Australia
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m
Overall Rank = /37000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up feeling super relaxed and calm, possibly the wines I had at dinner last night were a good idea :)
Had an english muffin, jumped in the car and drove down to City Beach. A friend and I got a lift with my dad to the start line back in the city.
Event warmup:

Once we got to the City we did a bit of a 500m jog warm up. I got a shooting pain in my calf and was really quite worried about it. This was just sposed to be a training run didn't want to actually go an injure myself further. we found our starting spot and I did a good stretch adjusted my shoe laces and put my calf out of my mind.

Everyone around me was complaining about how cold it was, I still have horrible memories of last years race which was bucketing rain, howling gale and freezing cold. so it was positively balmy compared to last year, I was quite happy milling around with 37000 other people! I really can't believe how huge this event is getting. Its just awesome to be amongst amazing runners up the front and then the everyday couch potato giving it a go for the first time. I got quite excited about that.

I took my gel 15mins before the gun went off and settled down to enjoy the atmosphere. thinking to myself that I've just got to get through the run with0out an injury and I'll be happy, last years time was 1hr9mins so I did have a deep down hope that I would beat last years time.
Run
  • 1h 07m
  • 12 kms
  • 05m 35s  min/km
Comments:

The gun went off and we didn't move :) its always funny starting, with soo many people it takes a good bit of time to get to the start line, crossed the start line started the watch and away we all went. Dodging ducking and swerving around people.. It gets a bit frustrating avoiding the walkers and prams that start in the wrong spot, But its all part of the city to surf experience dodging odd people the whole way.

I really noticed this year just how many more people were there you normally get to the halfway 6km mark and the crowds thin and you can have a pretty uninterupted run through to the finish, this year it was just congested the entire way.

Right so the actual run, my calf was pinging at the start but I think the great big hill right at the start line helped stretch out wahtever was bothering me as it settled down to a dull ache after the first hill. so from 2k's in it was all right. I settled into a really good pace, my friend was running with me and trying to keep pace he can't get over how steady my pace is. I just don't change speed be it a hill or flat, so he was struggling to keep up on the hills (wow)

I actually felt really good climbing the hills think it must have been the reabold repeats runs. Just ran along dodging people at my own pace chatting away to my friend and before I knew it we'd hit the 6k halfway mark! It just seemed all to easy today apart from the dodgy leg pain.

we found a little extra in the tank and upped the tempo on the last downhill into the finish think the last 2k's were def faster then the rest of the race. My leg was screaming at me on the downhill think I was a bit naughty pushing through it.

stopped the watch over the finish line and was plesantly surprised to see 1.07 2mins faster then last year! More importantly I am really happy with the fact that it just seemed easy, it wasn't long and it was so managable, Its always felt tough before!
What would you do differently?:

run faster! Not have injury interupted training. Start closer to the front,
Post race
Warm down:

stretched and talked up the race tried to find a few people and gave up. Like finding a needle in a haystack with 37000 people. funnily enough I ran into so many people just not the people I was looking for :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of uninterupted training base.

Event comments:

Next year they are going to have a marathon! Perhaps I might give that a go, depending on if I have qualified for the World Long course champs or not. Or might give the 1/2 marathon a go.

I really love this race, yes its a pain in the bum dodging and diving and avoiding people but its awesome to run up St Georges Tce make it to the top of that hill and turn around to see the mass off bobbing heads just a big sea of people!

Last updated: 2008-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:07:00 | 12 kms | 05m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/37000
Performance: Average
Course: Undulating Hilly course. From the City to the Surf (of course :) )
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-31 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: City to Surf

2008-09-01 3:20 AM
in reply to: #1640923

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: City to Surf
Wow what an awesome time!!! Thats an amazing achievement, especially with all the time off you had with your injuries. I'm thinking I might have to start running up Reabold hill too because I really really suck at hills, its obviously made a big difference to you!!! Well done again 
2008-09-01 9:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-01 10:59 AM

Expert
Alabama

congrats mate on a good time! sounds like a good turn out this year, guess the rain scared them all off last year. hope ur calf gets better

2008-09-01 6:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
A 2 min PB with associated calf pain?? That's awesome. Pretty tricky to run a PB in those congested conditions, so you've done well.
2008-09-01 8:27 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Great race and report! Congrats on beating last years time especially with the limited training time and the injuries.   I liked how you pace and can hold the pace on hills.

Ernie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City to Surf Rss Feed