General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training malaise . . . post-race. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-31 1:59 PM

User image

Maryland
Subject: Training malaise . . . post-race.
Hi.

How, beyond taking a big dose of HTFU tonic, have people overcome the post-race, end-of-season malaise that I've heard about (and am now experiencing)? I completed a race last weekend and am trying to decide whether to end my race season now or blow off the race I have scheduled for the end of September and do another race in late October? I am having a very hard time motivating myself to get going for the up-coming week. I miss being in the water, but can't seem to bring myself to get going full-tilt. I don't really feel 'burned-out' or over-trained, so I think it is totally a mental block issue (i.e., a little laziness).

Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

-TJ

2008-08-31 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1640422

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Training malaise . . . post-race.

This year I made my last race of the season my 'A' race because I didn't want to end my season making half hearted attempts at races that wouldn't be important to me.  I think it worked well because I ended the season on a high.

As for end of season blues, I made sure I kept myself busy and immediately started planning my next season so that I had new goals to aim for.

2008-08-31 2:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member
I have the same problem between the, I can't stop eating and the post race euphoia for actually finishing, i have a difficult time getting back in the saddle. Sometimes you just have to force yourself, and you will be better for it.

Kevin
2008-08-31 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1640480

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Well, I'm focusing on my run and running a 5k in sept. 10k in oct. and half mary in November...Then I'll start doing some indoor tries starting in feb. And then I *may* run a full marathon in May and a HIM in June. So I have PLENTY to keep me busy! And I"m kind of looking forward to the stability of the off season to really focus on improving. So that's how I deal with it! I was really bummed until I got the running plan put together. Feeling better about the off season now!
2008-08-31 4:12 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
I don't really think of it as an "end of the season", I just start scheduling run races and bike rides unitl the Triathlons come back....If I stop or slow down training it would only be hard to get back on track. I am the kind of personality that needs a challenge ahead of me so I try to keep filling the schedule with challenges ahead like 3- 6 months

good luck
2008-08-31 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

Since this is my first season, my off season is full of running and weightlifting.

Purely because a. I suck at running b. to lose weight.

And I'm STILL trying to figure out my next season - that's fun enough.

2008-08-31 4:42 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Have a plan.  Mine is to allow the first week post race to be a slug.  Usually by the second or third day of having "permission" to not exercise, I feel like doing SOMETHING, so I go out, but since it's meant to be an "off week", I plan a slow short work out.  Since there is no pressure, I have found that I do faster times or longer distances feeling better than when I was pushing in training.
2008-08-31 4:44 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
Set some new goals around areas you may want to improve on. Even if you don't race it will add some extra motivation to your off season training.
2008-08-31 5:14 PM

User image

Maryland
Thanks all. I appreciate the insights and advice. Getting the planning together and even looking forward to next year has helped a lot. I will focus on really improving every aspect of my swim and bike portions. The swim is becoming my favorite, but I really enjoy the improvement on the bike as well.

Thanks, again. I'm getting psyched to get back to training (tomorrow, finally) and will take the upcoming races I'm signed up for as they come along.

Happy training and racing!

-TJ
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training malaise . . . post-race. Rss Feed