Relax, rest is ok. Better to be well rested than the slightest bit overtrained.
2008-08-30 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1639864

User image

Maryland
fgray - 2008-08-30 9:56 PM

Rest, refuel and hydrate.
You won't gain any fitness in the week prior to the race, but you can sure tire yourself out, especially if you're feeling tired.
Tapering makes me feel tired, but it sounds like your fatigue is just from training hard before the race.
Relax, rest is ok. Better to be well rested than the slightest bit overtrained.

x2 . . . I just completed my first Oly (Chicago/Accenture) and I think that the extra rest and paying better attention to my diet/hydration over the last weeks made a huge difference. I trained through a couple of sprints and couldn't believe the difference in doing a race after taking some ACTUAL rest days (i.e., doing next to nothing). It feels weird, but your body will really appreciate it.

You probably won't make appreciable gains during the last week. You've done the training and though it's hard to accept, the real gains are made over the 'break' periods and when you give your body a chance to recover.

Good luck with the race. You'll do great!

Happy racing!

-TJ
2008-08-31 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC

For what it's worth, I too just did Chicago and it was my first olympic.  Here is my taper week.  I felt great throughout the race.  I also think I did the nutrition right during the race.  My brother trained about the same amount and bonked at mile 2 of the run, we think because he drank a bottle of water and nothing else (don't ask me why but he provides us with a convenient "control arm" for evaluation purposes).

My taper week was Sun= 90 min ride, Mon= 45 min run, Tue= off, Wed= 30 min swim, Thur= 45 min ride, Fri= off, Sat= off, Sun= race.

Intake during race: Half bottle of Gatorade hanging around before the race, 1 shot blox immediately before the swim, 3 shot blox and 2 bike bottles of gatorade during the bike, and some Gatorade periodically during the run through mile 3.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One week to first OLY - Advice needed Rss Feed