World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 00m 14s
Overall Rank = 1022/1975
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 40/86
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in Louisville Friday afternoon with Daniel (husband) and Tina (friend). Tina took my bike and her race wheels to Inside Out Sports while I checked in. We decided at the last minute that I would use her wheels. Tina's husband gave me a quick tutorial on changing tubulars, and Tina told how to do it again after we got the bike set up.

Thursday night I met up with the BT crew at the Athlete Dinner. It was really great meeting everyone I've been communicating with all year. I feel like I've known everyone for a long time - each person's personalities matched their blogs - it was a really neat experience!

After dinner Tina and I went out for a 20 minute jog. It felt great to get the run out of the way - I really didn't want to do it the day before the race.

Saturday morning I did the practice swim. The water felt perfect, and the current wasn't strong at all. I also got on my bike and gave all the gears a test run. Everything seemed to work great!

We went back to the hotel, packed up the gear bags, checked in bike & bags, and then met up with some friends from the tri club who came to volunteer. I invited them to stay in our suite, so they canceled their reservation and decided to stay an extra night so they could see me finish.

We went to The Old Spaghetti Factory for an early dinner (4pm). I had Chicken Penne with marinara, two slices of bread, a few bites of salad, and some spumoni ice cream.

After dinner we went back to the hotel and relaxed the rest of the night. I went to bed at 9:30. Daniel was watching Jaws on tv, and I had to tell him to turn it off when the theme song and screaming started to stress me out, lol.

I slept until 2am and then I was too uncomfortable to sleep. I finally got out of bed at 3:30am and started to get ready. The clock radio turned on and played this Kentucky themed rap song that cracked me up! The rapper rapped about catfish, bluegrass, and sitting by the river with his fishing pole, liqour, and shotgun. It was a funny way to start the day.

Drank one slimfast and a 4 serving bottle of Gatorade Tiger.

Daniel drove Tina and I down to transition. Tina walked down to the swim start to hold me a spot in line. I met up with my friend and training partner, Bob. Bob helped me pump my tires and gave me one last tutorial on changing tubulars. I wasn't too worried about changing it, since everyone told me it was very unlikely to flat on a tubular ;) We finished up in transition, and then Daniel drove us to the start where Tina was waiting near the front of the line.
Swim
  • 1h 25m 36s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really worried about this swim. I had never swam 2.4 miles, and I skipped a bunch of swim workouts in training, so I was worried that I would get tired swimming and it would effect the rest of my race.

I tried to stay relaxed in the water. I worked on grabbing, pulling, and pushing the water against the current. I was still worried a bit, but I pushed the negativity aside and thought positive thoughts that made me smile in the water. I counted to keep focus, and before I knew it, I was at the turn around. I checked my watch - 33 minutes! On the way back down I took long strokes. I stretched my arms and focused on gliding through the water. I thought about Steve (our tri club swim coach), thinking it would make me swim more efficiently. It must have worked because I beat my perfect goal time of 1:30. I was estatic!
Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

Carried my shoes to the bike before I put them on.
Bike
  • 7h 23m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.14 mile/hr
Comments:

I told myself over and over before the race, to take it EASY on the bike and save myself on the run. My ultimate goal was to run the entire marathon and enjoy the run - and in order to do that, I would have to go slow on the bike. I stuck with the plan, even when it seemed like EVERYONE was passing me.

On the first hill, I noticed my bike was rattling and squeaking in the easy gears. I tried to adjust the derailer, but it didn't work. It was annoying and embarrassing, but the bike still worked, so I was thankful.

I stopped at the second aid station because I needed to add water to my Infinit. I prepared an 8 hour bottle and it was too thick. I used the portalet while I was there.

I am happy I practiced on this course three times, because it felt like a piece of cake. I kept my HR in check and kept reminding myself to go easy. I took note of interesting people who passed me, and told myself that I would see them later ;)

Guess what happened 75 miles into the course? A freakin' FLAT! I thought "oh NO" because I had never changed a tubular, but I stayed positive when I saw spectators sitting in front of their lawn, with plenty of shade and a fence to lean my bike against. I remained calm and went to work.

Soon a support vehicle came by and a guy jumped out. He said he would try to help. I told him what I needed to do and he helped me rip the tire off, and helped me stretch the spare over the rim. The support car that dropped him off returned, and the woman asked if I had any electrolyte pills for a sick athlete up the road. I had plenty extra and I was happy that I could help someone else out. Soon we had the spare inflated and my bike was ready to go! I was so relieved to get the tubular changed and I said a prayer that everything else would go smoothly.

The rest of the ride seemed to go really fast. I kept my HR in check and I couldn't believe that I was going to make my bike goal even with a flat! I was really excited to get to the run.
What would you do differently?:

Probably practice with the race wheels a week before the race and not just 15 minutes the day before ;)

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

As I walked to the women's changing tent, I heard Tina and I yelled her name (she was volunteering in the tent). She gave me a huge hug and helped me with my gear. I took some tylenol, put on my socks, shoes, and hat, and got running!
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run slow and concentrated on slow breathing. My body felt great, but I still had to keep myself from getting my HR too high. I relaxed my face muscles, my arms, and my hands and congratulated myself on getting to the run. I can do this!

