Jack and Adam's Bicycles
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 5s
Overall Rank = 21/760
Age Group = Open Wave
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0330 and ate the normal b fast bagel w peanut butter and oatmeal, a cup of java, and some pedialyte. Left the house at 0430 and got to the site at right after 0500. Changed and headed in to get body marked and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Ran back to the jeep to drop off the pump and get water, then waited in line for the portas (not a lot this time around), then run back to transition to get wetsuit. Put on body glide and headed down to the water. Suited up then swam a quick out and back to the first buoy.
Swim
  • 18m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

First race swim in the wetsuit. The open wave definetly had some fast swimmers, the race started out pretty smooth but after a while I was with a pack of about four and drafting pretty well, then this guy came up on my left and he kept pushing to the right off course, finally after fighting him I dropped back and went around to his left and just stayed steady the rest of the way. Caught up with a group of three just at the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing happy with the swim, although the water was a little warm, but not much you can do about that.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Long run from the water to the racks. The whole area was sand with a little grass mixed in so it made getting the wetsuit off a dirty process, overall it went pretty good.

Not much maybe go a little quicker
Bike
  • 1h 05m 37s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off easy just spinning to get the legs used to working after the swim, and to kind of get the lay of the course. One nice thing about racing the open wave is that the bike course is nice and empty, not like the madness at CAPTEX. The goal for the bike was to increase effort with each subsequent lap, the legs felt okay. The second and third laps the course started to get a little more crowded, but it never got to the point of being ridiculous. Felt like I increased effort each lap but in the end I ended up losing some ground. Never felt like I pushed it too hard, but overall it was okay.

Push the bike leg a little harder, take in some more nutrition, all I did was drink water from the aero drink, no gel no GU2O.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Rack was real close to bike in, had to wipe off feet after running through the dirt in transiton before putting on running shoes, I also forgot a hat or visor for the run, oops... got socks shoes and race number and started the run

Not much
Run
  • 43m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Not very happy with this run. Started out with some winding chicane like stuff through auditorium shores that was on the grass and that I was not expecting. the run course was definetly changed from last year. The run started out okay, and I did not want to push too hard on the first lap, but I noticed my breathing was labored right from the get go. The first lap went okay and the plan was to try and get faster the second lap. This did not happen, I tried to push but my legs just did not want to go, and during the second lap the hammys started to get tight, they never cramped but it was that feeling that they were right on the verge of cramping, the rest of the run was just trying to maintain and finish it off.

Don't know, this run hurt. I need to do more brick workouts leading into Longhorn.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around auditorium shores a couple of times and drank about three bottles of water. Looked for Todde to congratulate him an absolutly smoking this race. Met up with a few folks and headed to the beer tent for some fat tire mmmm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall I am fairly pleased with this race. Longhorn is the A race so that is where my focus needs to be, but this was a good prep race. Things that did not help were my limited training due number one to the move which saw low training volume in July. The lack of bricks has hurt as well, time to get ready for Longhorn.

Event comments:

Great race again. Everything was oustanding was only compalint was that there seemed to be a lack of porta potties this time around?

Last updated: 2008-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 10/760
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue seventy Helix john
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:37 | 24.85 miles | 22.72 mile/hr
Overall: 43/760
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 3 Loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:15 | 06.21 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 51/760
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2008-09-02 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1643960

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Wow--smoking fast swim...you are a fish!! Great bike and run too.  You really do well taking the challenge of the open wave--good for you!  Maybe I can say hi in person at Longhorn--good luck with the rest of your training for it!
2008-09-02 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Nice race! I would kill for your swimming ability. I'm like you, I have the hardest time taking in nutrition and hydration during Oly's. HIM and IM I have no problem getting everything down with the lower heart rate.

We'll have to look for each other at Longhorn. I'm entered but I have strict orders not to race and to only use it as a training day for IMFL.
2008-09-02 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job as usual. i know the run wasnt quite where you wanted it this time but the swim and bike were on and your run was still strong. keep working toward a strong race at longhorn and end this year with a big bang!!!!! lets get a few of those long bricks in together so i can get some more race prep as well!
2008-09-02 8:57 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Great job out there, especially on the swim. Best of luck at Longhorn! Sounds like you'll do great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed