General Discussion Race Reports! » Scoggins Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scoggins Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
Scoggins Valley Triathlon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 16s
Overall Rank = 29/144
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Up early, ate breakfast, stopped at starbucks on the way. Drove out through the backroads up and down windy streets. Red started to get a little car sick...probably take the long way next time if she's racing.
Event warmup:

Jogged for about 10 min, swam before the start for about 10 min.
Swim
  • 22m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Panick at the disco!!! Felt confident so I started with the pack (rather than letting them go and just swimming my pace behind the pack). Wow, what an experience, there was so much contact. I popped my head up and started swimming water polo and tried to keep the pace. I quickly ran out of gas and then started to panick. I couldnt get a breath! I finally calmed down enough to float on my side and kick with my mouth out of the water. When my breathing calmed down I started actually swimming.
Then my shitty navigation skills took over and put me so far off coarse the boat had to guide me back.
This was and will forever be titled "The worst swim experience in my life." I will never let this happen again!
What would you do differently?:

Let the pack take off and beat eachother up so I can get in a rythm early and actually have a decent swim time.
More open water swimming is a must. I cant expect to just swim in a lake on race day and expect my body to know what to do.

Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Had a tough time getting my suit off my arms this time. Still had a good T1 compared to the rest but it should have been under 2min. I was sofa king pissed coming out of the water, probably effected my T1 attitude.

Nothing. Just need more practice...I'm only seconds off the top T1 times.
Bike
  • 36m 25s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard up the hills and kept the pace high on the downhills. I was on a mission after giving everyone an 8 min head start out of the water!!

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Fastest in my age group!

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Gave it everything I had left on this run. Glad Red made me run some hills lately!! First 2 miles I kept a strong pace but saved some for the last mile. Mile 3 I turned it all on and was running strong up the last hill. I knew I was pushing hard because I had to fight the slow, fat man inside my head that kept telling me to slow down. Half way up the hill I was hurting bad and pushed even harder! Pushed hard all the way to the line.

Nothing! I am super stoked about this result...that course was tough, but so was I!!

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with Red and cursed a lot about my swim. I couldnt get past the fact that had I swam my goal time I would have been top 10 overall!!! Probably stewed and walked for about 15 minutes...I was pissed!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stupid question

Event comments:

Still stewing over the swim but that fuel will keep me fired-up over the winter. I will be coming out of the water much quicker next year!

I am happy with my bike performance. I under-train on the bike and still show up on race day and kill it. Time to start really putting some effort into this leg and reeling more swimmers in.

My run is improving every time. Track work over the last few weeks really helped pull this one together for me.

This was my last tri of 2008 and I really wanted AG podium! The swim killed that possibility, oh well. I know that once I put this weapon in my arsenal I will be competitive at any local race in Oregon. My first year is behind me. I'm in great shape and motivated to improve next year!

Almost time for cross season to start. I cant wait!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:02 | 880 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 125/144
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:25 | 12.5 miles | 20.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 8/144
Wind: Little
Course: HILLY loop around the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 24/144
Course: HILLY out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 11:08 AM

User image

Subject: Scoggins Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-09-08 3:33 PM
in reply to: #1641496

User image

New user

Vancouver
Subject: RE: Scoggins Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job on the race! I get really frustrated with my swim too, but then I remember a quote I just read in Triathlete Magazine...
"swim for show, run for dough"

You killed the run so it sounds like you are working on the right things. Have fun in cyclocross!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scoggins Valley Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed