United States
Jack and Adam's Bicycles
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 3:10 am and carpooled to Austin with two friends (including TexasMPGal). Had plenty of time, no real warm-up for this one. Wasn't feeling the best in the world before hand about this race as I had insufficient training in August due to work, but I was bound and determined I was going to do it. I kept telling myself that all it matters is to finish, no matter what the time (even though I'm really competitive with myself, so it's hard to do that) Next time I'll be better prepared.
Swim
  • 40m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out at the back of the deep water start, and somehow got off course in my first six strokes. When I looked up to sight, I was going so off it wasn't even funny. Got back on course and started drafting off others, just changing feet as needed. I was able to draft really well up until the turn around, then I lost them. My sighting also went to crap, and I added on so much time because of that it wasn't even funny. I was so POed at myself climbing out of the water, but once I saw my time I was happy, as I beat my goal time by 4 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Sight, sight SIGHT!!!!! I also think I needed more nutrition before starting the swim as I really was giving out at the end.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Really, really long run in and especially out of transition. I wasn't pushing myself too hard, just an easy jog as my HR was in the 170s coming out of the water. Everything went smoothly, though, concentrating on no wasted movements, and actually ended up with a decent T1 time.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This one was fun. I was thinking, can I do a 4th loop? There were some hard parts, especially on the false flats, but overall I did much better than I expected to do, beating my goal time again. My legs were sleepy getting on the bike, but that steep little hill by Run Tex woke them up, which is what I needed. After that, I was good to go until the last couple of miles when I realized I might have gone out too hard.

Nutrition - took a hit on my Power gel flask 4 times on course, but was feeling hungry. I might need to find some type of energy bar (or something else) that can help me out here. Also drank gatoraid, which my stomach handled without difficulty.

Needed to pee by the end of this and tried on the bike, but it so didn't happen. Oh well, just added another minute onto my already slow run.

Better prep and nutrition. Overall, I did better than expected.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Umm, I really don't remember too much, if anything, about this transition. Might be a good think, might be a sign that I was dehydrated. But at least I can make up some time in the transitions, especially since I didnt' even try to run with the bike
Run
  • 1h 18m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was tired. I started off doing a 1/1 walk/run combo, and eventually got to where I was running more than walking. But this was just a get to the finish line without passing out, getting light headed, or throwing up deal. Had some good moments, but mainly bad. It was below my goal time, and the spectators and volunteers really helped keep me going on this one, both with encouragement and with water hoses, sponges, and spray guns. Thanks guys!!!

Better hydration - I was so dehydrated at the end it wasn't even funny, even though i had to visit the port-a-potty between laps.

The main thing I need to do is better prep. That's my goal this winter, to train for a 1/2 mary in Feb with distance (will be relatively easy to get), and working to get down to a 10min pace. I know I can do it, I've done it for duathlons when I've been working on distance, and I know I can do it again. I've ran a 9min mile in a tri before, but that was the best running shape I've ever been, and I'm determined to get back there and stay there.

If anybody sees me slacking off from my scheduled runs, feel free to yell at me. I might need it during the hard months at work.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water, and tried not to throw-up, which I felt like if I ate anything I would. Really couldn't eat until we went to a restaurant. My HR was also pretty high for a while, like high 130s 30min + after the race. Did finally come down, though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Preparation and adequate hydration

Event comments:

Overall a great race put on. Great volunteers and people working the event, plus lots of spectators to help cheer you on. The people out there really helped keep me going on that run, so I am grateful to them.

Last updated: 2008-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:34 | 1640 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Out and back under the bridges
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:38:29 | 24.85 miles | 15.14 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop course with lots of people. Too crowded at times, especially when gaining speed on down hills. Had a few hills, false flats (which I hate with a firey passion), and some potholes that weren't marked. It was great that the majority of the loop was lined with spectators
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:18:37 | 06.21 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Few small hills but nothing bad. Some in the shade, but most in the sun. Decent number of aid stations, loved the sponges and the hoses and squirt guns to help keep you cooled off, and boy was it getting hot (mid 90s I think), so I needed all the help I could get.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 8:23 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2008-09-03 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1644957

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Way to push through and beat your swim/bike times! It was fun weekend with you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed