General Discussion Race Reports! » Rangely Lakes Saddleback Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rangely Lakes Saddleback Challenge - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rangely, Maine
United States
Maine Mountain Bike Association
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m
Overall Rank = 6/6
Age Group = 45+
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Get up early, break camp, go out for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Chat with friends. My 9-year old son wanted to try this race this year (this is a good beginner's race) but was very nervous and wanted me to be with him. I told him I would ride with both he and my 11-yr old daughter but I would stay with the slowest. If he wanted to zoom ahead, he could. And if he was ahead but was uncomfortable, he could stop and wait on the trail, and I would catch up with him.
Bike
  • 2h 10m
  • 7 miles
  • 3.23 mile/hr
Comments:

My daughter was a delight to ride with. Hubby pre-rode with her on Saturday and she was quite frustrated and walked all the wet sections. On race day, she was happy and she rode much cleaner than last year. She tried the mud sections. Son zoomed off ahead of us and we never saw him. Hubby lapped us but his encouragement gave daughter a nice boost.

Son did one loop and was the First to finish overall. He was thrilled to get the big applause. A couple of minutes later the multi-loop adults started to pour in. It was a sweet moment for him. Wish I was there to see it but happy that I could support them on the course.

I was the last woman to finish but based on my 2nd lap time, I think I would have been 2nd or 3rd. T.'s lap time avg was 45 minutes, and my second lap was about 50 minutes. Still, I DID do a triathlon yesterday, so I am very pleased with my lap time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I am the luckiest mom to have 2 healthy kids.
Post race
Warm down:

Awards - all four of us got 1st place in their division! I won a triathlon transition mat, Hubby won triathlon swim goggles, daughter won a new bike helmet, son won a patch kit. I think most of the prizes were leftovers from yesterday's triathlon. Still we were very happy! Then hit the road to drive home. We needed to get home for soccer practice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was tired after yesterday's triathlon but not as beat as I expected. My legs lacked power on sustained climbs but were fine on all the short ups and downs. Surprisingly, my arms really felt worn out. And my neck was a little sore.

Event comments:

I love this race. What more can I say?

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Biking
02:10:00 | 07 miles | 3.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 0/6
Performance: Good
About 1:20 for first lap with daughter, then 50 minutes for lap by myself. I think daughter cut about 10 minutes off her time from last year.
Wind: Little
Course: Beautiful! It is a lollipop course - you go out 1+ mile on gravel road, then 5 mile lap of single track, then back on same gravel road. If you do laps, you just repeat the single track loop, the gravel road part is only done at beginning and end. Juniors <12 do one loop, Juniors 12-17 and Novice do 2 loops, Sport class does 3 loops, and Experts do 4 loops.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: Rangely Lakes Saddleback Challenge

2008-09-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1643102

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Rangely Lakes Saddleback Challenge
I love that your whole family is involved sounds like a lot of fun, including the camping!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rangely Lakes Saddleback Challenge Rss Feed