United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 07m
Overall Rank = 1399/2100
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 218/320
Pre-race routine:

OK, I’ve been drinking all day, my tummy still hurts, and I have to go potty soon, so why not start my Race Report.
So if I leave someone out it’s not that there is just so much to write about here and I’m sure I’m going to miss some stuff as well as a few people. Plus many moments were the ones that you just had to be there. After a lady at the hotel parking lot yells at me saying that she designed the t-shirt I was wearing, only a few minutes later we are driving over to the swim start when she starts screaming hysterically to stop the car, and flies out of the car before I’m actually stopped. [ her sister surprised her by showing up J]
Actually I should start out by thanking just about everyone. Since I didn’t have a cheering section with me I think I ended up being adopted by everyone. **Hey anyone that has any of the many photos I was randomly jumping into at the dinner shoot me a note so I can give you my email to send them to me**
Ok I can see why everyone talks about the Ironman experience; they put on a great show and make you feel fantastic.
IT started off at packet pickup where they weigh you in, just like a prizefighter, I weighed in at **** yet was right at 15% BF like I’ve been tested before, I was also 58% water, 73%caffinee and by most people standards 87.3% BS. Ok my TV choices are The republican convention, rerun of the daily show, and World Series of Poker, Poker wins for now. Ok where was I … Did I mention that I’ve been drinking most of the day, plus I’m a light weight anyway so this might be a long RR. In fact my goal right now is for it to take longer to read than the amount of time it took me to do the Event. Lets see yes check in. The volunteer that was explaining everything to me was really cool, she actually thought I’ve done a few IM’s before since I was joking around and not so anal [her words] as the others. Then I had to go to a solutions booth, so right off I was recognized as a problem solver… very cool.
Ha funny commercial

Ok so I had my usual night before meal of a bacon cheeseburger and fries over at Hooters. Cool bonus to have it within a couple minutes walk of my hotel. The hooters girl that was sitting and talking with me had no clue that there was a huge IM race about to consume her town; she was concerned about the football game on Sunday. This reminded me that not everyone is into tri’s and not to take myself to seriously. Crapola have I even got to race morning yet?? Ok

I had set my cell phone alarm for 3:55 am, the room alarm clock for 3:56am, my other alarm for 3:58am, and my wake up call for 4am. This was my Rain man moment.. Please not even close J , I asked for a wake up call at 4am and woke up around ten till so I just decided to get up. Had my two ensures and a half a bagel with peanut butter so I was right around a thousand calories for a race that would start in 3hrs. * My dog is asleep on my foot. Sydney gave me a quick call to make sure I was up and I knocked on Karen’s door across the hallway to see if she was ready to go, but it was still to early to head over. So I watched the news a bit then we headed over. As we waited in the huge line to get into transition a truck started backing up and made that “beep beep” noise so everyone gets up thinking that transition opened. Somehow that made me laugh pretty hard. So we get into transition I fill up my aero bottle, put a Gatorade in my water cage, a couple extra gels in my bento box, borrowed some random guy’s pump to top off my tires, then headed out to see if I could see anyone. Talked with Bob a couple of minutes, found Sydney and helped her pump up her tires [give her lots of sympathy she spent 14hrs driving with me each way, hopefully she has recovered]. Went out and was able to sneak up on Kenny’s brother doing some video so he got a close up of my face screaming, then went down to the swim start. Saw Aaron and others who were amazed to see me jumping up and down since I was excited it was race day. It was pretty hectic at the swim start, all the port a johns were down away from where all the lights were, people jumping in line going no where, some how I ended up pretty close to the front, and once the line got moving I noticed that I was right next to Dewey, who swims at the same masters swim with me along with the guy who interviewed a bunch of us BT’ers the day before. Just a lot of sitting and waiting, I did jump the fence to use a nearby tree as my personal bathroom while waiting though.

Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 1h 22m
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim –
Gun goes off and the line starts moving quickly, the are actually telling people to hurry up getting up to the end of the dock. I had my goggles ready so I did a quick walk, went over the matt yelled Cannonball and went straight off the dock in a nice little cannonball. Unfortunately I forgot to start my watch, which made it difficult later in the day to have some idea of my overall time. The swim was pretty uneventful actually up to the turnaround I had this huge smile on my face and was laughing to myself.. I was actually doing an Ironman. My first triathlon ever was April of 2007 and less than a year and a half later I’ve gone from a local sprint to an Ironman. So anyway, I was able to get a decent draft up to the turnaround off of a couple of different people but after that I was basically alone for the rest of the swim, I would breath on my left side every couple of minutes just to see the shore and bouys. I’d see a few people about 10-15 ft to my left, then when I’d breath on my right I’d see people 10-15 ft to my right but up until the last 100 meters I was basically alone. I did see a barge, started laughing and took in some water since I don’t breath on my left side as well as my right. Does anyone remember the Calvin & Hobbs comic strip?? I still remember the one when calvin was letting out some great belches and his mother asked what he should say after that. He replied “must be a barge coming through” that cracks me up. Which got me thinking about how Calvin would make snowmen in different situations like car wrecks and such. So I was laughing until I got under the first bridge, I literally thought I was going nowhere while swimming. I’d look over and still see the bridge. I checked my internal targeting system and noticed that with the current I was always heading apx 32-34% to the right or into the river just to swim straight which I thought was weird. But it seemed to take me forever to get past those bridges. With the time trail start it seems that in the last couple of minutes everyone caught up to me, so if I started five minutes later I would have had more draft options.

What would you do differently?:

swim faster, and in a straight line
Transition 1
  • 08m 39s
Comments:

Got out of the water feeling good.. just a note to all the guys, either write your bib number on your chest or wear something other than dark colored swim trunks. I had to go through a huge pile of unknown pics to find myself. Thanks to everyone that yelled my name i could hear you yelling just couldnt' pick you out of the crowd to wave or anything
** Singha Lager rocks, best thai beer ever**
So I got my bag, went into the tent, found a couple of empty seats and dumped out everything, I didn’t realize that you had to ask for help but it didn’t’ matter I took my time, but didn’t think I went as slow as I did. Just made sure that I dried myself off, body glide, changed into my awesome Flag jersey bike top, loaded up all my food and took off. My helmet and shoes were on my bike. I should have put some flip flops in my bag since the ground was wet and my socks got pretty wet, But I got to my bike got the helmet on, bike off the rack and off I went. I didn’t attempt the flying start to instead just take it “easy”.

write my bib # on my chest, do a back flip on entry
Bike
  • 7h 34m 53s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.77 mile/hr
Comments:

Right away I started drinking some water and Gatorade that I left on my bike and start on my first cliff bar. I could tell I had a small headache I made sure that I started drinking some water thinking that it would go away soon. I have no idea how I got the headache. I could have twisted my neck wrong in the swim, maybe I swallow something in the water on the swim, or I just had a bad day. My plan was to stay in the small chain ring up to the turnaround and keep my cadence around 100 which is pretty normal rate for me, since the course was up hill until the turnaround and keep my HR down and average around 15 mph. Which I was able to do but my head keep pounding more and more. I keep thinking that it would go away, drank my water and GE but it just got worse. At the out and back there were lots of people on the bike course by then. The only bad part is that it’s a narrow road with some great downhills. I was really hoping to get over 50 on the downhills. On the first downhill I hit 48 mph but the road was so crowded and at that speed no one can hear you yelling “on your left” I was passing people about 5 feet over the yellow line into oncoming traffic of bikers and the course vehicles. This really freaked me out since there was no way I could stop in time for anything. Later I would learn that a bad accident happened there, either a car wondered onto the course or something that a cyclist crashed into at a pretty high speed. Anyway by mile 35-40 I couldn’t put out any effort on anything uphills downhills flats nothing.. since my head was literally pounding so hard I wanted to cry, each aid station I was asking everyone for a Tylenol, or something to make it stop. It was so bad that anytime I put something in my mouth I almost immediately spit it out, it didn’t’ matter what it was water, GE, food. I lost track of the times I would choke something down and would start to throw up, only to catch it in my mouth and attempt to reswallow it, which only made me sicker I think. So in the future when you need to hurl, just let it out baby, spew away. So basically from mile 45?? on all I had were sips of water, sips of Gatorade maybe one bottle total and two bites of a banana. Oh yea I did stop at special needs thinking I threw some advil in there. But all I had was an uncrustable, I did manage to keep two bites of that down. I wish I could remember the bike course more but the only thing I really remember was wanting to quit. I knew I wouldn’t actually quit, even though I saw a lot of people on the side of the road just sitting under trees for shade. I was really hoping that a car would just run into me and end my day for me. Or that a tree would fall on me..that's how bad I was hurting I didn't want to stop but if something happened to stop me I can't honestly say how much effort I would have put into finding a way out of it. I knew I wouldn’t quit on my own and I just keep thinking that all I needed to do was to get to the next aid station and maybe someone had something there I could take. Around mile 75ish I figured that I was also over heating with my aero helmet.. my bib numbers were covering up the vents so I wasn’t getting any ventalation, and there isn't a lot of vents to begin with so maybe that’s what caused my headache, but that headache started pretty early maybe an hour into the course?? Once I figured out that I stashed some Alieve in my run gear bag and if I could just make it back by the cutoff time. I would be able to survive the run and finish. So I guess I could have summed this up as one big headache, barf fest. Out of the four gel flasks I took I had three full ones at the end and a little left of the fourth. What I later also learned was that my back brake was rubbing for how long I don’t know but nothing went right on this ride. I know I wanted to quit not only this bike ride but triathlons all together. What really helped was knowing that I had people following me online. I don’t think anyone of you can realize how much that helped me. I keep remembering that quote someone has that “you can quit no one will know but you will” or something like that, which helped me. I just keep thinking make it to the next aid station then decide if you can keep going. ** hey security is talking some lady away during the Palin speech at the convention. What happened??** I don’t considering this that dark place that people talk about when they discuss their IM experience, there was no way I could have prepared for a headache that hits me maybe once every eight or nine months.

not have a killer headache, wear my regular helmet with more vents, fix my rear break before the race
I should have picked the pink bag at registration, I look good in pink
Transition 2
  • 14m 21s
Comments:

I got in someone grabbed my bike, and I was walking really slow to get my bag, I got to the changing tent and basically just sat down staring at my bag, someone brought me a cup of water which I dumped on my head and it made me feel better. I very slowly got changed. I went against the nothing new on race day and put on my new compression socks. I was still just sitting there with my garmin in my hat with my bandana. I was there with my head in my hands looking straight down at the ground. By this time a couple of other people and volunteers were asking me if I was ok, did I need help. I just keep repeating that “I’m ok” I knew if I said it enough I could convice myself. Then that scene in Bravehart popped into my mind.. that one where they are deciding if they should go into battle and the guy says “well I didn’t get dressed up for nothin” that put a smile on my face. so I started to put on my garmin. I looked at the garmin only to notice it was off. I thought I turned it on so I hit the power button again,, nothing but the message that said battery dead. I doubt it got turned on by accident while in my bag, more than likely when I turned it on the day before to locate the satellites I just forgot to turn it off. Again I just smiled and wondered what else could go wrong. Then I decided I would group that garmin in with the crappy bike ride and go out for a nice little run. As I was leaving the tent I saw Roger, sparty on BT and basically just a great all around guy so we went over got some sunscreen on and went to the run course

not much I was really amazed that I made it out of there. having my garmin would have been nice, but I can do the math in my head and lets face it I really wasn't going fast, I just wanted to keep moving forward anyway
Run
  • 5h 47m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Roger and I were walking when I told him just to take off that this would be a long slow walk for me. A couple minutes after he left I put those three brick workouts I did to good use and started a slow shuffle. I just wanted to get to that first aid station to get some food in me. This year it was up the 2nd street bridge so a little hill but once I got to the first aid station the first guy asked if I needed a cold sponge. Well I knew I was overheating and if I didn’t address that first not only would I not hold food down but I would hit a point where I just couldn’t continue. The last thing I wanted was to have someone dump water on my head since that doesn’t ‘ seem to work so well for me, it only runs down my back and either soaks my legs or causes chaffing issues so I asked him to step aside, took in a deep breath and plunged my entire head into the huge bucket of ice water and sponges. That lasted what seemed like 60 seconds but most likely was only 20. Once I pulled my head out, the guy was looking at me like I was crazy, so I did it again. Then I put ice in my hat, and my bandana which I tie so the ice is on the back of my neck. Now I had a cold chills so I went up to the food and ate a couple of oranges, bannanna’s, Gatorade and coke. Just stuffed as much into my mouth as possible. Attempting to make up for all the calories I missed on the bike. I have no idea why but I can eat easier on the run than the bike sometimes. Plus I know I can hurl while running if I have to without breaking stride. The other great thing about being up on the bridge was we had a great cool breeze coming through. Which brought my temp down a little bit more.. So once I got off the bridge I see Roger who was just finishing up talking with his family. We started off running together and with his garmin he was able to pace us. Somehow we kept speeding up to just under a sub 10 min/mile pace and I figured that my legs/stomach were coming around and just kept running. After a bit he let me go and I did some math in my head. I knew that I wasn't going to be doing 10min.miles for long and I would end up walking. so if I could just shuffle around a 11min.mile and take a min break at each aid station I would be ok. Remember I had no idea what my swim time was, just my bike and transition times. So I’d look at my watch and think I just have to get in before midnight, the only problem was I couldn’t remember if I set my watch to eastern time or not. So my thought was just avg around a 12min/mile for as long as you can.. My first goal was just to run the first hour, say screw it and start walking, then after an hour I didn’t feel so bad. So I figured I’ll see if I can make it 90 min, then 2 hr and so on. I was actually amazed that except for the aid stations and I ran until mile 21 then I just stopped mostly to talk with some people. I lost track of all the BT’ers I saw on the course, but I did my best to say hello to them all. Sydney, David, Roger, Mike, Abbie, Karen, Amy, Kattie, Bob, Shawn,Grit-nuggut, see what I mean there are more..At one point Aaron came out of no where to check in on me and give me a quick pep talk,, thanks dude.. later on he was even trying to give me a monster drink but there was no way I was even trying that after all the issue’s I had on the bike. every aid station was the same, coke, Gatorade water and more ice for the bandana. What’s weird is that’s a couple hundred calories per station, at four/five stations an hour so I’m taking 800-1000 calories an hour running, with no stomach issue’s..except for the aid station around mile 5, where I took extra time to chat up the cute volunteer but she wouldn’t give me her number.
Right after the first loop you get so close to the finish then you head back out, right then I decided screw this I’m walking the 2nd loop about ten seconds later I see Jonny, Karen boyfriend/support crew, who started bribing me if I would just keep going. It worked. I just keep doing my slow little shuffle. I was amazed at how many people were walking, at this point, it was total carnage out there. People were dropping like flies, The 2nd loop was pretty uneventful since I just kept moving forward. Of course right at the end my left hamstring was acting like it might cramp up, but only when I would take a walk break. Miles 22-23 were just as quick as a walk as possible.

Coming into that finishers chute was amazing, really for the whole day I never had that mentally break down feeling that people talk about just a horrible headache on the bike. But I was happy it was over, even still I was thinking as I crossed that I could easily go another 5-6 miles to make it a 50k instead of a marathon.. anyway I just did an easy walk over the line and was smiling to myself. It was over, my first and only Ironman was over. Just call me mr one & done J

not much I blew off lots of long runs, I trained well for the bike and swim, and i'm actually amazed at how well I did on the run given the fact that I had very little run training. most of my long runs were maybe 60-75 min. with only a couple around 2 hr and one 3 hr one. I bought into the train well for the swim and bike so you have something for the run and I can't complain, it's not my fastest marathon but I was able to keep my little shuffle going
Post race
Warm down:

the guy that I got my post race massage from is the massage therapist for the dallas mavericks, so I got a nice long massage as we talked hoops. the first thing he asked me when he found out that I live in dallas and I'm a huge mavs fan was about avery leaving.. I asked him if he heard of the fireavery.com website..:) bonus points for me

What limited your ability to perform faster:

carrying fifty extra pounds on my body. thinking too much about the easy mon IM that I'm trying to get an invite to

Event comments:

well I've said that this was my one and only IM distance race.. Yet I've just signed up for it again next year.

one the car ride back to dallas, Sydney was telling me about Nuuns, salt tablets and other electrolytes. I don't use any. ever. i'll do gatorade but that's it. so for this whole event I had two bottles of gatorade on the bike and a cup at each aid station usually. I need to look into that more since it might help me?? I think she was amazed that I had no clue about this type of stuff and never use it

Last updated: 2007-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:00 | 3862 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/320
Overall: 0/2100
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: in the Ohio river, 1/3 into the current 2/3 with it,, not much current though
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:34:53 | 112 miles | 14.77 mile/hr
Performance:
pretty easy, the hills pushed it into the higher zones, but with my headache I just couldnt' push at all without feeling like fainting/passing out
Wind: Strong
Course: there was always a headwind it seemed.. and a pretty strong one
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 14:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:47:33 | 26.2 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
Performance:
all zone 1 & 2 baby. I went at whatever pace kept me at 142 or lower, I know I can go forever at that HR as long as I eat and dont cramp up
Course: we ran up a bridge, around town, there were little orange cones that keep talking to me
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-03 11:03 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-03 11:06 PM
in reply to: #1648211

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Gary great race report, plan on putting any iother nfo in it????

2008-09-03 11:06 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal

Gary great race report, plan on putting any iother nfo in it????   double post...it was soo good!

Edited by AbbieR 2008-09-03 11:06 PM
2008-09-03 11:41 PM
in reply to: #1648220

User image

Champion
the colony texas
crapola I just hit save and go to see if it posted and you commented on it already.. wow..that was fast.. oh wait you won't see this
2008-09-04 6:53 AM

User image

Planet earth
Dude, you rock! I am so happy you signed up for next year, see what hanging out with me does? I had a blast with you, see you soon in Austin!! TAKE IT EZ MON!
2008-09-04 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Congratulations and great RR (as always)

Hope to meet you and the other local BT'ers at a DFW area race. 

2008-09-04 7:56 AM

User image

Champion

I think next year's entry move should be a half-gainer with a twist while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

Did you get a happy ending with that post-race massage?  

Great job, Gary!  Congrats Ironman!  Welcome to the Family. 

2008-09-04 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Mansfield, TX
Gaarryy!!!!!!!!!

It was good that you got Gary "Fingers" Fineske for your massage. He gave me an hour on Saturday and he is a cool guy. That should help with your recovery.

Awesome seeing you in T2 it was a good pick-me-up after 112 miles in the saddle.

It has been an awesome journey in so many ways. Congrats dude
2008-09-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1648533

User image

Pro
Texas
CubeFarmGopher - 2008-09-04 7:56 AM

Did you get a happy ending with that post-race massage?

No, that's part of the bribe I offered him. Let's just say an Asian bath-house off Royal Lane is going to be making out like gangbusters soon.

Good job Gary, I'm proud of you man.
2008-09-04 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Great report and awesome effort!  I so wish that I could have seen the cannonball start.
2008-09-04 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX

I read your race report then immediately downed a six pack and reread it and it all makes perfect sense now.

I can't believe you managed to get through the bike with that little amount of fluids - I drink almost that much in a sprint.  Way to hang in there and congrats Gary!

2008-09-04 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race, Gary!!!!  You are an ironman!!!!!!
2008-09-04 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
you're awesome. great report. great race. i cannot believe you signed up to do it again, you crazy man. after CdA next year...i'm OUT! great job dude...very proud of you. so fun to talk to you with 1.5 left in your marathon...just awesome.
2008-09-04 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race report and awesome job! That cannonball start is awesome. People are too serious about this stuff sometimes--you just make me laugh. Life's too short not to be funny! Enjoy the monster and M&Ms recovery.
2008-09-04 11:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX

Gary,

Just an awesome race report...both serious and hiliarious at the same time!  You did such a great job despite the difficulties on the bike.  I can't believe you signed up for it again next year...craziness!!!  Congratulations! 

2008-09-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1648740

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
BigMoney - 2008-09-04 9:09 AM

I read your race report then immediately downed a six pack and reread it and it all makes perfect sense now.

I can't believe you managed to get through the bike with that little amount of fluids - I drink almost that much in a sprint.  Way to hang in there and congrats Gary!

It made a ton more sense after I had drank some too.

Congrats Dude....way to represent Tejas!

2008-09-04 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
What a great RR Gaarryy! Sounds like a truely amazing experience for you. The story telling was great, glad you made it, HUGE congrats on becoming an Ironman! and after only a year and a half! Great job.
2008-09-04 12:31 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

As always, the race report, or your performance did not disappoint.  Congratulations mr 1 and done IRONMAN!!!

I find it weird that there is no mention of M&M's??

2008-09-04 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Congratulations Gary! Man, I got a headache just reading your RR. What a day, what an effort! Unreal progress within a very short time. You are the man! Ironman!!!

2008-09-04 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Congratulations Gary.   I saw you finish!  You looked quite happy!
2008-09-04 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Congrats on becoming an Ironman!  Great race report!  Truly an amazing accomplishment (writing the race report while drinking).

2008-09-04 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

Gary,

Great RR. I have to admit I think it was the best I've ever read but it was a little short on detail . I like all the little asides in your report. It kind of reminds me of an epsiode of Herman's Head would be like, if I had ever watched that crappy show.

BTW, how much DID you have to drink that night before you wrote it? Great Job Ironman.

Edited by David tri's 2008-09-04 4:28 PM
2008-09-04 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Gary you rocked it man! You made it through the miserable bike and owned the run! Great come back! You held in there and finished! With a good time too!

Just think how good you might do if your brake weren't on the whole time and your head felt OK?

Congratulations! It was an honor experiencing the weekend with you!

2008-09-04 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Way to push through the pain and show what you're made of.  AWESOME work Ironman!
2008-09-05 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Enjoyed the race report and getting to know you.  Very cool we started BT and triathlon around the same time, and have had very similar experiences and races from then on.

You write a race report like none other!    Great job, Ironman!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  

of 2