Elite Racing
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

NOTE: This is a satellite run in Iraq. I DID NOT run with the rest of the folks in Va. Beach. I just wanted to be part of their group. :)

Went to bed plenty early and woke up at the right time. Started to hydrate and took a PowerGel, in keeping with my usual long run routine. No morning BM but that was to be expected. I had some incontinence the night prior and took an immodium. Checked football scores and then got the last of my gear together. I was heading out the door at 0435 and went to round up P.

Of course, P couldn't be expected to be on time. Show time was 0445 and at 0435, P heads to the latrine. I almost left him. Instead, I allowed him to make me late.
Event warmup:

None due to the fact that we didn't get there until 0455. Gun was at 0500.
Run
  • 2h 09m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off at my easy pace, around 9:30-9:40 per mile and tried to get in the groove. After a couple of miles, my HR was at Z1.9, I felt good and bumped it up to 8:45-9:00 per mile. HR elevated Z2-low Z3. I was able to hold this pace through the first hour or so, about 6.5/ 7 miles.

At 1:20 into the race, my legs just started to give out. A high level of fatigue came into my quads. Breathing was okay; HR was Z2-low Z3 but I just couldn't get my legs to move any faster. They just kept getting slower and slower. As my legs got heavier and more fatigued, my pace slowed and my HR with it. I was trotting along at 11:00-13:00 per mile, my HR in Z1, and I couldn't go any faster.

I don't think it was my nutrition. I've been using PowerGels with a lot of success lately. I took one of these every four miles, about every 40 minutes. Hydration could have been an issue. Water was given out in 3-4 oz. servings every two miles but I brought a water bottle to supplement this. I even walked through every water stop and at one point refilled my own water bottle. I'm sure I consumed 40oz.+ of water, which is typical of most of my longer runs.

This performance was almost a full minute per mile slower than my earlier half-marathon. I improved my hydration and nutrition, which were limiters on the last race. That leaves only two other reasons for a poor performance: my training plan and the heat.

As I ranted about earlier in my logs, I'm not really happy with my body's performance under the LSD program. I feel like I have lost a whole lot of speed and this race seemed to show it. Now, to be fair, it looks like I'm going to start some speedwork in my program just next week. I going to stick to this program for the DM Half-Mary in October but I'm not very happy so far.

The second concern is the heat. I beat the heat this year, consuming a lot more water throughtout the run and improving my nutrition. Still, the temps were in the 90's, as opposed to the 70's in May. This heat is going to have an effect on my time as well.

I guess I'm going to have to chalk this up to heat but my training is still suspect.
What would you do differently?:

I can't think of anything I would do differently.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some fruit and water in the cooling tent and caught up with P and B. Kibbutzed a bit with a lot of the running regulars, we headed to the pool for a cool-down. Water temp was about 80* but still cooler than the air. For the most part, I just walked around and kept cool for a while. A few times I got some bad craps in my hamstrings but nothing that I couldn't stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, some weight,

Event comments:

I actually did the satellite version of the race at Joint Base Balad in Iraq but I wanted to be with the rest of the group. :)

Last updated: 2008-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat and HOT.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 3:30 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon

2008-09-01 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1641241

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon
Nice Job Hawkeye! I learned from this weekend that every race is not going to be a PR, but sometimes just a quest to finish.

Thanks for what you and everyone else over there are doing!
2008-09-03 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You finished....congrats!

Some days we just are off and some days we are spot on.

Did you taper for the race? Busy with work stuff on your feet a lot? Stress? All those could be factors.

I'd say take it as a one off and look forward to going home, running new routes and enjoying workout in cooler weather.

2008-09-03 7:50 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
OK, you realize I was totally confused until I got to the event details section.

Congrats on the run - and even though it wasn't what you were hoping for, it was still a great effort. You're going to do great for the DM half-mary.

2008-09-03 12:53 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Way to knock it out...you would be surprised (probably WILL be suprised) what a difference that the heat does make...the good news is, the next time you race you'll be in back home!
2008-09-06 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Just think of what a select group you belong to with the fact that you can do a half marathon. Maybe some extra electrolytes may have helped. On my long runs, I do a gel and saltstick tablet every 30 min.

2008-09-06 1:44 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL

Super and Awesome!!!

Great run even the circunstances....and...Excellent Race Report!!!

Thanks you to share this with us...

I had the chance to participate in a Triathlon that is in honor of you guys there "Race for the Troops" last year....Event organized for www.MultiRace.com and many of you guys raced  there and the results were merged with our results....It was Great!!! and this year they will have the same event....October 19th...and I will race it....

Good Luck!!!

Edited by velorider62 2008-09-06 1:48 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon Rss Feed