The first aid station came FAST. I stayed in the shade as much as possible. I noticed that most people were walking. I reminded myself of my goals in case I got tired. I wasn't tired, but I told myself if I wanted to walk I would just keep making deals with myself to shuffle to the next aid station.

Soon I was at the 4 mile mark. People were cheering for me and saying it was great that I was running. I couldn't believe how many people were walking. Everyone was complaining about the heat and the wind on the bike. I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I noticed the wind on the bike, but I kept my heartrate low and it didn't bother me. I'd trained in much worse heat and humidity.

I stopped to use the portalet and it was really HOT and nasty in there!

I alternated between gel, coke, and chicken broth at the aid stations. WOW the chicken broth felt great when I was sick of the gels.

I was passing people left and right. I recognized all sorts of people who passed me on the bike. It seemed like barely anyone was running.

I got downtown and ran by the finish chute. It was the most emotional magical experience ever! It took everything I had not to cry from the excitement of the crowd. I think this was the 13 mile mark. I still felt good and I looked at my watch to think about what I needed to do to get to my great race goal of 14 hours 10 minutes. I'd have to pick up the pace a bit, so I did.

I kept looking at my watch and thought I could go faster. I wondered how long I could keep up the higher heart rate. Every 2 miles I'd pick it up some more. At mile 19 I thought to myself it would be amazing if I actually beat 14 hours - could I really do it? 14 hours was my DREAM time. I picked it up again.

People were cheering for me like crazy because not only was I one of very few people running - but I was flying (at least it felt like it). I was panting - it was obvious that I was on a mission and everyone was out there supporting me.

I thought about all the tough speed workouts I did, and I just knew I could keep it up. I hit mile 24 with 20 minutes to spare before the clock struck 14 hours. I knew I was going to have to give it all I could to go sub 14.

As I neared downton I heard my Leslie cheering for me and I felt so proud. I ran as fast as I could. I spotted Bob in front of me and I yelled at him to RUN!

We ran together and decided to cross the finish at the same time. I felt like we were in a time warp - everyone was cheering, but I really couldn't hear them. It was really weird.

We crossed the line and I saw my support crew on the other side. I gave Daniel a kiss and gave Tina, Daryl, and Steve huge hugs. It was awesome! I couldn't believe I actually did it. I am an IRONMAN!!! WOW!
What would you do differently?:

Slow down in the chute and enjoy the finish line more. I was too focused on that 14 hour goal and I missed it by a lousy 14 seconds! Oh well - I had the best day ever - I can't imagine it being any better than it was. I thoroughly enjoyed every second of the race :)
Post race
Event comments:

I passed almost 500 people on the run! I can't believe it! "Don't eat the paste" is the best advice ever.

Last updated: 2007-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:36 | 4224 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 52/86
Overall: 1112/1975
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:42
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:23:52 | 112 miles | 15.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 63/86
Overall: 1504/1975
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 40/86
Overall: 1022/1975
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 5:59 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-02 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1644646

User image

Memphis, Tn
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Awesome job. Congrats on an awesome finishing time.
2008-09-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1644660

User image

Nampa, Idaho
Wow Maura! I can't believe you did it!!! Congratulations! So when's the next Ironman???
2008-09-02 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
peoria, az

Awesome RR!! I'm so freakin proud of you

After Florida we are going to plan a weekend with No training and lots of cold beverages!!

Huge Hug to you my friend!!

2008-09-02 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Awesome Race!!!  Way to execute!!  It was great to meet you, hope to see you at another race.
2008-09-02 10:17 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Way to go Ironman!!!!!  I love saying "Ironman", dont you?  Amazing race!!

2008-09-02 11:55 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Way to plan your race, and race your plan.  Great job out there!
2008-09-03 5:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go!!!!!  Great race!!!!!
2008-09-03 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Well done!
2008-09-03 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
Very well done, you must have been right behind me, as I was pushing hard to break that damn 14hr mark also. So I got 14:00:09. But I think we can round down, don't you.

FishHog
2008-09-03 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Fantastic race and RR!  Great job!

2008-09-03 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Maura,

What a tremendous day!  You handled yourself with such poise out there. I loved your RR. You didn't let that flat deflate your attitude.  What impresses me most is that you out-raced everybody MENTALLY and physically. 

Celebrate, Ironman!!

~B

2008-09-03 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job! That was awesome you got to RUN on the RUN portion of the race. Not many were (me included- thanks to hurting Achilles tendons).

Congratulations IRONMAN!
2008-09-05 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Excellent race Maura! THanks for helping my state-of-mind at the end and getting my butt running again. It has been fun training with you this year! Do you have any plans for longer distances next year?
2008-09-05 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
Great job sticking to your plan!  it's so hard to do in a race when getting passed.
2008-09-05 10:48 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great job...IRONMAN...!!!

Kenny

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed