General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guelph, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada & Subaru Triathlon Series
27C / 81F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 1s
Overall Rank = 474/579
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 19/22
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6:00 had oatmeal and water for breakfast. Got all my equipment together vistied the washroom several times. Loaded up my equipment and headed out about 7:30ish. Picked up a Tim Hortons coffee. ( Imake note of it because I don't normally drink coffe and read that the caffine does go=ive no users a boost for a short period of time. Not so much a boost as being able to sustain your energy for longer) Extceptionally long lineup to get into the site. It was a different location than the last time and was taking everyone much longer to get in. The event was delayed about 1/2 hour because of this. Parking was about a km from the race site. Got into the tranistion area and found we were at just about the farthest corner from the swim exit and the run start. Not bad placement for the bike exit and return.
Event warmup:

Essentially none as I was running late due to the traffic. Must remember to get to the site sooner for the next race.
Swim
  • 19m 52s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

my pace time on the web shows as 2.39/ 100 m.
Got kicked several times from people I was catching. Nothing serious though. There were 6 waves and being in the more generically advanced group I was in the 6th wave.
I was very happy with siting . About every 12 strokes I would take a half stroke and site. I discovered I was drifting to the left so I was able to make the adjustment and focused on pulling to the right. This worked very well. Comfortably tired at the exit. I know I can do better.
What would you do differently?:

train for the event better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The transition time was not shown on the web posting but it would not have been one of my best due to the suit getting stuck on my heels again.

I think I need to practice geting the wet suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 3s
  • 30 kms
  • 26.45 km/hr
Comments:

I have never done this distance in a race before so going out I was just concerned with finishing. Coming back was much faster. (I need a newer bike. Mine is about 25 years old and while a good bike in its day it is just not up to today's bike standards). I used my gearing much better today than in previous races and did not have to dismount at all although I was down to my lowest gear once. My lower back got quite stiff today. I had to sit up several times to ease it up. I took a Gel pack and HEED which sustined me very well over both the bike and the run very well. I think I have found the right energy formula for me for race day.

Train better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Good transition legs very tight

Get to the race earlier and get a better bike racking postion. I was at the end of the rack. Nothing different in the actual transition. I ride with the same shoes as I run in so I only have to rack the bike and drop my helmet.
Run
  • 42m 53s
  • 7 kms
  • 06m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Very tight at the beginning. Loosend up about 2 k in. Tlekd a bit to one fellow on the course before speeding up a bit. I ended up walking sme also. wlak 25 steps run 100 etc for a while until the legs really loosend then was able to run the rest of the way. Had a good last 500k sprint to the finish.

train better and harder. Need to lengthen my stride. Have a ggod pace of about 88 per minute. If I can extend that then I can run a sub 35 inutes easily on this course.
Post race
Warm down:

stood in the mist machine and got cooled off. Wlaked around a bit. Had a complimentary acupuntcute to take care of my lower back. NOt sure if it worked or not as my back tighten up on the drive home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NOt enough trainng over the previous few weeks. Work and family events (daughter's wedding and family visting from Alberta) got in the way.

Event comments:

Although the race was delayed I would still rate this as an excllent race. The only delay was getting there. They delayed the race to make sure everyone who could got to particpate on time. I did not hearing any complaints about the delay. In fact most people seemd Ok with it.
Well run race once again on the Subaru Triathlon Ontario series.

Last updated: 2008-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:52 | 750 meters | 02m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/22
Overall: 375/579
Performance: Average
Suit: yes, naked not allowed :-)
Course: rectangular. Looked about 300 out 150 across and 300 back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:03 | 30 kms | 26.45 km/hr
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 470/579
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Some would call it gently rolling. I think it was slightly more than gently. Had a few tough hills. Although there were no long "steep" sustained hills there were a couple of long climbs that sapped the legs muscles. The road surface while paved change several times from rough to newly paved.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:53 | 07 kms | 06m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 470/579
Course: gently rolling (yes gently) around the Guelph Lake park. Some paved, some trail. Very nice run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-31 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-09-02 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1640080

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance
sounds like you had a great race under a very tight training session.  Congratulations on your longest bike segment!  Things are looking good!!
2008-09-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1640080

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job!!! Enjoyed the race report! One of the things I love about triathlons is how you learn a little more with every race. You're doing awesome!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Guelph Lake II Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed