General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP! I see Chocolate! Weight-loss Support Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-11-06 5:58 PM
in reply to: #1792284

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: HELP! I see Chocolate! Weight-loss Support Group

Fechter99 - 2008-11-07 4:49 AM Cat,  congratulations on the loss and on leading that group to their first triathlon.  Sounds like an amazing opportunity to share your knowledge and get others addicted at the same time.  It will also help you keep on track with your training since you will have lots of company, right?

Thanks Randi! Well I think since I feel kind of responsible for them all I do feel the need to set a good example and follow my own advice so it keeps me accountable. 

While we are not doing much as a group yet Im sure that will change the closer we get to race day!  We are up to 17 women interested so its a bit daunting right now but Im pretty positive about it all!

Its definatley motivation for me to train well and consistently this season as I would like to put in a good showing since this whole thing was my idea!  

2008-11-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1789899

User image

Expert
Slusser- congrats on the weight loss!  I'm glad you are feeling better.  Consistency is such a challenge; good for you for sticking with it.
2008-11-06 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1643214

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Hi everyone...just a quick check-in. I didn't weigh myself today (or last week...oops!). Just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'll weigh-in tomorrow...promise.

Cat - congrats on the weight loss progress! It sure feels great when it happens, doesn't it?

Mart - oooh, heel pain...unfortunately, I can totally relate to that. I'm dealing it that very problem myself. Trying to adjust to my new orthotics, and it's not going well. I now have new pains in my feet from the orthotics...so I'll be seeing my podiatrist on Monday. In the meantime, I've been searching for a new pair of running shoes and not having much luck there, either. I think I'll hold off on my search, until I see my foot doc.

Randi - Oh how I know of that "blah" feeling you speak of...maybe a little too well. I'm getting a bit frustrated with my doc, as he insists there is nothing out of whack with my thyroid. My tests have come back within normal range (albeit, low normal) and my doc doesn't want to progress further with it (he keeps going down the "you're depressed" route). He flatout refuses to test for Hashi's or anything else for that matter. I have my yearly ob/gyn appointment tomorrow, so I'm going to bring up my issues with her and see if she is willing to help figure out what's going on with me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll soon have some answers. Meanwhile...I just got results of a complete blood screening, and everything checked out fine...EXCEPT...my cholesterol has shot up to 204...up from 192 last time. I don't know why it keeps creeping up. I don't eat a lot of saturated fat, and well...I don't think my exercise level is a factor here...so I'm very confused about all of this. And of course, no answers from my doc. UGH! I'm actually hoping that there is some kind of link between my cholesterol numbers and my thyroid issues. We'll see.

Linda
2008-11-06 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1792310

User image

Expert

Sunny-welcome back!  It's great to have you posting again!

I'm so glad I've inspired some goal setting!  I love reading everyone's goals.  I'll put out one more piece of dorky leadership training dogma that I've found is really helpful (at least in work, if not in weight loss so far).  There's an acronym "SMART" to describe the types of goals that are the most effective at inspiring change.  It stands for:

Specific:  I will workout 4 times a week, rather than I will work out regularly

Measurable:  I will be able to ride 15 miles at 18 MPH, rather than I will get faster on the bike

Attainable:  I will run a 10K race by June, rather than I will  do an ironman by June.

Realistic: I will eat 6 fruits/vegetable per day, rather than I will never eat chocolate again

Timely: I will lose 5 pounds in 2 months, rather than I will lose 10 pounds by next week

I don't follow all of these in my goals, but as I make up new ones I try to use these concepts, and I think it really helps. 

Great work everyone!

2008-11-09 8:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

Hey all!

So I've thought a bit about my goals and with my life getting crazy I'm going to keep it simple.  Consistency is my weakness in training, so my main goal is similar to one or two posted above:

Train 15 minutes, 5x a week.

This is going to require me to get up a few minutes earlier, because as it stands now if I don't get it done before class and work, I won't do it.

Just a note - I, more than anyone, know that I am prone to making plans for training and not following through.  I'd really like to change that.  That's why I'm trying to structure it into the beginning of my day.  15 minutes is doable even in the busiest days.  So much so that if I don't follow through with this, I have no one to blame but myself and my silly mental blocks.

2008-11-10 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hi team - well I KNOW Im only meant to hop on the scales once a week but I couldnt resist yesterday and it seems Im down another kilo (2.2 pounds) - that was QUICK!

I would be worried about the speed but I figure after plugging away for so long maybe I will get a couple of good weeks loss as a bonus beofre it balances out again. 

The only thing is after breakfast and my coffee I started to get a bit light headed this morning.. not sure if its related or not at all and it wasnt enough to stop me functioning but enough for me to worry a little... 

I seem to be coming right now but has anyone else experienced this? 

Cat

2008-11-11 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
PA

Ok, I'm back on track!

Dr told me to try some orthotics, lots of stretching and easier running to prevent plantar fascitis which he thinks may be my problem.  

At least I know what is going on now instead of wondering!  I can throw in more biking and add swimming until my feet sort themselves out.

Cat, is the dizzyness a one time thing?  Or does it happen a lot?  Have you had your blood pressure checked recently?

Edited by MartS 2008-11-11 2:13 PM
2008-11-11 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hey Mart - seems to be a once off for now... weird!Im a bit fuzzy this morning but not the same. I might go for a check up though at some point... Im probably due for some blood work etc too so can do it all at the same time.

Good Luck with the orthotics... I have had NO troubles with my PF since i got them broken in and the issue healed (dont get me wrong it took a couple of months to get back to 100% for my feet) so I swear by their magical properties (they also have significantly reduced my knee problems so it was well worth the investment in the first place

I definatley took some time off my feet for awhile though too as part of the healing process... I had trouble as I found the cleats on my bike shoes were also a bit aggravating once the problem started.. 

These days I almost NEVER ice, roll out my feet occassionally and wear my orthotics in all flat shoes... so far so good and its been almost a  year since I have had PF issues. 

Im guessing its the off season for you so its a good time to take a break from running, heal and break in the orthotics  

Edited by kaqphin 2008-11-11 6:02 PM
2008-11-11 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Just wanted to chime in on the orthotics topic. I'm on my 3rd week of "breaking in" my custom orthotics, and things aren't going as well as I'd like. The metatarsal pads are still bugging me and causing pain and numbness in my toes.

I had a follow-up visit with my podiatrist yesterday, and we both decided that the orthotics needed to get sent back to the lab for some tweaking. They will be extended to full-length (they are currently 3/4 length) because I felt as if my toes were sitting on a "ledge"...I could feel the edge of where the orthotic stopped in my shoe and I don't think it was helping with my issues. They will also move the metatarsal pads back about an 1/8th of an inch.

I'll be without them for over a week, so in the meantime...I'm wearing store-bought, heat-moldable inserts until my customs are back from the lab. I will say this...my heel/arch pain has been noticeably less since I started wearing the orthotics. Kinda sucks that the orthotics actually seem to be helping one pain/problem, yet created a new one.

Edited by nscrbug 2008-11-11 6:25 PM
2008-11-11 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1802618

User image

Regular
PA
A one time thing could of been anything.  I know when my blood pressure was up I'd get a little dizzy spell standing up from bed or from a chair to quick.  Since it dropped it rarely happens now.
2008-11-11 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1802682

User image

Champion
Sydney

MartS - 2008-11-12 11:40 AM A one time thing could of been anything.  I know when my blood pressure was up I'd get a little dizzy spell standing up from bed or from a chair to quick.  Since it dropped it rarely happens now.

Ive had those kind of issues in the past although they thought it was an inner ear thing rather than blood pressure but its been a stressful time so I cant see any harm in getting checked out! 

Better to know than wonder right?

2008-11-16 8:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA

Hey everyone, it's been pretty quiet around here lately.

Cat - I hope the dizziness turns out to be nothing serious.  You're right, though, better to know than to wonder.

Just thought I'd check in since it's been awhile.  My weight's back up a couple of lbs BUT last week I DID accomplish my goal of training 5 days.  My workouts were short, but I found that getting up a little earlier is very possible, even last week when I was working my full schedule at my job for the first time and had two papers to write.

As for my weight, I know those extra couple pounds are completely related to diet.  I have extra motivation to eat well in the next week and a half though, because I need to preemptively cancel out the extra calories from thanksgiving!

2008-11-26 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Just wanted to wish all of you who are in the US a very happy thanksgiving.  Hope you have a relaxing day with family and/or friends.  Hopefully we won't be with the statistics of those who consume 7000 calories tomorrow. I know that I plan to be careful about what I eat.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HELP! I see Chocolate! Weight-loss Support Group Rss Feed  

of 14