United States
DQ Events
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 06m 3s
Overall Rank = 72/363
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/23
Pre-race routine:

Text message from my friends waiting outside of my house woke me up at 5:30am so the day did not get off to a good start. I was also still plagued by stomach issues that had been bothering me all week. Had everything packed early in the week since I was on vacation down the shore for the 3 days prior to the race so I was able to get dressed and ready pretty quickly and it was only a short 20 minute ride to the race site. Drank some coffee and ate half a bagel on the way.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site with plenty of time to spare and grabbed the rack right at the bike out section so I was happy with that. Set up my transition area, grabbed my race packet, got body marked then did some light stretching. Jumped in the water for a quick 2 minute warmup just prior to the start.
Swim
  • 08m 29s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok swim. I got off to a good start (maybe too hard) but began to tire down the stretch. Just haven't been to the pool enough lately and I felt it. Had a much better swim at Stone Harbor in July.
What would you do differently?:

Additional swim workouts with an increased focus on speed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Ok T1. Long run in bare feet on tough road from swim to transition area. Have a deep cut on the bottom of my foot as a result. Also, forgot to close the velcro strap on my aero drink bottle and it fell off when I grabbed my bike off the rack. Didn't bother to grab it and try to put it back on as it would have taken way too long.

Not much other than securely fasten my aero drink. Nothing to drink on the bike as a result. Infinit sprint formula would have been nice since it was pretty humid out. I don't know that it affected me too much though.
Bike
  • 30m 35s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Had the best bike split of any race during my first 2 seasons of Tri's as far as mph is concerned. Felt good from the start and pushed the pace. The hills definitely wore my legs down though as I am not use to riding them in training or races and it showed on the run. After 2 seasons on my road bike I am currently in the process of buying a Tri bike and am choosing between the Trek TTX 9.0 and the Scott Plasma Pro. Both are 08s on a huge discount and I am really looking forward to training and racing on one of these bikes next season.

Not much. I just need to keep riding and ride more hills as well. Also, need to build my muscular endurance for next season through an off season weight training plan. Vineman Full is pretty tough bike course and I need to be ready.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Pretty quick t2. Just took a few extra seconds to grab a couple sips of gatorade since I didn't get to drink the Infinit on the bike.

Nothing - maybe just use the water on the course rather than take the time to drink the g-ade since it is a short race.
Run
  • 23m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

This was not a good run for me. I usually come in at least a minute or so better. However, I think that since I pushed the bike (PR) on a hilly course that it definitely affected my run time.

Ride more hills, tougher bricks, and really try to focus more on speed. Tough to do though since I had been training for my 1st HIM this season and will be training for my first IM next season.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with my friends and family after the race and grabbed some food and drinks. Hung out briefly then hustled home to watch PSU blow out Coastal Carolina 66-10. Good day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and motivation since Eagleman as well as not enough of a focus on speed. Had a solid race though. Overall it was a good end to the season even though I was unable to break 1:06 especially since I missed by 7 seconds in my last race and just 3 seconds in this race. Already looking forward to getting ready for next season but have the Philly Marathon to get ready for in Nov.

Event comments:

Good race that I will defintely do again in the future especially since it is so close to home.

Last updated: 2008-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:29 | 440 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 127/363
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Almost a straight line point to point
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:35 | 11 miles | 21.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 53/363
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of rolling hills with a couple of technical turns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal