Austin, Texas
United States
Jack and Adam's Bicycles
Total Time = 2h 19m 39s
Overall Rank = 44/770
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/100
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and made toast with peanut butter and jelly. Drank a Coke Zero with it and off I went. Ate a banana and drank Gatorade on the way to the race. Got to the race site at around 5:30 and was very surprised to find out I had to pay for parking. This is the first time that athletes have ever had to pay for parking at this location. NOTHING was mentioned in all the communication so it was a little surprising.

Bike was already checked in so just set up transition and started the warmup.
Event warmup:

I am such a creature of habit. Same pre-race routine for every event. Put on the iPod. Then I stretch and go for a short run to get sweating and ready to go. Came back to transition and made one last check. Grabbed my wetsuit, goggles, and cap and went to go for a short swim. Jumped in and after a couple hundred yard warmup a lifeguard came over in a canoe and said there was no warmup swimming aloud. Well, none of us that were already in the water really listened and we finished our warmup and got out.

Glad I got in the water early as nobody else was aloud in the water after we were booted.
Swim
  • 26m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't going to wear my old, torn sleeveless wetsuit because it has been so warm and I definitely didn't need it to stay warm as the water temp was 78. I decided Sunday to sew up the tears to see if they'd hold. After my warmup the suit was good so I decided I'd take the free speed.

I started the swim in front on the inside and got an ok start. I ran into a lot of people and just couldn't get a good rhythm. About 200 meters in someone comes swimming across from the left. I don't know what it is but this is the 2nd tri in a row someone came right across me. We colided and I just tried to go over him. Even after 300m I couldn't get clean water as I was constantly running into people. 800m in and I had to swim around people from previous waves. Finally, after the first turn I got some clear water. Sure enough turn around at the next buoy to head back and I'm zig zagging trying to get around people again from previous waves. I swear I added 200m just trying to get around people. the last 700m or so I finally got into a good rhythm and was probably at my fastest pace.

Still, I can't complain about swimming around people because I never used to have that problem. I guess it's a good problem to have. I'm not a fast swimmer, but I'm not the slowest swimmer anymore.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Wow, what a brutally slow T1. It was a good 200-300m run from swim to bike but I was 1:00 slower than those ahead of me in my age group. I always struggle with getting my wetsuit off, and, in particular not losing my timing chip when I pull it off. Sure enough, when I went to pull my suit off my feet my chip came off with it. I had to fumble for a while to get my chip back on.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it a little easier on the bike to save some legs for the run. I started easier on the 1st of 3 laps and then picked it up for the last 2. I can't remember how many times I had to scream "ON YOUR LEFT" and people would not move over. I had to cross over the middle line several times because people were riding on the left even when they weren't passing. I'm sure some people were pissed as I was literally screaming at them to move over. They may think I'm an ass, but they need to learn to move over or someone will crash big time.

As usual with Oly's, I can't figure out my hydration and nutrition during the race. I only drank 1/2 bottle of Gatorade and took a Gu at about mile 18. I have a very hard time digesting fluids and taking in nutrition when my heartrate is high like it is during Oly's. I felt full the entire time on the bike and had to force myself to take in what I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Good transition. I think this was fastest in my age group. Got out of my shoes on the bike. Took me a second to find my transition area but once I did I slipped on my shoes, grabbed my hat and race number, and just started running while putting my hat and race belt on.
Run
  • 43m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I just cannot figure out why I cannot go sub 7 minute miles in an Oly. I haven't focused my training on speed for an Oly and haven't really worked bricks at this distance so maybe that's why I can't get there. I started the first loop just trying to find a good pace and was feeling ok but didn't feel like I had my best legs. I picked it up the 2nd lap and actually think I ran a reverse split as I felt much better the 2nd time around the course.

I tried to take in water and Pure whenever I could as it was starting to get hot. I took water and cold sponges and poured water over my head when I could. I also took the sponges and put them in my tri-top. Anything I could do to stay cool.

I actually wish there was another 3 miles to run because I felt that much stronger on the 2nd loop.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper whatsoever as I'm in a major buildup for IMFL. I'm sure with a proper taper my legs would've felt better and my bike and run would've been faster.

Event comments:

I guess I can't really complain to much about my results. Sure, with a proper taper I would've been faster, but this was a B race at best. I also need to remember I was 16 minutes faster this year than I was last year so I must be in somewhat better shape. And it was much hotter this year than it was last year.

This is a great race and I'll continue to do it as long as they hold it.

Last updated: 2008-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/100
Overall: 156/770
Performance:
Suit: Sleeveless Xterra
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:03 | 24.85 miles | 22.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/100
Overall: 36/770
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:48 | 06.21 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/100
Overall: 68/770
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2008-09-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1644579

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon

Great race!! It appears we had similiar bike experiences...at least I'm not the only one people are cursing for screaming "on your left" due to massive casual riding on the left!  The fact that you wanted a 3rd run loop bears well for your training for IMFL!  16 minutes improvement in a year is AWESOME!!

Look forward to cheering you and other BT'ers on during IMFL! I'll be watching for you!

2008-09-02 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race out there!!! 16 min improvement is awesome!!! Looks like the training for IMFL is right on target especailly if you wanted another lap of that run. Grat job out there and we should definitely look for each other at Longhorn, that will be a nice tune up before IMFL!!!
2008-09-02 8:10 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Awesome job out there! That improvement is amazing, and it sounds like you'll be ready for IMFL. Best of luck!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed