General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking Leg issue: Numbness in feet after 80 miles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-05 2:54 AM

Veteran
Kentucky
Subject: Biking Leg issue: Numbness in feet after 80 miles

I just finished my first IM and I have one nagging issue. On the bike rides after 80 miles I get a burning feeling in my feet so bad I have to stop riding. I try to go slower, 16 mph but at the next hill it hurts more, drop lower to 9 mph but can  not recover. I have to stop get off the bike and rub my feet. after 3 to 5 mins I am ok and I can ride 18 mph again. During the race I had to stop three times. My HIM race was at 17.5 and I was not pushing it (training day) but this was only 56 miles. I should be able to maintain 18+ based on strength and endurance.

This is a real performance issue. I ave 15.5 mph for IMLOU and got passed by hundreds. On the run I did well and no issue. passed 300 people and had plenty of gas in the tank at the end of 26 miles. This also occurrend in training the same way after 80+ miles.

I saw people with stockings on their legs, Is this a circulation issue? What can be done?

BTW I am 50 year old.

2008-09-05 4:39 AM
in reply to: #1651947

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Biking Leg issue: Numbness in feet after 80 miles
Those compression socks are for something else and I doubt they would help with your issue.

What type of cleats are you using? The cleats may be putting pressure on your feet and cutting off circulation or compressing a nerve. I guess your shoes could be doing that too, if they are too narrow or adjusted too tightly.

You might want to think about insoles too. If your feet are canted on the pedals, you might be putting pressure on some nerves in there. Changing your foot position could relieve the numbness.

Doing a google search for "hot spots" might also yield some solutions. It is fairly common for people to have these issues on the bike, so a lot has probably been written on blogs, etc.

It's a tricky problem to solve, because you have to use a little trial and error to find a solution that works for you. Good luck.
2008-09-13 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
I'm having similar issues. Just my left knee and foot. I went to a new bike frame this year so sometime this off season I will search out a good bike fitter, starting with the shoes/cleats. If you haven't looked into this it would be a good place to start. I'm doing Louisville next year so I hope to see you there!
2008-09-21 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

I get this once in a while on longer rides as well, particularly early in the season.  One thing that helps me (doesn't fix it, but makes it tolerable) is to spend 5 minutes or so "pulling" on your pedals instead of pushing at your normal push point.  It will probably drop your pace some, but typically not down to 9mph like you posted.  This usually has the effect of getting the circulation back into my feet and reducing the pain, especially when I remember to scrunch my toes a few times on each feet every so often.

Please note that this will work some slightly different leg muscles, and I can't comment whether or not that would have any effect on a run after a long bike ride, but it does seem to work to keep my feet happy.  YMMV.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking Leg issue: Numbness in feet after 80 miles Rss Feed