World Triathlon Corporation
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 20m 51s
Overall Rank = 1143/1975
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 235/342
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3 and started getting ready. Walked over to transition at 430. We were let in a few minutes early so I was heading back to the hotel by 505 to get changed, use the bathroom and make sure my girlfriend, Mary Ann, was awake. I left for the swim start around 530 with MA and my dad (who was at the Econo Lodge) meeting me later. Got to the start and went to bathroom. Since it was dark I was not sure where the back of the line was so I snuck in around 100 feet from the ramp entrance. Met with the family and off I went.
Event warmup:

Walking then waiting.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 53s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jumped in at 720 and off I went. Swim was uneventful. Bumped a few times but that stopped once I was in the main channel. I tried not to get too far out into the river so I sighted a buoy a long ways off and swam toward it. That worked well as I swam right next to the final one right to the steps with little issue.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 09m 45s
Comments:

I was not in any hurry so I walked to the water stop then jogged to T1. Got my bag and into the tent. Made sure I had everything I needed, walked out, sprayed with sunscreen, quick stop in the bathroom and to the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 43m 55s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove the course the day before so I knew what I was getting into. I live near the beach so there are no hills. The last time I rode hills like that was when I was in high school in North Jersey. With that said I was surprised how I handled course. The hills did not bother me too much but the wind did. Thankfully there was a tailwind the last 30 or so miles and was able to hold 19-20 on the last part of River Rd. Great course. Only had to get out of saddle twice. I stopped 3 times- once at special needs and twice at the stop on 42. Stomach started to feel weird at the very end and that would be an issue later. Out and back was a little sketchy since the road was narrow and everyone was still bunched up.

Not sure- maybe ride the downhills into the uphills better.
Transition 2
  • 11m 40s
Comments:

Race staff took the bike and I jogged to get my bag. Once again I took my time and tried to relax. Had a GU and lots off water then got sprayed with sunscreen.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 52m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to get close to 13 hrs. but I quickly realized that all time goals were out the door. It was easily the hardest run I have ever had. I think the run/walk ratio was 50/50 but who knows. My stomach was a knot and I tried my best taking in fluids. Coke was helping but only a little. Plus the heat/humidity was tough. At the end of the 1st loop I saw my Dad. I knew he was worried but I told him I was ok and going to finish. I saw MA around the block and she walked with me a bit. The 2nd loop seemed to go by faster. The sun setting helped. About 3/4 mile to go my stomach finally gave out and I hurled. I actually felt better and was able to run the rest of the way in. 4th St. was insane. I saw my dad with 2 blocks to go and he was on the phone going nuts. I did not see MA but she was on a planter filming the finish. I high fived as many hands as I could and hit the finish. WOW what a relief. It was so loud I did not hear my name.

Could not tell you.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish and puked again. I was put in a wheelchair and taken to medical. (I was going to go anyway but barfing got me there quicker.) I did jump out of the wheelchair to get my finisher pic taken. Then off to medical for a bag of I.V.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT!!

Event comments:

Top notch all around. Not a single complaint. Well maybe the heat but you cannot control that. I thought the football game would be an issue and it was not at all. 10 out of 10!!

Last updated: 2008-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:53 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 179/342
Overall: 932/1975
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy
Course: Swim upstream behind an island for .75 and the rest was downstream to the Great Lawn. Time trial start.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:45
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:43:55 | 112 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 231/342
Overall: 1113/1975
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Go east of L'ville to do 2 30 mile loops. Prior to the loops there was a 10 mile out and back that had the toughest climbs of the day.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:52:38 | 26.2 miles | 13m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 235/342
Overall: 1143/1975
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops with the 1st 2 miles on the 2nd St. Bridge.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-03 9:08 AM

New user
Delaware
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-03 11:19 PM
in reply to: #1645721

User image

Austell, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations on a very well put together race.  Your an Ironman.
2008-09-04 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Awesome race!

Puke and rally, baby!!  Great finish, Ironman.

~B

2008-09-05 11:56 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Congrats IRONMAN!!!

Kenny
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed