United States
Disney's Wide World of Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 33s
Overall Rank = 705/10846
Age Group = M40-45
Age Group Rank = 91/623
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3 AM, to drop Ruthie off at her volunteer station. Got back to the hotel room at 4:15 and got ready to run. Ate 2 PB&J sandwiches. All three of us were in corral B, so we walked over to the start line and just hung out for an hour.
Event warmup:

Just the mile walk to the start.
Run
  • 1h 49m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The gun went off, my wife, daughter and I did the start shuffle. At the start line, I took off, like my daughter was right behind me. As it turned out, this was a good thing.

The 2-3 miles are all about finding a good path through the crowd. There are a LOT of people crowding a 3 lane road. At mile 1, the race started to go through the park, which is always exciting. The park part of the race last for about 3 miles, weaving through California Adventure and Disney Land.

At mile 4, the course leaves the park, and goes into Anaheim. Managed to keep my pace right between 8 and 8:30. It's a little difficult to keep a good pace up in Anaheim, simply because it's flat and straight, and not that exciting, but I was checking my Garmin every half mile or so.

The course was crowded with spectators, cheerleaders and bands, which is always awesome. The only issue was the Mariachi band which seemed to be playing funeral dirges.

At mile 10 I discovered that we weren't going through Angel Stadium. That was disappointing, but it made sense.

Mile 12 was where I blew up. I had been keeping up the 8:15s, but just ran out of speed. Walked a bit, and then really slowed down for the last mile. I simply didn't have anything left for a real kick at the end.

Still got a pretty good time, for a non-A race. Got to the finish line and waited for my daughter and wife.

My daughter came in about 6 minutes behind me. This is when I discovered it was a GTEAT thing that I was running like she was behind me, because Evelyn was STEP BY STEP behind me for the first 5 miles. Of course, she didn't bother to tell me she was there, and I make it a point of not looking back. So... she was back there hoping I was going to slow down, and I in front of her, worried that she was right behind me. Actually, I was kind of hopeing that she was right behind me, because if she had been, she would have placed in her AG. As it was, she came in 9th, not bad for a swimmer.

Anyway, we both popped our times by 20 minutes from last year. Part of that was because of the heat, and part of that was because we were much better prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

Does going to Disneyland for 10 hours after a race count as a warm down?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hee hee. Um... let's see -
Not volunteer for 12 hours the day before?
Find a place to get pasta the night before, instead of eating a burger?
Not wake up at 3 or 4AM 2 days in a row to volunteer?
Eat my normal pre-race breakfast of Oatmeal?
Make this into an A race?

Anyway, it's just a fun race. I didn't expect to get a PR, even though it is a pretty fast course.

Event comments:

Fun fun fun race. The race through the park is exciting with the characters cheering the runners on. BTW... WHY would serious racers who were going for a 1:30 or so STOP in the middle of a race to get pics with characters? The race out of the park is also a lot of fun wiht lots of cheerleaders, bands and dancers. It keeps it all exciting.

No fireworks this year, but they did start us off under a flaming start line which was EXTREMELY cool.

Thank goodness the temperatures were so much cooler this year than last.

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:33 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 91/623
Overall: 705/10846
Performance:
5k - 26:39 10k - 51:47 15k - 1:17:31
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Disneyland Half Marathon

2008-09-02 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1642540

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: RE: Disneyland Half Marathon
Nice work!  Is your daughter gunning to beat you next time?
2008-09-02 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1642540

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Disneyland Half Marathon
Awesome time! (Esp. if you walked!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disneyland Half Marathon Rss Feed