Final Stretch
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 40s
Overall Rank = 285/530
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 42/60
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, did some yoga to try to stretch things out. Ate a couple bananas and powerbars, and drank a bunch of water. Loaded everything in the car, and drove over to the park. Gorgeous morning!
Event warmup:

Setup transition, walked and stretched, jogged a very short distance to test the knee (seemed ok). Was a little concerned, since everyone was putting on wetsuits, so I walked down to the water. It was perfect temp! Wetsuits would have been too warm.
Swim
  • 10m 32s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Murky water, with lots of weeds growing (could whack them with your hands as you swam by). There was enough of a current to push the buoys, so when i was rounding the first one, my left foot kicked the tether and I thought "ouch!" The second half of the swim was a real chore, getting run into, running into people, and just plain flailing about.... I need to do much better, it's like I forget everything.....
What would you do differently?:

Do everything I should, instead of swimming like I'm having a seizure.... Oh, and the "ouch"? Yeah, sliced my little toe open, but I didn't notice (yet)
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I'm fat, and should have brought my not as tight jersey....

How the heck to do you put a snug jersey on when you are soaking wet? Need to figure that out, since I fought with that way too long.
Bike
  • 34m 48s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.24 mile/hr
Comments:

First thing out is up a hill, not terrible tho. Then get into rolling up and down a little bit to get out of town. Once out, it was like riding in a state park, lots of trees, curvy road, hills up and down... Well, there is one hill, smallest ring, lowest gear for over a mile. I got to the top and thought "I got nothing left".... Of course, kept going, I managed to pass some people, got passed by the fast people (big surprise). Then we got to go back DOWN this twisty, curvy, steep road. Holy crap! 38mph!? I was dicing with this guy in front of me, but I opted for discretion and didn't try to pass there, it could have been bad.

I did a good job drinking water, but should have had more, and step up the pace!
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Much frickin better! Of course, rack and chuck the hat, and get moving! I did make sure I wasn't parked on someone else's stuff this time. :)

Nothing, except go even faster
Run
  • 38m 4s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slow, not sure about the knee. Got into a groove, so stepped it up, long rolling incline shot my HR way up, 170+, so walked for about 30 seconds to get that back down, then got back into my groove. Was doing well til just past 2 miles, left calf tightened completely, and knee started sending stabbing, shooting pains. This sucked, thought I might be able to run thru it, but it was getting worse. Stopped to walk again for about 30s, stretch things out. After that, I got back into a slower groove for most the remaining distance, trying to open up the last mile. Finished strong. Why is it when I'm getting to the finish there is never anyone in front of me to try to run down, but there are always people behind me running me down?!?!?!? Damn it.... Oh, and the "ouch"? When I got back to transition, and looked down, my left shoe is all red on one side! I think wtf... take shoe of, and sock is soaked in blood. Cleaned it best I could.

Run without pain!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked alot, looked for masseuse, (there was none), stretched a ton, ate some bananas/powerbars, drank alot of water and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and true preparation.

Event comments:

Luau after, was good. I now understand why racing alone is less fun than if you know someone. I walked around and chatted briefly with people, but felt a bit like an outsider. Oh well. It was a gorgeous day, and great race, and a good time!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:32 | 586 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/530
Performance: Average
Suit: trisuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:27
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:48 | 10 miles | 17.24 mile/hr
Performance: Good
HR 158-170
Wind:
Course: Hilly, some nasty bumps in town, new blacktop out in the country, so smooth!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:04 | 04 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Performance: Average
HR150-170
Course: Nice out and back with some hills (stoopid hills)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-31 7:23 AM

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Subject: St Croix Valley Triathlon

2008-08-31 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1640076

User image

Appleton, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: St Croix Valley Triathlon
Ouch!  Who knew there'd be water hazards??  I think wetsuits are more for buoyancy than warmth- I can tell a difference when I wear mine.  Makes swimming easier.  Ditto on racing with someone you know.  Maybe we need to get people in kayaks to bonk us for our next OWS!  Nice pictures- nice digs too!  Glad you made it and did it.
2008-09-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1640076

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: St Croix Valley Triathlon
Awesome job there on your 2nd tri!!!  Freaky that you sliced your foot in the water!!!  Yikes!!! But you pushed on and did a great job!!! 2 under your belt now! WOOT! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St Croix Valley Triathlon Rss Feed