General Discussion Race Reports! » Suzuki's Newton 8 Hours of Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Suzuki's Newton 8 Hours of Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Denver, Colorado
United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Male team of 2
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My brother was in town o do the running portion of the race with me. I am getting ready for Redman in Sept. so this race was a good tune-up. I woke up around 3:15 or so and started to get the cooler ready and load up the car. I made some coffee and woke my brother up at 4:00am. I made us a couple of berry smoothies and cinnamon rolls for each of us. By the time we got everything together we left Fort Collins around 4:45. We pulled into Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora, CO around 6:15 just as it was beginning to get light. We checked in, got our chips, body marked, and found our designated parking spots. It was still brisk outside and there was a bit of a wind to bring a chill to the air. My brother kept telling me how happy he was that he was the runner and didnt have to get into the water because it looked cold. Anyways, after joking around we listened to the pre-race directions and learned that the last lap would have to be completed by the 8 hour mark(rather than started before the 8 hour mark). This didnt really bother us we were just going to do as many as we could. Seven total mini-triathlons would be our goal for the day, and although we were serious about the race we would not be serious enough as to not enjoy the experience. Soon the gun would go off for the swim to start things off at 8 am.
Event warmup:

We did not warm up at all besides a little stretching and loosening up.
Swim
  • 1h 17m 36s
  • 2702 meters
  • 02m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Throughout the day I completed 7 swims. I did the first second and third swims as single laps. As I progressed through the day the swims got a little easier. I did 4 and 5 back to back with no problem, but I started to fatigue a little after this point. The 6th and 7th laps came toward the end of the race and I was definitely beginning to wear down. Sure enough about half way through the 6th lap I got my second wind back for the day. This was the point where we were getting to the end of the race and could tell about how many laps we could complete. I started to realize that it would come down to minutes as to whether we could complete the full 7 tri's. This motivated me through the last couple swims and the last 2 bikes as well. All in all the short swim course was fairly easy, at times there was rough wake from boats cruising by the see what was going on with all the Red Bull buoys. The water was cold in the morning, but once the air temperature rose it became pleasant to swim in . Especially pleasant when doing swims back to back and running up the hill and back down the hill with a swim cap and wetsuit on it got hot and was nice to get back in the water.
What would you do differently?:

My first swim was tough because I just have a hard time swimming well when I'm cold.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There were many transitions. They all went well except the first one where we didnt really know what was going on, so I ran all the way back to the car for my bike and shoes etc. It turned out that took a long time, dont know how long, but after that I started having my brother bring my bike stuff right near the transition then I could get out of the wetsuit right there, hand him my goggles and cap, put my stuff on and jet through the scanning tent out onto the bike. So we learned after the first one and became much more efficient after that.

Nothing really we adapted on the fly
Bike
  • 4h 00m 51s
  • 78.4 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike segment was generally good until I got to the last lap. I was running out of gas toward the end of the day and the constant thought about trying to make the last lap on time slowed me down I think, as well as climbing that hill 3 times over 7 loops. I probably started out going faster than I should have.

Overall I would ease my pace a little bit but I'm happy with the result, just need to get up those hills faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Our bike to run transitions were the fastest. As I finished the bike I would pull the wrist chip off and put it in my hand so I could just hand it to my brother and he could take off. Many other teams were placing them around each others wrist, but my brother just ran holding onto the chip and never put it on his wrist.

Nada
Run
  • 21m 8s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I only completed one run myself(HR154 ewwwww). It was very hot out toward mid-afternoon and I paced myself through the short course pretty well. I took a water at the aid station and made it back up the hill and into transition without having to walk at all.

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

The warm-down was a recovery drink, stretching, and watching for my brother to see if he could get his last run in under the 8 hour mark.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I was completing the 2 disciplines while my brother only ran probably limited our ability. Two people each performing all 3 disciplines and sharing the load 50-50 would optimally be the best team. We were not able to do that, and didnt really want to do that because I would rather just race with my brother with no pressure.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I actually won a pair of Zeal glasses in the raffle and my brother won a hilarious flag that you can put by your transition area to mark it and find it easier during the race. As I said triathlon for dummies, and the girl next to us: that would defeat the purpose if everybody had one of those. Anyways we had an awesome time, the race was done pretty well and the free beer from Breckenridge Brewery at the end topped off a great day. I would love to do this race again next year and possibly get something together to make a run at the 24 hour race. CHECK BACK AFTER RESULTS ARE POSTED FOR A MORE THOROUGH REPORT

Last updated: 2008-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:36 | 2702 meters | 02m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Each lap was 10:15(HR124), 10:51(HR125), 10:55(HR 130), 10:43(HR131), 11:34(HR131), 11:48(HR133), 11:30(HR132)
Suit: modified xterra(short sleeve no legs)
Course: The course was a T-shaped swim. Out through the middle, turn left for 100m, then a U-turn around the cylindrical buoy, past the starting middle buoys to the next cylindrical buoy, U-turn around that and back 100m through the starting buoys. After exiting the water there was a brief run back to the transition. This is an uphill run and for the beginning of the race it was on a rocky path very unfriendly to bare feet. Later in the day somebody had the wonderful idea of putting carpet on the path and it made a world of a difference. The start was a mass Le Mans style run into the chilly water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:00:51 | 78.4 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Performance:
lap times were 33:30(HR139),33:29(HR138),33:02(HR139),34:34(HR140),35:32(HR140),34:27(HR145),36:17(HR145)
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The bike course started out of the parking lot then up the first hill. It was easy the first few loops, then became tedious as the day wore down. After that there was a nice downhill to the right and a left turn where the downhill continues for a bit. Then you grind the small hills toward the first turnaround at the south side of the park. After the turnaroudn you come back the same way and grind up the second hill of the ride, which is the same as the first hill, just from a different direction. I thought this was the most difficult "climb" of the ride. Then it was a fast straightaway slightly downhill to the second turnaround. Then back up the hill from a third direction and a right turn to a fast downhill back to the transition area. As the day went on the constant bumps in the road made my forearms sore in the aero position.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:08 | 02.6 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: The run course left the transition area and turned South, then down and up the hill and back down the other side. We crossed the road and ran down the windy path for a short jaunt to the turnaround. On the way back after crossing the road there was a quick uphill which was tough on the legs. Once back near the transition area the run swung down by the water and around to enter transition from the north side.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Subject: Suzuki's Newton 8 Hours of Triathlon

2008-09-01 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1641634

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Suzuki's Newton 8 Hours of Triathlon

Sounds like you had a blast! Great fun event to do with your brother.

My brother and I want to do a 10 hour tri next year Burrito Union in WI...you do the whole thing through and then switch..or do a relay with 3 people and each person has to do one part each time through but you can trade of which you do each time through.

2008-09-01 5:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Nice work between you and your brother!  I think I saw you go up there for the Zeals...I'm jealous!

yeah, that carpet was like manna from heaven!  LOL!  That ground was super rough for bare feet.  Oh, and you didn't have to do the first 3 tri's in order....just the first three legs of one tri in order.  After one S, B, R, you could do it in any order. 

You guys did awesome!  We had a team of 3 and got in 7 tri's also....can't imagine doing that with just 2 of you! 

2008-09-01 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Great job! It sounds like a super fun event.
2008-09-01 8:12 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
That sounds like such a cool event.  Definitely on my "races to do in the future" list.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Suzuki's Newton 8 Hours of Triathlon Rss Feed