Jack and Adam's Bicycles
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 31s
Overall Rank = 81/467
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am after about 6.5hrs of sleep. Had my usual cereal, cottage cheese, and some juice. Left the house at 530a and got to the event by 6. Nice to finally have one so close. Ate a banana about 45min prior to race.
Event warmup:

Luckily I arrived pretty early. I noticed as I was walking in that no one had their bikes with them. I couldn't figure out what was up. Got marked and went to walk into the transition area to set up the bike and was told that there was a mandatory bike check in yesterday and I can't get my bike in until approved by a USAT judge! I had to search around to find one and kept getting the run around. Never did find one. Guy at the transition finally agreed to let me in, but did slap me on my wrist. I didn't know we had to check our bike in the day before!! Never heard of that. Pretty pissed that no one at the packet pickup mentioned anything about it. Anyway, I still got in with plenty of time to spare and got all set up. Did some stretching and that was about it. One bad thing was the transition was closed at 715a and my swim didn't start until 825a. Long wait.
Swim
  • 13m 29s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a deep water start. Had never done one of these before. It was a little different. Had to all jump off a dock then swim out to the start buoy. Then float for about 1min before the start. Had a rough first 100y as it was a large wave and more bumping/pushing than I had seen before. I actually drifted back a little to get out of the way of some guys flailing and trying to swim over everyone in their way. After that, I got in my zone and just cruised. I felt good and this was the fastest I have ever swam in open water.
What would you do differently?:

What I keep saying every time, work more on open water swims.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

This was by far the longest transition from the swim to the bike I had ever done. I took a little extra time to try and dry my feet off before putting socks on. Ended up being just a waste of time as the socks got soaked anyway from all the water from my suit running down my legs. I also ate a small 80 calorie energy bar while putting my stuff on.

Bike without socks. Then put the socks on before the run. Get some energy gels so I can use them on the bike while moving instead of during transition. Didn't want to use a gel for the first time on race day.
Bike
  • 50m 12s
  • 16.78 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I AVG'D 20MPH FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!!! Very nice course. Some were talking about how hilly it was, but that was flat compared to what I train on. It was a t-shaped course with some long gradual hills. I passed a lot of people going uphill. The course was well marked and very fast. Roads were nice and smooth. I had no problems of any kind.

Nothing really. Oh yeah, not wear socks for the ride, b/c they just get soaked and cause blisters on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This transition went very well. Even had an unknown spectator yell out "great dismount". I did the running dismount that I have been practicing. That always makes you feel good.

Nada. Will probably try to not use socks up until the run, and then put them on this transition. We'll see how that goes next year.
Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice flat course with some shade. I felt very good on the run. I started off easy as I could feel a side stitch coming. I focused on breathing and kept the pace slow until about halfway. I then got a 2nd wind and really picked it up. It was a great run for me and am very happy I hit my goal of around an 8:30 mile. They had these wet sponges at the run stations (along with water) which were great and wish I would see this more often.

Continue to practice bike/run bricks and work on speeding up the runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching and had some water, tea, and fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I equaled or beat personal goals in all 3 events, so on that note it was a great race for me. My only goal is just like everyone else's...get faster.

Event comments:

This was my 3rd TRI ever and my last one of the year. Jack and Adams continues to put on the best races I have been to. I couldn't stay for the post-race activities, but they always have lots of food and things to do. Thanks to all the volunteers! I will always make an attempt to race in this race. Maybe next year I'll move up to the Olympic distance!

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:29 | 766 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/67
Overall: 177/467
Performance: Good
Suit: My super suit (as my wife likes to call it)!
Course: One rectangular shaped loop in Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:12 | 16.78 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/67
Overall: 55/467
Wind: Little
Course: A t-shaped course of around 8.9mi. Did 2 laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:28 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/67
Overall: 150/467
Course: Don't know how to explain it. Ran mostly on one road, but 3 times we shot down side streets, u-turned, then ran back to the main road and continued on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2008-09-02 4:31 AM
in reply to: #1641904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Awesome race!!! Your times are improving all the time and as the months have gone on I have watched you become stronger and stronger. What a fantastic way to end your season - well done.
2008-09-02 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Man, what a great race!  You really kicked butt on that bike.  That does suck about the bike check thingy.  I'd be so peeved about having not been told.  Anyway, really great job, Tim.  That's a great way to finish out the season.
2008-09-02 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I have never heard of a bike check...something to keep in mind. Overall, it sounds like you ended the season on a high note! Excellent job!!
2008-09-06 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Wow.  What a great way to end the season.  Awesome race (aside from the T1 time, whats that all about? lol.)  Seriously, very impressive.  You've come a long way already.
2008-09-08 11:06 AM

User image

New user

Great job. thanks for the welcome. See you at the next race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed